Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Defective seal?

This is a Porsche brand rear quarter seal mailed to me by our host, Pelican Parts.

The round corner side has a U shape to the channel where the window goes which, in turn, pushes the trim up and out like this...

Was I sent a defective product? Or is that how this seal and trim works?
Old 01-10-2018, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Gibb... that's not how the trim and rubber work. Trim fits into seal as you have it in other areas. To make rear U work requires fiddling with the metal---needs to be shaped to the contour of the glass/car. If it's off just slightly... what you're looking at is what happens. If the trim needs to move back (towards back of car) there's some tolerance to do this---the corner caps that install at the forward corners allow for this... but only to a degree.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2, '79 Anthracite 930
Prior: '74 Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Hi regarding any seal for our 911 i go only to the original supplier....i got my front windshield seal from SSF autoparts another from automotion and another form Porsche the last one was perfect.It costs a little more but the quality is there.So the answer is between the lines go original...

Ivan
Old 01-10-2018, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Suggestion for you, return your new seals and order 993 rear quarter seals. Eliminates that damn trim, fit perfect and look great.
Many folks here have used this solution. See this thread:
Do 993 rear quarter window seals fit an SC?
'71 911T Coupe White, '70 911T Coupe Blue
'68 911 Coupe Orange, '68 911L Soft Window Targa
Old 01-10-2018, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
unwa..yes, great idea ..but if you want to stay true and original look as i said only Porsche original seals are the answer..
Ivan
Old 01-10-2018, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discseven View Post
Gibb... that's not how the trim and rubber work. Trim fits into seal as you have it in other areas. To make rear U work requires fiddling with the metal---needs to be shaped to the contour of the glass/car. If it's off just slightly... what you're looking at is what happens. If the trim needs to move back (towards back of car) there's some tolerance to do this---the corner caps that install at the forward corners allow for this... but only to a degree.
That was post holding down the trim in the rubber seal with multiple clamps for 2 weeks.

I'm asking if that u-shape for the class inside the rubber bit was defective. I'm not understanding why it does that. Its like the machine operator hiccuped while making the slit in the rubber.

That u-shapped slit pushes the glass out, stretching the rubber back, which in turn makes the seal not want to stay in.

Last edited by KDRGibby; 01-12-2018 at 10:38 AM..
Old 01-12-2018, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Old 01-12-2018, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwanna View Post
Suggestion for you, return your new seals and order 993 rear quarter seals. Eliminates that damn trim, fit perfect and look great.
Many folks here have used this solution. See this thread:
Do 993 rear quarter window seals fit an SC?
I have a half a mind to do that for all the windows even if it means buying new front and rear window glass.... This has been the biggest pain in the butt and the local Porsche shops and window guys won't help.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Can you return the seal for another one?Did you ask?There is no independent Porsche mechanic near by you?

Ivan

Last edited by proporsche; 01-12-2018 at 10:48 PM..
Old 01-12-2018, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by proporsche View Post
Can you return the seal for another one?Did you ask?There is no independent Porsche mechanic near by you?

Ivan
Yeah he said I could come by and take a look at cars they have in the shop, but they don't do glass/seals jobs so all I could do is look to see what it looks like when done...

I'm past the 90 day return at this point so I'm asking to see if that is how they're supposed to be because I will get hit with a return stock fee and out money to get the same product if true.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: