Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New Member Intro: I'm in Heaven (I think?)

Hi All, thought I’d (finally) introduce myself after hundreds of hours of “lurking” and silently benefitting from the massive knowledge base of the group. Despite the fact that this is my first post, I gotta say that I already feel like one of the fold, based if nothing else on the amount of time I’ve spent here as of late. You know you spend too much time on this forum when you start referring to making purchases from “our host” in conversations with third parties who have no idea what you are talking about, cut up and grind down perfectly good tools in order to accomplish some small repair that you will probably never need to repeat, and start feeding bald-faced lies to your spouse with respect to why you have to go to the garage for some non-car reason, just so you can make a little more progress on some random 911 project (when I hear her looking for me I just run around to the backyard and pretending I was racking leaves or something).

Anyway…I’m the proud new owner of a 1981 Euro Sc with original Pasha interior and some fun additional upgrades such as an ’87 3.2 motor (the oem 3.0 is in my garage with a broken head stud, along with the matching 915), lsd, various suspension upgrades, some brand of headers and muffler (good thing I don’t need heat in AZ), etc…. I have owned many Porsches, but this is my first foray into air-cooled land, and so far I love it. I also own a reasonably modded 2004 gt3 (which I also love) and a rwd manual 6-speed Gallardo (super fun, but a little flashy), but this one just hits me in the feels (probably cause I was born in the mid-70’s and this is the car I lusted after while perusing my dad’s stash of old Motor Trend and Road&Track mags as a kid). I’ve got a lot to learn, and a WHOLE lot to do, but one of the reasons I love this sucker is that I enjoy the all the diy projects, as getting my hands a bit dirty is my release from my stressful desk-jockey, 8-6 existence. And, boy, there is no shortage of projects once you start looking, even with a nice example! One thing I love about my car is that it was owned since the 80’s by the same family (Army Lt. Col. bought it while stationed in Germany and brought it over in the early 90’s, and I bought it (and the massive stack of records) from his son, who took great care of it, did the engine swap, etc….

So, I’ve been busy. Here are some of the things I’ve done so far:

1) Remove 17” Boxster wheels and source 16” Fuchs from Craigslist in need of refinishing. I did the “diy rsr” finish thing and clear coated the bead blasted surfaces, which drastically changed the color from a bright silver to gray. Oh well, I now get to try another re-finishing diy project I guess! I love masking tape!!!

2) Remove 996 power seats and install original seats which had been boxed for years. The good news was that I only suffered two seizures while staring at the pattern up close while tightening down the rail bolts! Gonna remove the driver side rail and mount the seat without the slider for a little extra headroom once I get medical clearance from my new-to-me neurologist! Also re-installed rear seats after sub box removal (is that actually horse hair in there?) I glued on some speaker fabric on the underside of the cushion bottoms as it was leaving a mess on my nice clean carpeting.

3) Remove the 182lbs of aftermarket wiring associated with the amps, subs, aftermarket alarm, wireless door lock actuators, xm radio receiver, Bluetooth receiver, uber complex head unit, and a host of other “black boxes” that I can’t even identify. I’m not quite there, but I’m getting close. Also made a cool temporary radio block off plate using fabric store vinyl that was a pretty close match…looking for a retro radio now.

4) Finish gutting rest of the AC system. I love “adding lightness” (stole that from a Pelicanite), and so there was no use having idle condensors, evaporators, driers, and lines slowing me down on the way to the 7-Eleven. Ripping it all out was kind of liberating!

5) Clean up the smuggler’s box aka “the Mouse Brothel.” Holy crap…not good, I thought I spotted a disco ball and some throw pillows…they had definitely taken up residence (only found one carcass though).

6) Repair torn door stay. HOLY HELL, why couldn’t Porsche label the damn window switch wires and give you enough slack to actually get everything back together without 7 helpers? Oh well, at least there were only 120 possible wiring combinations (and yes, I did a search, eventually, but still had some guesswork as my wires were different colors than all the examples I could find!). This project also marked the first time I had to take a crow bar to the car (to get the inner door stay metal back into shape).

7) Shift bushing repair using repair kit (“from our host”). Holy crap, why can’t you separate the center console from the A/C control knob wiring without having to fish the temperature sensor out from under the bottom of the smugglers box! Oh well, I wanted to do the console delete anyway (I’m 6’4” and even like the look better without the console).

8) Install Momo prototipo. 350mm diameter hurts gauge viewing but really helps with thigh clearance, and just looks great.

9) Remove all, old, crusty, purpling tint…FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, WHY DID THIS JOB TAKE 7 HOURS? Yup, you guessed it, back glass tint came off in 1mm strips, even with judicious amounts of steam from my wife’s now burnt out clothes steamer (oops). The good news is that my razor blade only destroyed about half of the defrost lines, but damnit the tint is now GONE!

10) Removal of the “shock tower crap.” WTF??…the car was built in 1981 not 1931…I gotta believe there was a better waterproofing solution in 1981 than dumping a gallon of molten tar on those things. I think I found a fossilized invertebrate and some Wooly Mammoth dung in there. Oh yeah, now my heat gun is burned up (thanks a lot Harbor Freight!). This was one of those “I should not have started this project” kind of projects, but you know what they say: “Once you start to remove the black you can’t go back” (Ok, no one says that but it just fits here).

11)…and lots of other small projects (like new ebay floor mats, wiring clean up, re-upholster of the rear parcel shelf to get rid of the old speaker holes, dash “rug” adhesive removal, oil change (oops, didn’t realize it would come out that fast), tranny fluid change, plugs, aftermarket gauge ring removal, center cup holder removal, brake light repair, and a ton of other small little repairs here and there.

On the agenda for this weekend (unless my wife threatens to divorce me) are all four cv boots (all torn up), odometer gear replacement (yup, one of those “why did I push that button?” moments as I’m 99% certain I broke it when I pushed the trip reset button!), cap and rotor, turn signal switch (my high beams are constantly on and I could see burnt up crap inside the switch), clean up the underside of the engine to try to isolate the oil leak (or more likely leaks), and a few other odds and ends.

Some of my longer term projects include lowering to euro ride height and align (which is why I removed the La Brea tar pits in the frunk), re-upholster the passenger front seat which has some tears in the bottom cushion, install fog light-less front valance that came with the car (love the clean look, and install a “somewhat” period-correct radio with only two door speakers, appbiz carpet kit (I got some parts that look a bit old and wrinkly, but don’t we all?), and about 214 additional projects which I’ve tallied to date!

Anyway, sorry for the long post, here are the obligatory photos! Thanks in advance for all the help, and I hope I can contribute and “give back” when possible! My plan was to sell the spare 3.0 and 915, but now I’m thinking of re-installing both into the car and plopping the current 3.2 drivetrain (after the short stroke treatment of course) it into a long hood roller so that my wife will be really excited about this new hobby of mine!

Old 01-12-2018, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hello and welcome to the forum Scott - thanks for the kind words about the forum and the intro! We're looking forward to you bringing your knowledge to the community. As I'm sure you're already aware; we have quite the DIY tech article directory. Please use it and let us know if you have any further questions!

https://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911tech_articles.htm
Old 01-12-2018, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome!! Good looking 911! Love the psychedelic feel of the seats.....
Old 01-12-2018, 12:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottArizona View Post

Anyway…I’m the proud new owner of a 1981 Euro Sc with original Pasha interior and some fun additional upgrades such as an ’87 3.2 motor (the oem 3.0 is in my garage with a broken head stud, along with the matching 915), lsd, various suspension upgrades, some brand of headers and muffler (good thing I don’t need heat in AZ),

I also own a reasonably modded 2004 gt3 (which I also love) and a rwd manual 6-speed Gallardo (super fun, but a little flashy),

So, I’ve been busy. Here are some of the things I’ve done so far:

1) Remove 17” Boxster wheels and source 16” Fuchs from Craigslist in need of refinishing.

2) Remove 996 power seats and install original seats which had been boxed for years.

3) Remove the 182lbs of aftermarket wiring

4) Finish gutting rest of the AC system.

5) Clean up the smuggler’s box

6) Repair torn door stay.

7) Shift bushing repair

8) Install Momo prototipo.

9) Remove all, old, crusty, purpling tint…

10) Removal of the “shock tower crap.”

yeah... that tar on top of the front shock town mounts had me confused when I first got my car.

I'm still trying to chip some of it away. It's just an awful mess.

I know a few friends who have a Gallardo as well.... they love it, but I just can't figure them out. It's a great entry Lambo for sure. And if you're willing to put money into it, you can easily put it in the 1000+HP or even the 2000+HP if you have the money.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I am so, so jealous of those seats. Wait.

Those seats are terrible. They look ridiculous and awful on your car. Please sell them to me.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome to the club. Nice work on nice car. That's a lot of weight savings tearing out the custom audio setup. In my opinion you should paint the headlight trim rings to match the car.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Get off my lawn!

Garage
That shock tower crap was put there by Porsche for a reason. It was not some previous owner making a mess. Just leave the mat in the trunk and you can't see the shock towers.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 01-12-2018, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Cool car and great introduction. I have a friend locally with a Euro 81 coupe like yours but in red, same Pascha. Good stuff. Keep on posting. John in CT.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Great looking car! +1 on painting headlight trim rings and rocker panels too. But whatever you decide, sounds like you're having fun and on the right track! Welcome to the madness!
Old 01-12-2018, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Thanks all!

I did a bunch of research about the strut tar...debated leaving it, but in the end it was already dried out, cracking, and missing chunks from past alignments, and just looked awful. I also hated the "glued in walmart blanket" look of the existing trunk carpet kit, so that had to go too. Much happier with the gunk gone, and it should facilitate future alignments (If I didn't live in Phoenix, or if I used the car as a daily, I might not have removed it).

The trim rings were a misguided plasti-dip experiment based on a car I saw in an excellence magazine article a few years back that I just loved (and which ironically, forshadowed my own SC purchase, since its the same color). The plasti-dip was removed last Saturday!

I love the seats. Pure 1980's. I think I'm going to leave the rockers black. I like the look of rocker delete, but don't like the exposed lines, and this is the best of both worlds (rockerless look but no exposed lines). Front valance needs to be silver though!
Old 01-12-2018, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougZ View Post
Welcome to the club. Nice work on nice car. That's a lot of weight savings tearing out the custom audio setup. In my opinion you should paint the headlight trim rings to match the car.
I'm not joking...removing the heavy 996 power seats, the audio stuff, the heavy 17's, and the balance of the A/C stuff, it could actually tell a difference in how lively the car feels.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakrat View Post

I know a few friends who have a Gallardo as well.... they love it, but I just can't figure them out. It's a great entry Lambo for sure. And if you're willing to put money into it, you can easily put it in the 1000+HP or even the 2000+HP if you have the money.
I'm not a huge fan of the feel of the gallardo in the awd/e-gear configuration. But mine is manual tranny, rwd, and I've deleted about 240lbs from the car (all reversible). It is VERY fun to drive, very spirited, and looks pretty good too. Below is also a pic (only one I have that is small enough to post). Also added a pic of the gt3. I will never sell it (made that mistake, and then ended up buying it back!)
Old 01-12-2018, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Hello There and "Welcome to Porsche Ownership!"

Nice looking car and good job on the Fuch wheels.

If I were you, I would not get rid of the original engine (3.0L) and transmission (915) since they are probably matching numbers set. Also, the Euro 911SC engine should have the 9.8/1 CR pistons, so a little more HP then the US models. (Ask me how I know, I have one). This will make your car worth more when you go to sell it later.'

Just my opinion, and I would rebuild the 3.0L and then sell the 3.2L .

Have fun.
1987 944 Automatic (Recently sold to another Pelican)

Last edited by TibetanT; 01-12-2018 at 02:24 PM..
Old 01-12-2018, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Scott, so we meet again.....

Jonathan from MS (dropped in here to do some research on the above car)
Old 01-12-2018, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

You represent the typical P owner; it's not just about driving, but to customizing your dream car as well.

Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2018, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmydust View Post
Scott, so we meet again.....

Jonathan from MS (dropped in here to do some research on the above car)
Dude!!!!! Good to hear from you! Your old baby is still doing great and has never missed a beat! So funny we seem to have similar taste in cars!
Old 01-12-2018, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMore View Post
You represent the typical P owner; it's not just about driving, but to customizing your dream car as well.

Keep up the good work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yup...99% of the fun is messing around with the car!
Old 01-12-2018, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottArizona View Post
odometer gear replacement (yup, one of those “why did I push that button?” moments as I’m 99% certain I broke it when I pushed the trip reset button!), ]
Ha!
I did the same thing the first time I got gas. Pulled out of the station and up to a light. Pushed the button and "KLICK!" that was it.

Bad part is after gear replacement the speedo is cleaner than the rest of the gauges, so I have to disassemble and clean the insides of all of them now.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Welcome! Love the seats. After you fix your turn signal switch you may want to look at installing a relay for the headlights. Got mine from JWest.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Functionista

Well done on the refreshtoration there.

Your power windows might have been added later regarding the wiring confusion.
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: