Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Odometer not working on 79sc

Just had the steering wheel bushing replaced and now notice the odometer stopped working. Just a coincidence? Speedo works fine. Is the odometer mechanical and speedo electric? Thanks for any input. Do not drive car that much but want to get this corrected soon.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
A classic case of odometer gear failure. The gear is plastic and internal to the speedometer. Our host sells the gears and their several posts on replacement. Or send the speedometer out for repair. No connection to your bushing replacement. Rob
Old 12-17-2017, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Just had mine repaired.Call Cory Shepard inManassas VA, Specialty Gauge. Pulled mine out had it back in car in a week. 7034024008 Service@specialtygauge.com
Very reasonable
Old 12-18-2017, 03:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks , called Corey yesterday and will send out odometer soon.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Get it repaired, and NEVER press the reset button again, EVER! Seriously, it's a flawed design and will break again if you do it. Mine odometer is going strong but I haven't reset it since it was fixed at 100k miles.

Chuck.H
'89 TurboLookTarga, 436k miles
Old 12-20-2017, 03:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
You can easily do this yourself.. Where are you located?
Old 12-20-2017, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Not too bad for a home repair. I read thru this one for guidance:

Odometer Gear replacement for Electronic Speedometers (long)

Seemed more intimidating at first until I dug into it. All went fine.

My only issue was that for my year/euro had several possible gears so I had to dismantle it count the cogs and ordered from Odometer Gears. I think it was about 4 days to arrive.

My speedo is in KPH, I use my garmin for MPH and I'm pretty close to calibrated correctly it seems to be 1 to 2 MPH faster. Not too bad for a <30.00 repair.

I also believe the claim of never resetting the odometer to be incorrect advice. My original gear was turning to mush. The consensus is the lube used from the factory is not compatible with the plastic used on the gear. The missing cogs appeared more pulled off than broken off.

My odometer gear only had 65 kilometers on it but had 38 years to dissolve. Maybe other can chime in about distance/time to failure.

Terry

COA: Passenger Side Mirror, Manual Antenna & Dunlop Tires
Old 12-20-2017, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: