Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

White Ghost: et cetera's 1978 911sc build

In November I somehow convinced my wife to let me purchase a second 911 and my first air cooled. My other is a 997.2 GTS which caused me to develop a obsession with all things 911. I've owned that car for over two years now and it is so perfect out of the box that I haven't touched a thing. Unfortunately, that hasn't scratched the itch I developed in my 20's of upgrading and modifying cars. I settled on an SC because of the price and commonality, I didn't want to go about modifying a pristine showroom quality car.

That's how I came upon the White Ghost. Now I'm not one to go naming my cars, but the owner I purchased the car from had owned it for over 15 years and had purchased it from the original owner, a close friend of his who had since passed away. That original owner named the car and purchased the vanity plate WHTGHST. With a cool history like that I couldn't just throw it away.

My plan right now is to get the car running as well as possible and simplify along the way. I've already replaced much of the ignition system and am currently troubleshooting a stall issue documented here, 911sc stalling problem.

In addition to that I've backdated the heat, and removed the A/C. I wish I had documented that work, which is why I'm creating this thread.

Over the next couple of weeks I'll be installing some awesome LED headlights and gauge lights from a forum vendor, sorting out the stalling issue and throwing on a Mod 07 wheel. After that I have a bit more of a budget to burn through before I need to go back to the wife begging for cash.

Until then heres a few pics:

Old 01-08-2018, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
911 Mania

Garage
Nice looking SC. If you're interested in ceramic coating your fan housing, this guy has received outstanding Pelican acclaim for his work.
“Mark Motshagen is a real craftsman”. He also does zinc plating.
o Mark Motshagen
o Mots356@yahoo.com

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2018, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Congratulations on your purchase. I've been working on my GP White '79 SC since its purchase last year. I found that significant weight reduction to the car (cats, muffler, heat exchangers, bumpers, interior, etc.) along with improved suspension have transformed the car. I can't recommend the diet program enough. Looking forward to following your progress.
Previously owned several 911 models since 1975.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Congratulations on your first aircooled purchase! Looking forward to seeing some of the modifications that you do to the White Ghost!

If you're thinking of documenting your work, maybe you can submit some of them for review as tech articles, and get hooked up with a discount on your next purchase! https://www.pelicanparts.com/support/tech-submissions.htm
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Looking forward to being a voyeur on your journey.
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 01-08-2018, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog76S View Post
Nice looking SC. If you're interested in ceramic coating your fan housing, this guy has received outstanding Pelican acclaim for his work.
“Mark Motshagen is a real craftsman”. He also does zinc plating.

Good luck!
Wow, his work is amazing. What do his prices generally run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 23 View Post
Congratulations on your purchase. I've been working on my GP White '79 SC since its purchase last year. I found that significant weight reduction to the car (cats, muffler, heat exchangers, bumpers, interior, etc.) along with improved suspension have transformed the car. I can't recommend the diet program enough. Looking forward to following your progress.
I'm looking to do the same thing, as simple and light as possible. I'm trying to figure out how to turn the heater into a simple on/off switch so I can get rid of all the controls. If I wasnt in CA i would just remove the heat entirely and put header on it.

I've also considered backdating, but I'm on the fence. Might just go with some fiberglass IROC bumpers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric at Pelican Parts View Post
Congratulations on your first aircooled purchase! Looking forward to seeing some of the modifications that you do to the White Ghost!

If you're thinking of documenting your work, maybe you can submit some of them for review as tech articles, and get hooked up with a discount on your next purchase!
Thanks Eric. I've written articles in the past for some other forums I've been apart of. If I ever cover something that hasnt been covered I'll be sure to document.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

So, after driving the car once at night it was clear these could use a massive lighting upgrade. I ordered a set of headlamps from rothaus here on the forums. Testing Some LED Headlights

They were very well put together and fit with a little trimming of the original tabs. I think I still need to take a little more off to get them to fit a bit more snug, but overall very pleased.

I also ordered some LED gauge bulbs from him as well, which look great.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by et cetera View Post
So, after driving the car once at night it was clear these could use a massive lighting upgrade.
What a difference. Thanks for posting a pic with the original and new light on. I don't recall seeing that demonstrated before.

You are comparing it to the newer 911 so they must have looked anemic.

I bet you are kicking around a tail and a front spoiler. At 100 MPH you feel the difference but if your driving habits are well below that speed, the clean look is a favorable trade off.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Killer car! I feel like we need to get together for a drive and a photoshoot! I live in San Jose and have your bizarro garage: a black '79 SC and a '11 GTS.

Old 01-16-2018, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploserous View Post
Killer car! I feel like we need to get together for a drive and a photoshoot! I live in San Jose and have your bizarro garage: a black '79 SC and a '11 GTS.

Thats awesome! A photo shoot would be cool, just need to figure out how to get all the cars over. I do a few track days through HOD every year, if you ever make it out to one let me know.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by et cetera View Post
Thats awesome! A photo shoot would be cool, just need to figure out how to get all the cars over. I do a few track days through HOD every year, if you ever make it out to one let me know.
Oh wicked. I haven't done any events with HOD, but I try to take my 1990 Miata out with SpeedSF a few times a year.

Are you going to EASY next month?
Old 01-18-2018, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Family was out of the house for a few hours on Saturday, so I got busy. Installed a WEVO short shift kit and PSJ. It completely changed the feel of the car, I'm looking forward to rebuilding the pedal box and the steering rack in the coming weeks.

Oh, I'm also in the process of refinishing the knockoff fuchs that came with the car. Not planning to make them perfect, just do a little something to change the look of the car.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

In other news, its no longer stalling out when warm, now it just keeps the idle hanging around 2k. Troubleshooting the CIS is going to drive me to insanity. I've yet to replace any major components because every time I fix a vacuum leak the symptoms change.

I'm really leaning towards there being a problem with the thermo valve, I need to pull it off and see how it reacts to different temps. I also want to bypass it and the decel valve just to see how that changes the behavior.

Should help me better understand whats wrong before I make any adjustments to the ration and idle.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploserous View Post
Oh wicked. I haven't done any events with HOD, but I try to take my 1990 Miata out with SpeedSF a few times a year.

Are you going to EASY next month?
HOD is easily the most professional of the track day groups. I've never had a problem with other drivers there.

A co-worker was telling me I need to check out EASY, but I also read it might not be happening anymore. If its still going on I'll definitely head over one of these months.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Haven't posted in awhile, but I've been busy. Recently I rebuild the pedal box and added a Mod07 wheel.

I also had enough time to repaint 2 wheels, so she's rolling around half and half right now.

Oh and I caved on the CIS and dropped her off at s-car-go to get running properly.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Old 03-05-2018, 08:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Thanks for sharing et. I have a '79 SC that I'm working on. It's also white and, my dream car is a white GTS like yours!

I used to race in PCA with that Mod07 and loved it. So much easier to drive than the Prototipo I have on now. I'm really tempted to switch. Seeing yours brought back memories.

Good luck and keep posting!
Old 03-06-2018, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I don't update nearly enough. Heres a little preview of what I've been up to.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

You and I are on a similar trajectory...I have a clean car with only like 400 little projects (which is half the fun!). Good luck from another owner of air and water pumpers!
Old 04-06-2018, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Great work! Car is coming along wonderfully. Couple questions:

Did the WEVO and PSJ add any extra noise?

By rebuilding the pedal box, do you mean adding the Rennline pedals? Or was it more involved?

TIA.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: