Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Porsche Crest Project Heavy Metal - an all steel classic, remastered

First – my apologies for the title. Maybe it’s a little over the top. Too much. That’s not really my style. But I wanted it to be catchy, and exciting. It should probably be titled “OMG not another backdate”. My second choice for a thread title was “Project Snowball - a body in white...” but that was a bit girlie I thought. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

So, this is a catchy-titled new thread on an old project (spoiler alert – clicking the link below will take you back in time to 2013).

Old member, new project, obligatory pics.

That gives a bit of background on the car and my starting point. A good solid SC with a bit of character, and an interesting past, but a with a mismatched CIS motor that didn’t really run well and some questionable details. This new thread begins at the beginning, but ends partway through, with a body shell, painted, in Single Stage Grand Prix White. I like to think I am as far down the slippery slope as I can get by now. Except that means it’s all uphill from here?

In this thread I’ll present the preparation of the body shell from start to finish, and focus mostly on details that relate to doing a backdate in a fairly accurate, factory correct manner. There are a lot of things that are people miss, or ignore, or simply don’t realize, about the process. I had no clue about most of this when I started, so this thread is my best attempt at giving back a bit. I’m a bit of a detail fanatic. Things bug me if they aren’t just so….. you’ll see. I’ve learned to accept that I have a problem. Maybe several. I try to use them to my advantage.

Now of course there is no right or wrong, everyone does things differently, but my hope is to re-create the longhood driving experience, as convincingly as possible, but amplified. A 73 911, but a little cleaner, lower, meaner, faster, lighter, louder and shinier than the real thing. Maybe put together with a bit more care than the production line allowed for. Along the way I’m discovering that every impact bumper car has a longhood hiding inside it waiting to get out…. This thread documents some of that. Full disclosure – the car isn’t done. It’s painted. I work slowly. Don’t get your hopes up too much. I’ll get caught up to present day over the next few weeks but updates might be sparse after that. I’ll try to keep at it, and keep up with updates in real time as I move (hopefully quickly!) forward. I am selfishly using you guys and gals as motivation to keep at it.

Once I got the car, I did what any reasonable person would do. I put it in storage and tried to forget about it. It didn’t work. I had rented some garage space a half hour away where I could access the car, jack it up and have a good look-see, and even disassembled the front end in an effort to assess the condition of the tub. It was about this time that I caught the backdate bug. It’s a real thing. I think maybe it’s a strain of tetanus. Apparently it’s drug resistant.

I started to obsessively research doing a backdate and shop for parts. The asking prices at the time for nice used steel hoods, fenders, etc. were not much less than brand new, genuine parts direct from Porsche. In some cases the asking prices for rusty, dented, crappy hoods were more than I paid for new. So I bought all new body parts from the factory. For me, having fresh new sheet metal, shipped to my door in one easy purchase, made it an easy decision. And I started to accumulate some other bits too. Reading the PET is dangerous.

I got a hood, front fenders, steel “S” bumper, and steel RS touring rear bumpers (really!!!) from Porsche. Probably a bunch of other stuff I’m forgetting. I got a new front latch panel, suspension pan, fuel tank support, etc. from Restoration Design, along with a reproduction alloy decklid (a Christmas present… “To: Me. Love, Me.”) I drilled it for the gold emblems 911 and P O R S C H E. I displayed it in the living room for as long as I thought I could get away with. Not long really.

Fast forward a bit and I found a really nice shop space, perfect for my needs, large enough, well lit, 12 ft. ceilings, gas heat, affordable rent and a 3 minute drive from my house. It’s in an older neighborhood and backs onto a laneway so nobody is going to complain about a little noise, paint fumes, etc. I’d been without a place to work since I gave up my last shop in 2007 order to quit my j-o-b and start a business. That’s working out OK for me, so I have some free time here and there to play with cars and bikes. Nice to have a shop again and have dirt under my fingernails and primer dust everywhere.

The shop is small by most people’s standards but I can only work on one thing at a time…. parts and cars have a habit of expanding to fill the available space anyway, so less shop = fewer headaches. And I have storage elsewhere.

Finally a year or so into my ownership of this 78 I got to work on it in earnest. My original plan when I first got the car was to do it as a hot rod impact bumper “Beater” SC, keeping the groovetastic P359 Mottled Cork Interior. I even bought a Blaupunkt cassette player to fit the hole in the dash left by the CD player that I couldn’t stand to look at. I was also going to put EFI on it and started to research throttle bodies and injection, when a funny thing happened – somehow Mechanical Fuel Injection grabbed my attention. Initially I thought the throttles and stacks could be a great basis for an EFI system….. but then I learned more and more about the MFI system and became thoroughly fascinated. I am probably going to be very, very, very sorry I ever did this, but I dove headfirst into buying MFI pumps, throttle bodies, stacks, air cleaners, fuel filter consoles, you name it. I have two of everything. 3 of some things. I have a brand new 2.7RS space cam from Bosch. Injectors. Lines. Wiring diagrams. Reams of papers and books (some of them in English). And I have started to build a test bench for the pump. Fun stuff. All this started driving the project in a certain direction.

But never mind that. That’s for another thread. By the time I ever get to that we will probably have flying cars and I’ll have to buy gas on the black market. Point being, the possibility of MFI on a 3.2SS in a galvanised steel backdated body, was just too yummy to ignore and the plan for the car really started to gel.

Last edited by Jonny042; 12-10-2017 at 07:12 AM..
Old 12-06-2017, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I really like where this is going.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Cool! Just commenting to make sure I don't lose track of the build thread again.
Good work so far!
And a bunch of parts I haven't installed yet.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

BEAUTIFUL

a duck tail would be nice with the old dansk twin pipe sport muffler.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 12-07-2017, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Very cool project and beautiful work.
1971 914-6 #0372
2016 Audi S3 DD
2010 997.2 C4S 6 Speed
Old 12-07-2017, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thought I should mention....

Just thought I should clarify, this is NOT my picture. Not sure who to credit for it, I had it in my "MFI Stuff" folder.

A thing of beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post

Old 12-07-2017, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Please sir may I have another?

More please sir?

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed"

Silver 1984 M491 Sunroof Coupe
Old 12-07-2017, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Open Highway Productions

Very intrigued. Dare to be different is a great thing in my book. Keep us in the loop.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I have not opened a MFI pump in over 20yrs. but I will try to show my ignorance of them. they are really cool, like a miniature engine.

there is a black part next to a tall spring on the left about half way up. that thing is like a program in an EFI system. it has a 3 dimensional "map" on it in that the sleeve rotates left or right and moves front to back. at least I think that that is what moves.
there is an arm that rides on the surface that controls the opening of how much fuel goes to the injectors. this is also what goes bad. the sleeve will get a groove in it from the same loads on the engine all the time and the arm does not open the ports like it should.

the big part below it has centrifugal weights on it. as rpm goes up the weights move out and I think they move the sleeve front to rear.

its really cool how it can richen the mixture for low RPM when you press the throttle.

I don't remember what the arm looks like but it has like a ball bearing on the end pressed into it.

the shaft on the right with the grooves moves in and out to open and close the fuel ports.

this makes me sick......I threw the one I had away not knowing that there would ever be an internet and a site like this ....I had the entire system off of a 2.2e
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 12-07-2017, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Updates are forthcoming. Hopefully have time for another installment this weekend.

In the meantime how about a pic of my white board?

Old 12-07-2017, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Shop Art!

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed"

Silver 1984 M491 Sunroof Coupe
Old 12-07-2017, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Epic expensive "White-board"!

Luv it!
Old 12-07-2017, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I would rather be driving

Love the white board. Gives me ideas.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 12-07-2017, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4flyboy View Post
More please sir?
Stick to the basics propellerhead. Flat head or phillips. Go any further and your head will bust open.

Jonny... nice project. Title is perfectly over the top! Love it!

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2
Prior: '74 Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930. '79 Anthracite 930
Old 12-07-2017, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Victim

What can I say, beautiful!

1985 M491
Old 12-07-2017, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
The nose job

So I mentioned taking apart the front end of the car, enough to see what was up. Obviously I decided at that point there was no point in resisting the backdate urge any more, and that there was no point bolting the impact bumper stuff back in place.

I took it apart some more and had a good look around.

Not really liking what I found on the left front..... this is the damage that pushed me over the backdate cliff in the first place.

It was pretty obvious what to do next. At this point I think I was still planning to keep the pan and the tank support.

You can see some "typical" battery tray corrosion that's migrated onto the tank as well.

At this point I figured I'd be doing a "normal" backdate, just somehow grafting in the early latch panel but its easier to say than do. I did some test fitting. It was very inspirational.

Still grooving on that interior. The prototipo was an improvement.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Nose job part 2

THEN I discovered that the damage to the front left corner (which had been repaired long ago, albeit poorly) was not all I was dealing with. Someone had "beefed up" the front tie-down/tow hooks, and I believe the PO did some off-roading in the car, resulting in them being bent (along with the front control arm mounts) Hint to previous owners - if you tell a potential buyer that the car has never been damaged, you should NOT provide receipts for bodywork when the car is delivered. OK, so all that was repaired and painted was the front valance, but there was other evil lurking within that should have been caught.

It's a bit tough to tell from those pics but basically the pan was done, along with the front control arm mounts. so it had to come out and the fun really began.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Nose Job Part 3

Now, I must have gotten carried away and forgot to take progress pics right about now this time. Because next thing you know I decided to go all-out with removing the impact bumper stuff. It is at this point where I think this build diverges from the typical backdate.

Old 12-07-2017, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
wow
Old 12-07-2017, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Impressive! I had my share of cutting and welding on the DS front and rear due to rust but nothing like this.

Keep the pics coming.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: