Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

reinforced shock towers

On a 1970 911, if you remove the torsion bars and replace with reverse coil overs and monoball suspension in the rear, how mandatory is reinforcing the shock towers?

Noticeable handling difference, lose rigidity to the shell?

Drivers Education on the track, 2-3 days per year. Street drives the other 99%

Last edited by rrcrawford70s; 12-26-2017 at 01:24 PM..
Old 12-26-2017, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I think it is very critical. There are several threads about it through the years. The rear weight of the car ends of being at two point not originally designed for this amount of weight. Some work prior will most likely save a engine/trans drop and major repairs in the future....and that could be the best outcome. Would hate to have a major failure while driving. Here is what I did on my '70 and I'm probably going to do a little more before it goes to paint......
Old 12-26-2017, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

As JSA mentioned, lots of threads on this here with opinions ranging from, "I've run rear coilovers for 20 years with zero reinforcing and it's been fine" all the way to "running rear coilovers requires a full roll cage tied to the front and rear shock mounts to support the chassis so it doesn't twist and bend where it wasn't designed to do so".

Both sides of the opinion spectrum are fully represented, although the photo that JSA posted seems to be a pretty universally accepted "must do minimum" for rear coilovers.
Old 12-26-2017, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If you replace the torsion bars with coil springs, you'll need a complete cage that connects and triangulates all of the suspension pickup points, otherwise you get a flexy flyer and an unresponsive car.

The main reason to use coilovers on a 911 is when you cannot get high enough spring rates with torsion bars.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 12-27-2017, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@Rennsport View Post
If you replace the torsion bars with coil springs, you'll need a complete cage that connects and triangulates all of the suspension pickup points, otherwise you get a flexy flyer and an unresponsive car.

The main reason to use coilovers on a 911 is when you cannot get high enough spring rates with torsion bars.
Getting proper droop travel on a rally car also calls for coils. Stiff indexed t-bars on cars seem to have a huge impact on one of the most importing things on gravel, droop. Also, I'd love to see someone instrument a car with String pots and the like to actually validate Steve's hypothesis.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: