Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Certified Porsche Nut

Garage
ReFuze feedback

I have a 1967 911 that I used to use as a daily driver. About 6 years ago I was driving in a torrential downpour (think monsoon and you will be about right) and my car died.

I opened the bonnet and my fuse box was sparking. It was actually pretty scary at the time. The problem was the old fuse box was actually shorting to the brackets below. I managed to disconnect the battery and isolate the two and drove home soaking wet that night.

That weekend I changed my fuse box for a modern one from a local auto parts store. It looked like cr@p! Sure form follows function but when you have a nice Porsche a bit of form is nice too. In those 6 years it has annoyed me..ALOT.

Anyway I tell you this because recently I found ReFuze. I have just bought a ReFuze from Alan and I have to say it is excellent. The quality of the craftsmanship is OEM style, I wont install it until this weekend but I already feel happier. I will also be able to get rid of that POS auto parts one.

If anyone is looking for a modern fuse box that maintains the classic look then I recommend speaking to Alan at ReFuze. He is a good guy.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

1st I have seen this product.. Looks great..

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 12-29-2017, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
The Dude abides...

Garage
Looks like a nice product. Would be interested to see pictures of the install once finished.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

They look to be pretty expensive at 300 plus but if they work..

914-6 2.4s GT tribute.
914-6werkshop.com manufacturer of 914-6, GT, Conversion parts
Old 12-29-2017, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
With all the ATO style fuse blocks around, you’d imagine there should be an inexpensive alternative, but this seems to be the only choice that fits. With 3D printing, some inventive folks may come up with alternatives, but for now it’s probably best to bite the bullet and buy this one if you wish to update your fuses.
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 12-29-2017, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Lots of threads on this product. Here is one:
My "ReFuze" panel upgrade adventure

A few more:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/search.php?searchid=17029104

Last edited by timmy2; 12-29-2017 at 07:30 AM..
Old 12-29-2017, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I installed a updated fuze block in my 356 but not this one. Nowhere near $300.00 tho.
Works great.and this one looks very much like it.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Stands View Post
With 3D printing, some inventive folks may come up with alternatives, but for now it’s probably best to bite the bullet and buy this one if you wish to update your fuses.
ReFuze is molded using automotive grade resin. I have not found any inexpensive 3D printing material that can stand up to the harsh automotive environment.

For more than a one off 3D printing times preclude even moderate volume production.

Maybe in the future 3D printing will be cost effective for more than a one off but my experience says we are not there yet.

Thanks for the feedback as only discussion solves problems.

CDD Autogear manufactures ReFuze ATO fuse panels to retrofit all 356, 912 and 911 Porsches up to and including 1989
Old 12-29-2017, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixbanger View Post
I installed a updated fuze block in my 356 but not this one. Nowhere near $300.00 tho.
Works great.and this one looks very much like it.
ReFuze for 356 is $200. Although that may seem expensive, ReFuze is made to be an exact replacement for the OEM block. It is the same size and has the same fuse spacing as the OEM block as well as having the correct internal shorting bars. No wire modifications are required so it is a drop in replacement. That makes it easy to return to OEM style if a NO desires to.

I'm glad that you found a solution for your 356. There are many off the shelf ATO fuse blocks but they are universal style and most require modification to the wire terminations using crimp on connectors.

Thanks for the feedback. I would be interested in seeing your installation. PM me if you care to share a photo.

CDD Autogear manufactures ReFuze ATO fuse panels to retrofit all 356, 912 and 911 Porsches up to and including 1989
Old 12-29-2017, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Seems like they missed a great opportunity to replace the awful Porsche relays with standard automotive relays...Maybe add some space for headlight relays, fuel pump, etc...
Old 12-30-2017, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Coram Deo

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
Seems like they missed a great opportunity to replace the awful Porsche relays with standard automotive relays...Maybe add some space for headlight relays, fuel pump, etc...
You mean like the Classic Retrofit box? That costs a little more.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/pel_search_2016.cgi?command=show_part_page&make=POR&model=795&section=elswch&page=9&bookmark=27&part_number=911-FPR
Old 12-30-2017, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

The Classic Retrofit is great, but $400 is tough to swallow. I like that they built headlight relays in, but I wish someone had a replacement panel for the round relays—they're pricey, replacements aren't built as well as the originals, and they all seem to fail regularly.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Another thumbs up to Alan and his great replacement panel��
Plug n play. Small hemostat was of great help.

1978 SC coupe #1834

Last edited by Brown747; 07-24-2020 at 10:10 PM..
Old 07-23-2020, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Caveman Hammer Mechanic

Garage
I did this and it’s great! My ‘84 fuses were consistently corroding and becoming intermittent. An afternoon or two and no more fuse fussiness. This was after driving home from Fresno in a torrential downpour and one taillight fuse finally corroded through.
"America is all about speed. Hot,nasty, bad ass speed."
Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Old 07-23-2020, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I give a thumbs up to refuze.
Old 07-24-2020, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Same here. Replaced the rear fuse box with a ReFuze unit because it was old and crusty with corrosion. It's also a bit more cost effective than the Classic Retrofit piece.

Old 07-24-2020, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
feedback , refuze