Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Functionista

Bummer. Look on the bright side though. At least you weren’t in a 356!

I’ve started using old cycle tricks to stay alive. Bright lights in the daytime, toggling lights when I see someone who might be turning left, left foot resting lightly ON the brake pedal whenever it’s not on the clutch (used to be right two fingers on the cycle), hitting brakes a few times when people close from behind at a light, revving loud engine at light when I sense someone behind is texting....etc
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcoles View Post
I assume the Dodge PU was what hit you.
I tend to give pickups a wide berth (double defensive driving efforts) and Dodge PUs more than the usual PU. Call me biased..
How about if I call you well informed? I have the same bias and include Jeeps, probably for the same reason.

I too drive using the same cautions as riding my road bike. Trust no one, look for their eyes on you, always have an escape, and get away from scary and distracted drivers.

Glad the OP came out of the accident healthy and hope that the repairs donít go into the structure. Hope the other driver was insured. Keep your parts, the install will just be delayed a bit.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
I tend to give pickups a wide berth (double defensive driving efforts) and Dodge PUs more than the usual PU. Call me biased. Good you are OK. I hit a dear on one head light - by the time I got all panels repainted in the front to match the total was only $11k. I forgot how much the ins. co. picked up - most of it. The ins. co. didn't want me to use my selected shop - took weeks and a number of phone calls and meetings to finally get them to agree to the repair est. provided by my shop.
You might want to give Dodge caravans a wide berth too. Years ago, a young guy driving a Caravan hit me. Had damage almost similar to yours. The driver claimed he did not see me. This was on a residential area where the only cars on the road were the two of us and I had my headlights on.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
ouch
91 E34 M5
Old 01-04-2018, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Oh man, so sorry you have to go through this. I had a "minor" rear-ender some years ago. I learned a lot in the process. Most important: pick a QUALIFIED BODY SHOP THAT KNOWS CLASSIC PORSCHES!! As mentioned above, the evaluation is critical for when you deal with insurance people, and you need an expert who knows these cars for that. It's important also because, depending on what is damaged, some inner structure parts are NLA (or not available easily in the US). The right shop will know how to obtain them.
As mentioned, please keep us posted. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

I always try to be glass half full on such things. You'll need a headlight, might as well upgrade to H4s. Your bumper smile looks somewhat warped, good time for a new one. The front valence looks tweaked, good opportunity to delete your fogs. Front bumper is damaged, good opportunity to upgrade if desired. If the fuse box is damaged, good time to upgrade to a modern blade style box. Obviously the situation isn't ideal, but try to find the positives!
Past: 911T, Carrera, 951s, 955, 996s, 987s, 986s, 997s, BMW x5, C36, C63, XJR, S8, Maserati Coupe, GT500, etc
Old 01-05-2018, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I tend to give pickups a wide berth (double defensive driving efforts) and Dodge PUs more than the usual PU. Call me biased. Good you are OK. I hit a dear on one head light - by the time I got all panels repainted in the front to match the total was only $11k. I forgot how much the ins. co. picked up - most of it. The ins. co. didn't want me to use my selected shop - took weeks and a number of phone calls and meetings to finally get them to agree to the repair est. provided by my shop.
Yes it was the Dodge. I always try to be extra careful and watch out for the other guy but I think this was unavoidable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbridge 74 View Post
Bummer. Look on the bright side though. At least you werenít in a 356!

Iíve started using old cycle tricks to stay alive. Bright lights in the daytime, toggling lights when I see someone who might be turning left, left foot resting lightly ON the brake pedal whenever itís not on the clutch (used to be right two fingers on the cycle), hitting brakes a few times when people close from behind at a light, revving loud engine at light when I sense someone behind is texting....etc
Good tips, especially about the high beams during daylight. If and when I get the car back I'll definitely take these to heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBob View Post
Glad the OP came out of the accident healthy and hope that the repairs donít go into the structure. Hope the other driver was insured. Keep your parts, the install will just be delayed a bit.
Thank you, sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
I always try to be glass half full on such things. You'll need a headlight, might as well upgrade to H4s. Your bumper smile looks somewhat warped, good time for a new one. The front valence looks tweaked, good opportunity to delete your fogs. Front bumper is damaged, good opportunity to upgrade if desired. If the fuse box is damaged, good time to upgrade to a modern blade style box. Obviously the situation isn't ideal, but try to find the positives!
My blood type is B-positive, so that's the outlook I usually take in life

Have to wait on the police report to be filed (should be available Tuesday) and then I can get things rolling with the insurance.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
What the ?

Garage
Bummer...glad you are ok though.
9/11/01 FDNY/343 Never Forget!
Old 01-05-2018, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

A 911 is small and low compared to a truck or SUV. I've been cut off many times because people drive like they are the only people on the road. They barely notice other vehicles like their own compared to a small sports car. Always a risk in traffic unfortunately. The lack of attention is frustrating.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
The damage appraiser came by and said the car is repairable. Was very happy to hear that. I'll post some pics once it's finished.

Thanks again for all the kinds words -- really made a stressful time more bearable.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: