Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

A small dent turns into a project, need 74 Carrera inspiration pics

Took the 85 out of the garage so house painters could do shutters inside on a day with on/off rain showers. I had just taken out of winter storage. 2 miles from house swerved to avoid T-boning an SUV that pulled across 2 south bound lanes into my north bound lane. Guy behind me connected with passenger side rear fender resulting in a 2 inch dent (seen directly above wheel).

That was in April. Drove it to body shop. Moved house, went on vacation, took summer off, had shoulder surgery. Picked up an 88 951 cos it was screaming deal (COMPLETE RIOT TO DRIVE BTW). Finally started to deal with it last month. Shop removed lower rocker panels to also tackle door jam rust while they were in there, exposing large rust through sill, inner and outer rocker. Silver lining I can deal with it before it fell apart and good news is floor pan and suspension mounts etc. solid, drivers side all good too. Still a lot to cut and weld.

I've ALWAYS wanted RS, RSR style backdate, so is this an opportunity? Well after discussion with shop reminding me I spent all the money on 951, I consulted our good board for inspiration and have fallen for a 74 style Carrera like below. Also plan to add 17" replicas and upgrade/lower suspension. Probably leave rocker covers off, exposed oil line. Will post pics of project.

Any more inspirational pics for me? The car had Carrera door graphics at one point based on adhesive residue so maybe I'm redoing a project to the same car!

Would really like to be pointed to sources for the duck tail style rear deck?

Inspiration

Cheating on my 911 with blue baby ;-)

Old 12-08-2017, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
That may also need the kidney bowl and a door latch panel. You likely know this, but I'll be Captain Obvious by saying make sure the body shop cuts out all the cancer now, so that you're not fighting it again in a year or two. Best of luck, John in CT
Old 12-08-2017, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks John, yes definitely need door latch panel. Moved it to another shop this morning and they are going to dig even deeper to find any and all issues.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I always seem to say this to anyone interested in 911 body repair, but two excellent sites that show more than we generally see here on PP (as in, projects involving old / rotted 911 shells being restored to perfection). First is DDK-online.com, a British club site; check Restoration Threads.

Second, check out the website for Classic Carreras, a very cool shop in Ireland that posts pictures of its body shell restoration work, all done on a Cellette bench, very systematic. Even if you're not doing your own work, you'll find detailed pictures of what's involved. We also learn how the galvanized body loses its anti-rust mojo when it's driven year round in a damp country that salts the roads...as in, most of northern Europe.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

JJ speaks the truth, apply the iceberg theory to any rust you see!

Got some pics of my 2013 restoration (I hope) below - not 74 but may give you some idea of where rust may lurk.

Sportwagen by Shirish Patel | Photobucket
Old 12-08-2017, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Sorry to thread jack, but how are those heater boxes working? SP_CS ???
Old 12-09-2017, 03:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3literpwr View Post
Sorry to thread jack, but how are those heater boxes working? SP_CS ???
No dice, barely any heat - swapped out for SSIs. Turbo Thomas headers were great though.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: