Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Wildman Emeritus

My current approach, both at my place in NW Wisconsin and the Pcar is peppermint oil on cotton balls. Seemed to work up north in warmer weather but with winter here, their desire for housing may outweigh their dislike of peppermint. I will have to be vigilant.
Sure like the pool approach and have several 5 gallon buckets soooo I think I have a project for today
2009 Suby Forester Wife's
2000 Boxter - Sold
Old 12-08-2017, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
For you guys using the bucket with the pop can and peanut butter We use this trap at our hunting camp. Rather than water we use anti freeze as it may sit there a long time and no one around to empty the critters. The advantage is it will not freeze but most of all there is no smell of decaying mice when using the anti freeze.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
I use the bucket trick around the exterior of my house since our neighborhood is infested with chirpy chipmunks that are very destructive. They love to burrow under things and undermine your sidewalks and patios and landscaping, etc. One day I caught eight (8) of them all in the same bucket. Apparently they didn't care that their buddies went in and didn't come out.

I put a ramp up to the bucket and spread sunflower seeds in the water. It creates a can't resist layer of seeds that is basically rodent quicksand. Do the same for your garage. It's nearly foolproof. All you have to do is lead them to it and in they go.......

And I know the feeling of finding that in your car. Very annoying to find a massive stockpile of peanuts (nuts were from a friend's house where the car was previously stored) stuffed into the center tunnel of your 911

Winter Storage Tip
Old 12-08-2017, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 964TargaC2 View Post
I have used the ultrasonic repellers and havent had a problem since
What brand did you use? Curious as it may be nice to add to my shed (that has power) to keep them away from my spare parts and yard stuff.

FWIW - I've had good luck soaking cotton balls in mint oil and putting dryer sheets inside and under the car.
'02 S6 Avant
'99.5 A4 2.8 / '65 Ducati Falcon 80
Old 12-08-2017, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Location: behind the redwood curtain, (humboldt county) california
Garage
Rubber snakes

I had a client with dog food in the garage. Rats/politicians,and/or mice were loving it. Owners garage door had a big gap under the threshold gasket. The owner put a rubber snake just inside the door - worked very well, kind of like truth repels politicians.
Chris
Old 12-08-2017, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Bob, thanks!

Im going to have to try the bucket trick

I have a rat in the walls of my shop. I can hear her in the evening out in the shop knocking over bear bottles in the corner.

She was behind some cabinets and I dropped a dryer sheet in there and she came screaming out like her hair was on fire, shrieking at the top of her lungs.

I had mouse traps out. She robbed them

I arranged the mousetraps with the loaded one in the centre of a grid of mouse traps. She crossed all of them and robbed the one in the centre

At this point I figured it was a rat, big enough to reach around?

I bought two live traps. In the smaller one I caught a mouse, and a small rat

In the bigger one, I lost my stash of peanuts and peanut butter. I have no idea how she got the peanut butter off the bottom of the trigger plate without setting it off.

I tried a bucketcontraption with a stick that pivots. She broke the stick, took the peanut butter but did not end up in the water.

I set up my live trap with a path of sticky trays in front of the entrance. She navigated that and still stoled my peanut butter without setting off the trap or getting stuck.

Now I have bed bugs in my apartment that must have followed me home from a trip in my suitcase. I think they are (females too. Females cause all my trouble)

The critters have won.

Time to try a pop can in my shop, and turn off the heat in the apartment building and abandon ship and head south for a while and let sub zero temperatures and pop cans with antifreeze do their trick. Im putting all my freshly laundered stuff I need in my cold truck and leaving it parked for a week in sub zero temps in order to quarantine my stuff before I go.

It was easier living in a tent this summer in Alaska.
What a year I've had...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBob View Post
Mice swear at this contraption when they hit the 5” of water in the bottom. Pulled out two swimmers yesterday. Well they had stopped swimming. I have 2 of these in the corners of the garage. About 20 hit the pool last year. I have them in the corners since they like to travel along the walls. Put bait blocks in the frunk but they usually don’t make it past pool time. Peanut butter is just too tempting.

Last edited by wayner; 12-08-2017 at 08:36 AM..
Old 12-08-2017, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

I scatter bounce sheets throughout my car for winter storage.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Back when my 944 was in (barn) storage...two cats took up residence, in the back of the car, for the better part of a year. Thing is...they were fastidiously clean - did not pee/poop in the car, and kept mice (and other critters) away!

To the post mentioning that when mice die they dry up...keep in mind that this (drying) process takes awhile - and that during this time they can really stink!
Old 12-08-2017, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
I had a friggin pack rat move into my wife's SUV while it was visiting my in laws in the country. I tried a bucket trap. The rat gleefully consumed my peanut butter. I tried old skool snap traps. Ate my fn cheese. So I broke down and bought a Rat Zapper. The first evening I set it up my ratty friend was quickly rendered dead as *****. Best part is I had a security cam set up and got to watch it live. Was awesome. PS I hate rats and mice and certainly would not want one to eat some poison and then curl up in a cozy corner of my car to decompose.

https://www.amazon.ca/Rat-Zapper-Ultra-Rodent-RZU001/dp/B00CM859OA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512765161&sr=8-1&keywords=rat+zapper+ultra
Old 12-08-2017, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Kid you not, I kept a couple baggies of dog treats in the glovebox of my DD Toyota Yaris for when I picked him up from water therapy; mice got into it ate the treats, but only pooped in one of the empty bags- not in the glovebox.

It was like "hey, we know we're stealing your treats, but we don't have to be complete jerks about it!"

Dryer sheets seemed to work for me when my garage was less tight; when I built the new one, I was vigilant about leaving no gaps.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 12-08-2017, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Damnit!

Now the ff’er stoled my stinky pad trap
Old 12-08-2017, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

https://www.carbag.com

^ So far the only thing that has kept the furry little f¥€Kerr’s at bay.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Snap traps with peanut butter in every corner of the garage. Poison is pretty rough, and sometimes the mice get stuck in the walls, die, and smell.

Drown buckets are inhumane.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Thumbs up

I have had good luck "so far" with a pump spray bottle called "Repel" from Lowes , about $13 .....smells like crap for the first 10 minutes , but then it dries, it doesn't and doesn't kill them either, because I didn't want to try to find stiffs anywhere.It does leave a nasty taste for them with no return, lasts for 2 months and spray again
1966 Bug stock-2004 Toyota Rav4-1989 XJ6 Jag
1975 914, 1965 Norton N15CS 750, 1975 Husqvarna 360 CR GP
Old 12-09-2017, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
Snap traps with peanut butter in every corner of the garage. Poison is pretty rough, and sometimes the mice get stuck in the walls, die, and smell.

Drown buckets are inhumane.
Inhumane? You gotta be kidding me.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 12-09-2017, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
?tf

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNick View Post
Inhumane? You gotta be kidding me.
It is not like we are going to waterboard the little MF

Speaking of which, why doesn't someone do that to the wretched orange haired orangatang offspring currently messing everything up???

Probably gonna get roasted for this,
chris
Old 12-09-2017, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Politicians in the berry bushes & my 308 -snakey to the rescue..

So, while I was starting the 74 911 front end overhaul and going down the slippery slope, I had to move the old Ferrari 308 out of the garage, into a Costco canvas car port that was right next to a humungous hedge.
This project had stalled for want of time and so one day when I went out to exercise the 308, I noticed that the temp gauge was pegged. I raised the engine cover to find that the escapees from city hall had packed and I mean really packed little branches full of berries from the hedge all over the place - in the valley between the webbers, where some orange haired mf also chewed through the temp sender wire, hence the pegged gauge. They also packed berry branches on top of both fuel tanks and all around the radiator up front. fortunately, they did not get inside the interior.
Anyway, pulled the air cleaner and removed the tightly packed berry branches, fixed the wire, cleared the engine compartment and the radiator area, AND brought in the rubber snakey to reside under the car, with malice aforethought, (for the politicians).

And, it worked, no more "trouble".

True Story,
chris
Old 12-09-2017, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
How is the bucket any different than enticing them with peanut butter and then snapping their spine with a spring trap? The trap is better because it’s somwhat instant? They’re dead either way
Old 12-09-2017, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Behind the Sun

I just leave the car permanently running. Turns my garage into a gas chamber

Muahhahahhahahahahah,
Old 12-09-2017, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTL View Post
How is the bucket any different than enticing them with peanut butter and then snapping their spine with a spring trap? The trap is better because it’s somwhat instant? They’re dead either way
Bucket is 24/7 and never stops. Trap is a one shot deal.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 12-09-2017, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: