Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I have an 78SC and 84 Carrera...both run great. I like the SC for driving more because it's a more raw feel..the Carrera is smoother and requires less effort.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Formerly known as Syzygy

Just like Ben and Jerry's, there's a flavour for every taste. Some may view vanilla as, well, vanilla. But it's also the most popular.

1987 ROW coupe, Marine blue, with a couple extra goodies.

The cars we love the best are the ones with human traits, warts and all.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)
Information Junky

Funny, tht in a thread titled What makes SC's so special? that some have to chime in to claim that it is not.

It is.

The others aren't because they're not.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
maybe a long hood is more special because it is older and more rare, but as a car to drive, the SC is much more fun in my opinion.
They both feel very similar, very special, as i guess most 911 aircooleds do, but the extra torque and power makes the SC much more enjoyable.
I owned a 2.0L 1969 911T (weber carbs) and now a 1981 SC (bitz EFI). Apart from the look, there's no way i would want to go back to the 69 car.
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ View Post
SC is special. It saved the 911 lineage. 83 was supposed to be the last of the 911's but luckily Porsche decided to keep 911 in production.
By that logic, the 3.2 Carrera saved the 911.
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)
wannaporsche

Garage
I was told SC saved the 911 because Porsche was set to scrap the 911 with the SC being the last iteration.

However the SC (obviously because it was so much more freaking special than any other 911 ever build before or since hands-down no exceptions) sold so unbelievable well... you might say so e'Specially' well (or SCpecially if you prefer, either works) that Porsche decided not to scrap the line. After that the Carrera (over-bloated over-promoted SC look-alike lug that it was) was able to be spun together for 7 years out of all the thousands of amazingly special leftover SC parts.

In fact most people buying Carreras throughout the 80s mistakenly thought they were actually buying SC's. I think there was a famous lawsuit about it...?

(I heard this story from the PO of my current SC, so it must be true. )
2006 A4 Quattro
Old Yesterday, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaporsche View Post
I was told SC saved the 911 because Porsche was set to scrap the 911 with the SC being the last iteration.

However the SC (obviously because it was so much more freaking special than any other 911 ever build before or since hands-down no exceptions) sold so unbelievable well... you might say so e'Specially' well (or SCpecially if you prefer, either works) that Porsche decided not to scrap the line. After that the Carrera (over-bloated over-promoted SC look-alike lug that it was) was able to be spun together for 7 years out of all the thousands of amazingly special leftover SC parts.

In fact most people buying Carreras throughout the 80s mistakenly thought they were actually buying SC's. I think there was a famous lawsuit about it...?

(I heard this story from the PO of my current SC, so it must be true. )
Don't believe everything you hear, there's a lot of Fake news out there

Peter Schutz became CEO Of Porsche AG in Jan 1981(look it up) well into the SC production run. During his tenure, Peter W. Schutz not only changed the company’s strategic direction: The German-American was also largely responsible for increasing the appeal of Porsche’s range of models, helping to successfully introduce the full 911 Cabriolet. In addition, Mr. Schutz furthered the expansion of the transaxle model range with the introduction of the 944 Turbo, 944 S and 944 S2 as well as their equivalent convertible variants. In 1982, Porsche set new records in motorsport, winning almost all categories and special rankings at Le Mans and achieving positions one to five in the race. The Porsche 959 was eventually unveiled in Frankfurt in 1985. Dubbed the “Über-911" by the press, it underlined the sports car manufacturer’s technical expertise at the time.

Mr. Schutz trebled the company’s sales and restored Porsche’s status as a profitable enterprise. For five financial years in a row, the company set one record after another. However, the economic crisis in the second half of the decade brought the “golden 80s” to a close: The declining export revenues and corresponding drop in sales in the USA signaled the end of Peter W. Schutz’s tenure as President and CEO of Porsche. He left the company in 1987. It was under his stewardship that the landmark 964 -993 and 996 models went from the idea stage to pre production reality
Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cevan View Post
By that logic, the 3.2 Carrera saved the 911.
Yup.

How Peter Schutz saved the 911 I noticed a chart on the wall of Professor Bott's office. It depicted the ongoing development schedules for the three primary Porsche product lines: 944, 928 and 911. Two of them stretched far into the future, but the 911 program stopped at the end of 1981.

Sounds like the 1982-83 SC was the end of the line until this happened.

Last edited by pmax; Yesterday at 04:23 PM..
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
Don't believe everything you hear, there's a lot of Fake news out there

Peter Schutz became CEO Of Porsche AG in Jan 1981(look it up) well into the SC production run. During his tenure, Peter W. Schutz not only changed the company’s strategic direction: The German-American was also largely responsible for increasing the appeal of Porsche’s range of models, helping to successfully introduce the full 911 Cabriolet. In addition, Mr. Schutz furthered the expansion of the transaxle model range with the introduction of the 944 Turbo, 944 S and 944 S2 as well as their equivalent convertible variants. In 1982, Porsche set new records in motorsport, winning almost all categories and special rankings at Le Mans and achieving positions one to five in the race. The Porsche 959 was eventually unveiled in Frankfurt in 1985. Dubbed the “Über-911" by the press, it underlined the sports car manufacturer’s technical expertise at the time.

Mr. Schutz trebled the company’s sales and restored Porsche’s status as a profitable enterprise. For five financial years in a row, the company set one record after another. However, the economic crisis in the second half of the decade brought the “golden 80s” to a close: The declining export revenues and corresponding drop in sales in the USA signaled the end of Peter W. Schutz’s tenure as President and CEO of Porsche. He left the company in 1987. It was under his stewardship that the landmark 964 -993 and 996 models went from the idea stage to pre production reality
Bill nails it on Peter Schutz's impact on Porsche, and he was running the place when the decision to continue the 911 was made. He was the first and still only American CEO of the company and he deserves credit for saving it the in the early 80's. The other factor though is that the dogs didn't like the dog food, i.e. the 928. The other savior back then? The Toyota experts in the Toyota production system. Management at the time credited them with rationalizing their inventory and production system and saving the company.
it wasn't 100% positive thought, those same Toyota engineers convinced then that you really need to share more componentry across models hence the Boxter headlights on the 996, a costly mistake.
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: