Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Fuel line bracket above steering rack

Before my engine rebuild last year I ran all new fuel lines (from Len). But I didn't take the steering rack out when I did it. Fast forward to now, I've rebuilt my steering rack and with that out of the way I noticed I screwed up the routing of the new lines. I didn't run them through the bracket last year. Didn't even realize it was there. I noticed the rubber portion of the lines was touching the corner of the bracket, and that worries me that over many miles it could abrade and weaken the line. Before I parked this for the winter I filled the tank and put in some fuel stabilizer, so I've got a full tank of gas. Disconnecting these lines to get them routed through the bracket means I'll have fuel to deal with. Pump side isn't a huge deal, as I can pinch off the soft line between tank and pump. But the return side is a problem. Anyone got any tips for me so I don't have to drain 18 gallons of fuel? I do have Len's updated lines, so I can disconnect them from both the tank/pump and the tunnel lines.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

I think I just figured it out. Pinch off the soft line going to the return, disconnect from tunnel line, route through bracket, reconnect with tunnel line. Unless there's a better way....
Old 01-14-2018, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Jameel, I too replaced my tunnel hoses, albeit with the rack out and did run them through that little bracket, but I wonder how important it really is? If you wanted to leave well enough alone, you could split some spare hose lengthwise as an insulator and zip tie it around the bracket itself, or you could do the same around the hoses themselves, and not-too-tightly secure the hoses to the bracket for extra security.

I realize this approach may be considerd unsightly and half-arsed! But I think it would suffice. Others may have better thoughts. Best, John in CT.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Are you sure the fuel lines go there? Thought I remembered either a/c or oil lines went there. Not sure but something doesn't seem right. Just double check before you go threw all that trouble. But than again you could be correct. Ha

78 911sc Targa
70 911T
Old 01-14-2018, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Ok. My idea worked fine. I was able to disconnect both of Len's rubber lines from the tunnel lines with just a few drops of fuel that leaked out. But I was only able to get one line through the bracket. Just too tight for Len's fittings to pass through with one hose through. And honestly, it seems like the bracket might be a wear point on the rubber line. Maybe I'm over analyzing? I ended up stuffing a split rubber breather hose in around the fuel line to cushion it against the bracket. The top of the fuel line is pressed up against the underside of the body. Does that seem okay? I tend to overthink these things, but a fuel leak I don't want! Also, one of the lines is touching the crimp fitting on the other line (yellow circle). It's not pressing hard against it, but it does come to rest there. I'm wondering it that's also a potential place for wear? I'm thinking the rubber on these lines is pretty thick and can stand some rubbing here and there, but my mind wants the rubber parts to basically be floating in space everywhere. These areas are cramped for space, it's tough to achieve that.

Oh, and my vise grips are dedicated tools for this. The jaws have been ground smooth, rounded and polished.

Old 01-14-2018, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: