Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
So wait ... What is the duck tape for again?
Old 01-02-2018, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
is it the same mechanic who sold you the oil cooler and you still have an oil leak?

Ivan
Old 01-02-2018, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
yep, same guy, I searched and the consensus was that the motor will have to be pulled to get the oil cooler out. I don't really want to, but I guess that I will tackle that job on my own this week. I did see the motor on the ground myself, and the top is clean.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Before you do pull he engine out do one more thing.
Get your self a carburetor cleaner and clean the area you see the oil. Then wipe totaly dry and run the engine as you did before but not that long ...Double check a get ready for the job...Make sure you unplug all you have to.Also don`t forget on your trany back up light switch wire with two connectors,disconnect heater hoses....among other obvious things.If you need some guidance let me know i will write some tuto for you.
Ivan
Old 01-02-2018, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroke View Post
Recently took my car to the local air cooled Porsche mechanic for an oil leak, he replaced my oil cooler for lots of money.car went back to him a week later for the same oil leak, had the cracked case by the oil cooler seeping.the backside has been sealed up.
Am I reading it right that the case has been sealed up with tape ??!!!
Old 01-02-2018, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
pmax...i think 2stroke put it on him self to eliminate one place in order to find the cause of the oil leak...
Ivan
Old 01-02-2018, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Update.... got it apart today.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Am I reading it right that the case has been sealed up with tape ??!!!
The duck tape is to hold the wax JB weld from dripping out of the hole when first applied for the TSB
Old 01-02-2018, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
hi 2stroke..perfect job ...looks like you know your way...so the culprit is the one from the inside plug..

congrats

Ivan
Old 01-02-2018, 03:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by proporsche View Post
hi 2stroke..perfect job ...looks like you know your way...so the culprit is the one from the inside plug..

congrats

Ivan
Yes, it looks to me as if it was leaking behind the oil cooler.I have JB Weld on it now with a piece of duct tape setting up .
Old 01-02-2018, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
What is that?

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 01-02-2018, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
jj..that looks like old dirt mix with some oil...Which the mechanic who just replaced the oil cooler did not bother to clean and mainly did not put JBweld on the plug..i guess he does not know about this problem?
Ivan
2 strokes, i did asked you..did you get the old cooler back..was the oil leak before the replacement the same?i wonder if your old cooler was leaking at all?
Old 01-02-2018, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Quote:
jj..that looks like old dirt mix with some oil...Which the mechanic who just replaced the oil cooler did not bother to clean and mainly did not put JBweld on the plug..i guess he does not know about this problem?...
Ivan

I was afraid it would be that...

2Stroke

I guess you know never take you car back to this guy. Some of that dirt if close to the large O ring joint.

The fix should look like this:

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Unslanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 01-02-2018, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for posting the picture of the completed repair J.J. I couldnít figure out exactly what had to be filled and had heard of the problem before without knowing what was needed.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 01-02-2018, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
rwest :if you look at post number 7 i did explain it there;-)

Ivan
Old 01-02-2018, 11:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
rwest :if you look at post number 7 i did explain it there;-)

Ivan
Thanks Ivan, that had me almost there, but then seeing the completed repair brought me completely up to speed.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 01-03-2018, 01:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Rutager..you know what is interesting.?.This problem has been there (mainly on the earlier models of 911) but Porsche came up with bulletin in late 1989...a little late i say..

Ivan
Old 01-03-2018, 01:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ 911SC View Post
Ivan

I was afraid it would be that...

2Stroke

I guess you know never take you car back to this guy. Some of that dirt if close to the large O ring joint.

The fix should look like this:

Iíve been trying to understand how this fix work since I will be removing my oil cooler soon and this explains it nicely for the first time.

Thank you for this.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
Correct.... he will not be seeing me car again. I can do the work myself, sometimes I just donít want to. I did get the old cooler back. At the time he did send me a video of him pressure testing the old one, and it showed a leak. But who knows????
Old 01-03-2018, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
You can do the test it your self ...it is not hard to figure it out how to do it.I am sure somewhere here might be tuto....also i believe somewhere in California is a shop who used to repair these...any way good job...fixing it your self;-)

Ivan
Old 01-03-2018, 11:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: