LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Counterclockwise?

Garage
This is very cool. Wish it was me.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 12-21-2017, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
At the risk of being roasted alive by others here more knowledgeable than myself, 09/69 would be a 1970 model year. August would be when Porsche, and really all of the European manufacturers, would be when the new production year would come online. Plus, the door handles don't look like '69's.
I agree totally correct,early 2.2 for sure.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
web geek

Garage
Send a message via AIM to emptyo Send a message via Yahoo to emptyo
REALLY excited about this one. Cool color too.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
At the risk of being roasted alive by others here more knowledgeable than myself, 09/69 would be a 1970 model year. August would be when Porsche, and really all of the European manufacturers, would be when the new production year would come online. Plus, the door handles don't look like '69's.
Thanks for the tip! I知 learning the year differences as I go.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogus View Post
Thanks for the tip! I知 learning the year differences as I go.
These are definitely the guys to help.

Haha, I'm getting really excited about the build so keep us posted please. Me too; I love the color.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Pulling off the carpet today to try to get a glimpse of how much rust is under this carpet

God that aftermarket air condition hole looks ugly. I値l need to patch that up later. Here痴 to hoping the floors can be wirewheeled and sealed.

There is a fair amount of rust by the parcel tray and the drivers side floor.

The paint is pretty good under the carpet by the doors.

Some of the original luggage strap material is still on the car. We are carefully pulling the grommets off for re use. Every part that can be refurbished will be!

I wish the windshield seal was on this. The previous owner replaced it. Now mice damage is everywhere...

Cleaning up the exterior now. 15 years of sitting outside. I知 hoping this will clean up!

Cleaning up nicely! I知 gonna try to buff it out.

Not bad. Really light buff! I知 terrified of buffing to much on this single process paint. Might do a light buff all around then leave it and wax. I知 not going to paint this car.

Tonight it spends its first night under a roof in 15+ years!

Old 12-22-2017, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Any tips on how to get this seatbelt plastic off safely?

Old 12-22-2017, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

I love patina! I agree- save the paint. Only original once! So far the rust you are posting doesn't look as bad as I had feared.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

My feeling is that the thick factory asphalt is holding that floor together. You need to pull all of this off - never mind the 'paint' on the floor as you said - this 'paint' is overspray on the factory asphalt sound deadening which is thick. This needs to be all removed, and then you can see what you need to deal with. Wire wheel? and sealed? You've got to be kidding. You need to remove all the rust if the floor is still there. The floor is pretty thin metal. You need to blast all this rust off if you want to have a floor - if it's there, but it's probably severely rusted as the asphalt traps all moisture.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Wire wheeled the loose rust to see if the floor pan was acceptable Seems alright. Will blast it later. Gonna pull of the rear sound deadening now and cross my fingers.

Not too bad. I fully expected the rear seats to be rusted through. Seems like it might be savable.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Still has the original cap and splash guard. Gonna clean those up some point down the road.

Old 12-23-2017, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
The VIN will tell you what year it is. Looks like an early '70 as mentioned. Which is great news as the 2,2Ts were superior to the '69s. A '70 T VIN will start as 91101?****.

From the looks of it it appears to be in amazing condition considering. Be prepared to find hidden rust. The bottom corners of the front and rear windshield, rockers, front pans etc.

There are a number of threads here showing rust repairs, spend some time searching.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 12-23-2017, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Yup I was mistaken and read off the tag. It’s a 1970 911t.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Also if you spend some time reading in these it will answer many of your questions. The first three are available from our host.

Last edited by Trackrash; 12-23-2017 at 03:06 PM..
Old 12-23-2017, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks! I値l take all 4
Old 12-23-2017, 02:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Under the radar

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogus View Post
Thanks! I’ll take all 4
The 911 performance Handbook and the How to rebuild books are available in the Parts catalog. Pelican Parts - European Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche • BMW • Mercedes • Volkswagen • Audi • Saab • Volvo • MINI

Another good book is Wayne's 101 Projects for your 911 also available here.

Not sure about the workshop manual, but it's a must have as well. I think the owner's manual is available on line, search Google.

Good to know you have experience with VWs. It helps that you know the basics of rear engine aircooled stuff.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Making some progress.
Still assessing what to tackle first.This aftermarket a/c is up there for the rust repairs. The front suspension pan is also shot.

The door panels are partially eaten by rats. Still finding peach pits in random places of the car. . Planning on removing these and rebuilding/recovering. The goal is to make it clean and drivable, not necessarily a concourse build.

After much tugging finally got the driver side rear passenger bolt off and pulled off the last of the factory soundedening rubber. It was still wet on the bottom nearly 3 weeks after the last rain. Feels good to get most the moisture holding pieces out. The rust isn't as bad as originally thought out in the yard.

Planning on thoroughly cleaning and possibly painting these original pieces before reinstallation.

Warped and brittle wood footrests. Keeping all the hardware for restoration.

Success. Thinking about cleaning this up a bit. Given that I want to keep the original paint and won't be removing everything off the car, I'm going to try a bit of wire wheel and metal prep to see how deep this rust goes...

Hmm not bad. Looks ugly and is pitted but is only showing a couple small holes. Ideally, I would cut this all out for fresh metal. My mission is to preserve the current condition without making an irreversible work for any future owner.

Got the seats out finally. Started peeling back the factory sound 'asphalt' with a heat gun. Came right off. not bad rust at all under there.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Garage
Paint on this thing is still great.

The door is pre light buffing. The fender is post. Planning on leaving it with the current scars after sealing up the rust areas.

Loosening the pedal cluster...

Started removing what I think is a Coolaire A/C. Any ideas on what these are worth in working condition including condenser?

Done for the day
Old 12-26-2017, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Any tips on cleaning out the center tunnel? Searching around the forum and found removing the engine lets you see straight down. I'm planning on removing the emergency brake and shifter to get better access...

Last edited by rogus; 12-26-2017 at 10:12 PM..
Old 12-26-2017, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

That paint is looking good!
Old 12-27-2017, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
911t , porsche