Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Cutting seal to remove windows

I've read several threads about cutting seals to remove glass (quarters, front and rear). But, I'm a bit confused as to what you cut. Do you cut from the inside of the glass? Do you remove the trim and cut where the trim was? Do you cut either side of the trim, remove the trim then remove the window?

Thanks!!

Todd
Old 01-12-2018, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
the trim is very hard to remove without screwing it up. if you can get the trim out no need to cut the rubber. if you are to cut the rubber best to do it on both sides of the trim and carefully remove the trim. then a helper pushing from the inside should pop the glass out for you to catch/secure.
03 996TT(sold 10/16 stupid&fast)78SC PRC Spec911(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 01-12-2018, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Take a look at the link below to a DIY tech article on removing glass - you may find some of the points helpful. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/101_Projects_Porsche_911/79-Glass_Removal/79-Glass_Removal.htm
Old 01-12-2018, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I never ever pull the trim from an installed windshield, it will be rendered useless. Usually the rubber is supple enough to use a putty knife from the inside and push it back from the windshield frame. You only have to do the top edge and then the windshield will push out. Once it out lay front side up on a saw horse and pull the seal back from the trim, never touching or pulling on the trim. If the rubber is too stiff for this then cut from the inside just inboard of the windshield frame.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys! Seems to be a general consensus - protect the trim!!

A related question, front and the back to some extent, trim is not fantastic. It’s black. Powder coat? Not sure what my options are. I’m fiscally irresponsible enough to buy new, but probably should not.

Todd
Old 01-12-2018, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed mayo View Post
...never ever pull the trim from an installed windshield, it will be rendered useless.
Ed... If one bends the trim out... agreed... is a PITA to get back into shape to reinstall. By continuously running flathead under lip of trim and lifting trim just out of rubber's channel, then trim comes out in very close form to what it needs to be to go back in.

CUTTING RUBBER SEALS... that seems to be a short cut if new seals are going in. If old seals are to be reused, there's no need IMO to cut them. Much depends on how the seals were installed. If there's Wurth or other weather sealing agent behind the rubber seal... might be much harder to get out than a naked seal, so cutting might be required. I'd test getting the window out without cutting the seal first.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2, '79 Anthracite 930
Prior: '74 Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Seals are original and dried out, shrunk, not good. Plan is to replace all of them.

Todd
Old 01-12-2018, 05:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
devalued member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddu View Post
Seals are original and dried out, shrunk, not good. Plan is to replace all of them.

Todd
I had assumed this since you suggested cutting the gasket.

I don't know what the new trim costs, but to powdercoat they would have to be media blasted prior to coating. this would require a huge blast room so some sort of industrial coating professional might be required. $$.

it's not uncommon for blasting rooms for large parts to be PC, but it might just get close to new trim cost. we are lucky here in the bay area there is a powdercoater company who's owner is a Porsche nut, does lots of local parts and knows the tricks and costs can be reasonable. any PC may wanna break your balls on cost to use them as they are not their run of the mill coating jobs
03 996TT(sold 10/16 stupid&fast)78SC PRC Spec911(sold 12/15) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7I6HCCKrVQ
Old 01-12-2018, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Todd, I removed my windshield trim by using a nylon string. I slid back the trim cover, slipped the string under the edge and pulled it along under the trim all the way around and it came out perfectly. The windshield then popped out very easily. Read that on one of the threads here.
7's and 9's, Steve W chip
Nice cold AC and fresh top end
Old 01-13-2018, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Usually you need to use a box cutter with a new blade if the seal is glued to the body with butyl sealer. Use both hands on the knife to avoid slipping and slashing yourself and cut on each side of the trim strip in a V shape. Lift out the trim carefully, then deal with rest which can usually be pulled off in thick strips. Then the fun cleanup starts.
Old 01-13-2018, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddu View Post
Thanks guys! Seems to be a general consensus - protect the trim!!

A related question, front and the back to some extent, trim is not fantastic. Itís black. Powder coat? Not sure what my options are. Iím fiscally irresponsible enough to buy new, but probably should not.

Todd
I bought new trim, my seal was so old and gnarly that it was essentially glued to the trim, leaving chunks of rock hard vulcanized rubber all over it. Wasn't worth the effort, and the trim looked like crap anyways.

New trim from the dealer was I think $60ish for each half? Not bad.

Oh, make sure that the window is actually loose EVERYWHERE before you pull it out. I had mine loose EVERYWHERE except maybe an inch which was stuck to the frame. Put the suction cup on, lifted the window...and it proceeded to shatter from being stuck on that one little section. Get it COMPLETELY free before you put any pulling pressure on it...

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Schleprock

Send a message via Yahoo to KTL
You may even find that the trim is funked up before you start working on it. For example i've found that if the windshield was previously replaced and the seal was reused, which is a huge freakin' no-no, then the trim can be booged up pretty good. Especially if the installer used his palm to pound on the seal/trim to help seat the windshield in the car.

You can go bonkers trying to straighten the trim and remove all the little bends in it from being palm-pounded. I just sit there bending it in & out trying to remove all the little peaks and valleys. Then lay it near the windshield, no seal installed, and try to shape it like the outline of the windshield.

Lastly, I highly recommend you prep the new windshield and rear window seals by removing the whitish greasy substance that it's coated with. It's a mold release agent that allows the rubber to be released from the machinery that establishes its shape. The stuff gets all over the glass and your hands when you're placing the seal around the glass and also when you're putting the glass in the car. A prep solvent like 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover or Eastwood's PRE does a good job of removing this stuff. I suspect something else like mineral spirits also works but I haven't tried that.
Past: '87 Carrera "The Unicorn"
Old Yesterday, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: