Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1971 Porsche 911 hood fitment

Hey everyone,

I have an issue with the hood fitment after replacement of the front latch panel. It seems that after the panel was replaced that the hood sticks out above the fenders a tad too much when it's closed. The alignment is dead on with the latch catching mechanis, and everything else seemed to be aligned when it was welded into place. There is no hood seals on the car either so I'm a little perplexed as to why it's sticking above the fender level. Am I missing something here? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sebastian
Old 01-02-2018, 08:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Mine was sticking up in the back, I disconnected the hood shocks to adjust the hood properly then reattached the shocks after all bolts were tighten. It worked for me.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Mine is up in the front and no seals are in the car so it's kinda an odd issue I've run into.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

I admit I have more unanswered questions than what information you have given.

How much does it stick up? Is the hood sitting on its rubber stops? Is the hood touching something else that prevents it from laying flush? Is the hood latched? Were the fenders removed for latch panel welding? Have they been aligned as well? Is the curvature correct? Can you push down and make it align?
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 01-02-2018, 12:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Jamie, I've sent you a pm
Old 01-02-2018, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Old 01-02-2018, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Home of the Whopper

Garage
I think the top latch is adjustable.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I have a similar issue, although I do not believe mine is fully latching. If I firmly pull up on the hood it raises a bit like I pulled the front hood latch in the cab.
Old 01-02-2018, 02:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Having just gone through this with a '69 Targa... I removed the latch mechanism on the hood, the support shocks, and loosened all of the bolts holding the hood to the supports, and the supports to the body of the car. When I say "loosened", they were still tight enough so that it required a bit of force to move the hood around.

I then positioned the hood to make sure that without anything restricting it's location I could make it line up. I had to raise the fenders up a bit to get them to align properly. Once I had this done I lifted the hood up just far enough so that I could crawl into the trunk and tighten the bolts down without upsetting the basic position of the hood. It required several hours of trial and error to get it lined up left-to-right, front to back and the height set properly. Little movements resulted in fairly big changes in the gaps.

If you can't get it to line up with everything loosened up, then something else if off which may require more drastic measures. I was lucky in that it just required a lot of time and patience.

Good luck,
Bill
Old 01-02-2018, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Maybe stating the obvious, but the rubber bumpers that screw into the hood (1 on each side) are adjustable. Looks like they need to be turned in a large amount. Also, as mentioned, the hood latch is adjustable as well.
Old 01-02-2018, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rubber adjustment stops seem to be screwed in as far as they can go just about. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Is the hood aligned at the cowl? Proper gap and height?

The picture shows that the driver's side of the hood sits high all the way from the cowl to the leading edge of the hood. To me, this suggests the DS fender is mounted too low.

If the fenders were removed to weld in your latch panel this may be your issue.

I assume your gas tank was removed. In this case, climb inside the front truck and look to see if the hood is hitting something. There should be witness marks from contact on the hood.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 01-02-2018, 07:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

The driver's side fender looks misaligned...could just be the image. Was it removed recently?
Old 01-02-2018, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

the 1st thing is you should never adjust or try to adjust your panel gaps with a car on a lift .
the reason is the car doesn't sit as it does when it's on it's suspension . lower the car and put the car on stands where the suspension bolts up .
on the hinges there should be a washer/shim between the hinge and the underside of the hood were the bolt goes .
this washer shim brings the back of the hood up to be even with the cowl . porsche puts them there so you should also use one or have to to get your hood to cowl height proper .
the washer shim only goes between the underside of the hood and hinge on the rear hood bolts on both sides hood hinges .
from there you get your gap (width) and hood centered to cowl properly .
because you can't adjust the cowl the centering of the hood and the gap to the cowl now is very important and the rest of the nose has to be adjusted to the hood at this point .
you can adjust the height of the leading edge ( front) of the hood by the striker on the underside of the hood . you lossen the jam nut then turn the post in or out to adjust the leading edge of the hoods height by the post . many time the more distance you move the post up or down ( in or out ) you will also have to readjust the striker plate so the hood opens and closes easily .
you should also have all the hood seals and gaskets installed when your doing your adjustments .
because if you adjust the hood with out them and then install them later on you may find the hood will not close or sit the same as it did with out them installed.
to get your fender heights and proper gaps you remove the fenders and move the lips of the aprons ( they are were the fenders bolt up to ) you move them in or out to open up or close up the gaps of the fenders to the hood . you use a B.F.H. and a piece of 2"x 4" block of wood for this .
do not hit the apron with a BFH ( big f***in hammer ) place the 2x4 against the apron and hit the wood with your BFH to move the apron . this way you will not mess up the apron .
you may have to take the fenders off and on many time to get your gaps right .
yes it's very time consuming because you have to install all the fender bolts to see just how the panel will fit . if you get lazy and don't install all the bolts for the fenders when your fitting them you may find once you think you got your gaps right and then install all the bolts later on your fenders will not fit right .
if you have any other questions i will be over on the body and paint forum .
Old 01-03-2018, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: