Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Red fuel pump relay

1977 911S: If the original red fuel pump relay on the fuse block had a problem inside or was not working correctly could that cause the fuel pump to not send a proper amount of fuel to the fuel distributor upon acceleration? Thereby the car would run ok at low rpm's but cut out at higher rpm???

Thank you for your input.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I guess it'd be possible but I think unlikely.
You could replace it cheaply enough and you'd know for sure.

'87 Targa Carrera 3.2 - Fabspeed Cat Bypass, M&K Muffler, SW Chip
Venetian Blue
Old 01-11-2018, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

How old is the fuel filter?
Old 01-12-2018, 03:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Measure your fuel pressures.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampex351 View Post
1977 911S: If the original red fuel pump relay on the fuse block had a problem inside or was not working correctly could that cause the fuel pump to not send a proper amount of fuel to the fuel distributor upon acceleration? Thereby the car would run ok at low rpm's but cut out at higher rpm???

Thank you for your input.

Ampex,

Stop guessing. Install a pressure gauge and measure your fuel pressures. Warm up the motor and rev it up. Also test your FP delivery pressure after the filter. If you are getting 90 psi. plus, the filter is not restricted or clogged. If the fuel filter is old, just replace it and not bother to test it. It is a consumable part.

Tony
Old 01-12-2018, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Designer King

Aside from Tony's advice, have you tried checking your points gap, plugs, wires, rotor and cap? When did you last set your dwell?

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the fuel pump relay either works or doesn't. I've never heard of one affecting fuel flow at one RPM range but not at another.
Yellow 77 Sunroof Coupe/cork interior; 3.2L '80 SC engine/10.5:1/No O2; Carrera Tensioners; 11 Blade Fan; Turbo tie rod ends; Bilstein HDs; 28 tube Cooler; SSI, Dansk; MSD/Blaster; 16x7" Fuchs/205/50 Goodrich G Force Sport Comp 2; PCA/UCR, MID9
Never leave well enough alone
Old 01-12-2018, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: