Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Provenance

After reading the article in Decembers issue of Panorama I started thinking about my car. I have a 1974 911 T Targa that I purchased from the estate of the last owner five years ago. I have the original owners manual with both the first and second owners names and addresses and phone numbers. Being 44 years ago I highly doubted that the owners were still in New Jersey.

An initial google search turned up that both are deceased, along with the owner I purchased the car from, so no one to talk to about it. I did ask the wife that I purchased the car from if there were any records on the car, but there were not. I did wind up with the tool kit however which wasn't with the car when I purchased it.

My question is, is there any way to get any information, other than a COA from Porsche to dig up info on my car?

On a separate note, the car was sold originally to an R. Duke Powell of Chatham, NJ. He purchased the car on September 28, 1974 at Gardner Motors in Bernardsville, NJ.
Does anyone know of either this man ( or his family) or the dealership?

Hopefully, I'll get some info, but the 3" 3ring binder doesn't look like it will happen for this car.

Thanks in advance for any and all help to document this car.

Cheers!
Steve

By the way, I'm doing this for me, not to sell the car. I have no plans for that now or for the foreseeable future.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Pics?

1969 911T Coupe
1972 911E Targa
Old 01-10-2018, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Steve- As the author of that article in Pano I am glad it inspired you. I also own a 74 911 (early build 7/73 coupe) and luckily I purchased it from the original owner and he kept EVERYTHING. If you want some ideas on routes to take on your car, send me a PM. It can be fun to learn more about your cars "story".

Nathan
Old 01-10-2018, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks Nathan! I'll be sending a PM this morning. I really appreciate any ideas you might have.

Here's a shot of my car.
Cheers!
Steve
Old 01-11-2018, 03:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74TT View Post
Here's a shot of my car.
Wow! Easy on the eyes.

Good luck in your search.

Allow me to ramble for a little second....

My car was a lease and I think three doctors and one engineer was the chain of ownership before me. From the 3 ring binder I was able to track down two of the doctors in Dallas. Interesting thing is one of the doctors told me Kremer in Atlanta pulled the engine to find a rattle that ended up being the CB antenna mount. That receipt was not in the pile. Go figure.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks Bob,
At least you got a binder!
Hoping to be able to put that together.
Cheers!
Steve

Last edited by 74TT; 01-11-2018 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-11-2018, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Good luck on your search.
I received a good file with my car. First and third owners, Doctor and Professor, kept everything. Second owner kept very little. Probably a Contractor
I have the original order paperwork, letters from Porsche, a letter letting him know the 930 will be discontinued in America and the additional cost to keep his order, ect, ect.
Lots and lots of AC repair invoices. Neat stuff to look through.
I have briefly tried to track the first owner down. Google search. I would love to get a couple pictures of the car from the 80's. I may search again soon.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

One of the coolest things about purchasing a car with good records is putting together the history of the car. My SC has records since new, and was with the previous owner from 2000-2015. It was originally ordered as a Targa in 1982, but when the Cabriolet was introduced for the 1983 model year the owner wanted to cancel his Targa order for a Cab. Instead the dealership converted the Targa to a Cab pre-delivery, something that happened frequently enough that Porsche even issued a service manual supplement on the process. In addition to the original Targa window sticker, I have an supplemental sticker from the dealership listing a Cabriolet conversion in addition to standard SC options like rock guards and the front spoiler. Cool stuff.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
About 15 years ago I called Jones Autowerks in San Antonio, something about a targa top seal. I lived in Houston.

One of the previous owners had work done there. She found the "folder" on my car listed under one of the previous owner's names and put my name on it.

Just a thought. Older independent shops in your car's old stomping grounds?
Old 01-11-2018, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I worked at Gardner P-A in 1974.But I am not sure they are still there.Ciao Fred
Old 01-11-2018, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by faapgar View Post
I worked at Gardner P-A in 1974.But I am not sure they are still there.Ciao Fred
I did a google search for Gardner, but came up empty so I assume they're no longer around.

Bob, I tried googling a repair shop that was on a sticker ( on the door) from an independent shop ( service done in 1986) but came up empty on that as well.
I do remember the owners widow telling me of a repair shop that her husband used
when he owned the car. I'll have to contact her and see if that shop is till around.

Cheers!
Steve
Old 01-11-2018, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
when first got my 79 ROW it came with original owner manual and showed the original owner name and address. the dealer delivered it to his law office in Munich. I Googled his name. found an address in Germany. took a pic of the car and mailed it to him asking if this was his car and to email me. about 2 months went by and he emailed back saying thank you for sending a pic of their little green 911 and sent a pic of himself living in South Africa now next to a VW Thing. He owned the 911 for 3 years and sold to an American service man who imported to US though San Diego and years later sold to a guy in mpls who later sold to guy in Naperville who I bought from. so cool he responded
Old 01-11-2018, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I've just written the widow an note asking for any info as to where the
car was serviced. I think the previous owner had the car for over 25 years
so there must be something there!
I'll update when , and if, I get a reply.

Steve
Old 01-12-2018, 09:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I did a google search for Gardner, but came up empty so I assume they're no longer around.

Bob, I tried googling a repair shop that was on a sticker ( on the door) from an independent shop ( service done in 1986) but came up empty on that as well.
I do remember the owners widow telling me of a repair shop that her husband used
when he owned the car. I'll have to contact her and see if that shop is till around.

Cheers!
Steve
Gardner (Porsche) became L&W Porsche/Audi of Bernardsville in NJ. Then in the 1980's Porsche went about changing their dealership model and I believe that is when the Porsche dealer went away, leaving just an Audi dealership. My dad bought his two cars from Gardner. Gardner also had a VW dealer just down the street.

Looks like Peru Red? My folks 911S coupe was Peru red.

Maybe he was an NNJR PCA member? (ha.. just reread.. R Duke Powell of Chatham. Heck, we lived in Chatham back then. Maybe my folks new him!) If Duke was buying in late '74 it was because the '75s were coming out and cost a bit more (the whole Mark/Dollar thing).

What was the name of the Independent shop?
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056

Last edited by racer; 01-16-2018 at 03:32 PM..
Old 01-12-2018, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

cvlcporsche

I was also inspired by your article. I bought an 87 911 from the son of the original owner. The car was owned by his Mom for 28 years, from new until her passing... and has the 2" binder full of records, including original window sticker, purchase details, all maintenance history, as well as paperwork for the free track day that was included with the car purchase. Having the cars history means a lot to me, so much that I named the car after the original owner. "Nancy's ride" ... I figure I can truly call it mine once I get past 28 years of ownership.

cheers
Old 01-12-2018, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer View Post
Gardner (Porsche) became Porsche/Audi of Bernardsville in NJ. I think they are now only an Audi dealer. My dad bought his (70) 914/6 and ('74) 911S from Gardner. Gardner also had a VW dealer just down the street.

Looks like Peru Red? My folks 911S coupe was Peru red.

Maybe he was an NNJR PCA member? (ha.. just reread.. R Duke Powell of Chatham. Heck, we lived in Chatham back then. Maybe my folks new him!) If Duke was buying in late '74 it was because the '75s were coming out and cost a bit more (the whole Mark/Dollar thing).

What was the name of the Independent shop?
Yep, It's Peru Red. I haven't seen too many in this color, at least around here anyway.
The name of the independent shop was Brothers Mercedes Benz of Pompton Plains NJ.
Ever hear of them? Let me know if your folks knew of Duke!
Thanks!
Steve

Last edited by 74TT; 01-12-2018 at 07:00 PM.. Reason: additional info
Old 01-12-2018, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Incidentally, I purchased my car from the widow of a Gary Harrison of Kinnelon, NJ.
Does that ring a bell for anyone?

Steve
Old 01-12-2018, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks Nathan! I'll be sending a PM this morning. I really appreciate any ideas you might have.

Here's a shot of my car.
Cheers!
Steve
Damn, that's one clean midyear Targa. Makes my '75 look like a boat anchor.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Damn, that's one clean midyear Targa. Makes my '75 look like a boat anchor.
Thanks! It really looks better in photos than it actually is. Not that it's bad, but there is some rust and it was repainted somewhere in its life, and not really well.

Well, so far, this is what I've been able to surmise. R.Duke Powell bought the car
on September 28, 1974. He drove the car for four years ( 38,000 miles) and traded it in as it was sold in 1978 to a Karen L. Blunt on August 15, 1978. I'm assuming he purchased either an SC, or an Audi because the second owners name and info are in the owners manual, and she bought the car (used) from Gardner.

This is where the history gets a little murky. The last owner passed away in 2011. He was married in 1986 and from what his wife told me, they dated in the car. So assuming
a two year courtship I figure he bought the car somewhere in 1982-1983 time period. So I'm left wondering how long the second owner had the car and where the third owner purchased it. I'm figuring there was some kind of reselling dealer ( as the car was painted at some point) and sold to the last owner. I figure, dealer withstanding, I'm the fourth owner.

Anyway, this is where I am so far. I'll keep updating as I find out more.
Cheers!
Steve
Old 01-13-2018, 04:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Asked my folks about "R Duke Powell" but they had nothing. Considering the area (bedroom community) of NYC and the number successful people, Porsche's were somewhat common and not everyone would think to join PCA.
1978 911SC, 1976 914 2.0, 1970 914 w/2056
Old 01-16-2018, 03:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: