Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Porsche camping?

The camping trip post by Soaz below got me thinking. Are there many others who camp out of their Porsches? We have always really enjoyed this. Our cars have been in many national parks, state parks, BLM lands, roadside campgrounds, race track infields, and just the middle of nowhere on occasion. 911's, and especially 356's are Porsche's real S.U.V.

Pepper van? Bah! Who needs em!

Camping out of Cha's targa, well off the beaten path, on BLM in Utah last fall.

Last edited by Daves911L; 01-22-2018 at 06:51 PM..
Old 01-22-2018, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
My other ride is a C-130J

Garage
Our extended family goes to Joshua Tree every year, with 23 years experience of “camping” under my belt with the Air Force I’m basically in charge of everything including bringing the firewood and food (in addition to my tent and equipment.)

Our group is usually out for 3-4 days, couldn’t fit all that stuff in my Targa so I take the 955. The Cayenne has a basket on the tow hitch for the wood and a Thule Pod on the roof for shovels, sleeping bags, tools etc. We always make time to visit 29 Palms Marine Corps Base to visit the assortment of Iron they have laying around.

Previously Owned Art from Stuttgart
2000 Boxster -1983 911 SC Cab -1984 944 N/A

Last edited by RNajarian; 01-22-2018 at 09:33 PM..
Old 01-22-2018, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The day after I got the 911 I packed up a sleeping bag and a tent, checked the oil, and did a three week drive about.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Camping without a motor coach is for the young and fit.
Old 01-23-2018, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage

Garner state park in Texas with some friends. We started in Austin and had an awesome two day drive going all the way out to Brackettville, TX.

This was one of the most fun drives I’ve ever done.

Last edited by Scbrindley; 01-23-2018 at 04:30 AM..
Old 01-23-2018, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Wildman Emeritus

Yep. Road America every summer, providing no T storms in the forecast. Pretty minimalist as a buddy usually tags along and space becomes problematic for creature comforts. Still enough room for a tent, bags, cooler and a couple bag chairs. A lot more room when I travel alone or take the Suby.
2009 Suby Forester Wife's
2000 Boxter - Sold
Old 01-23-2018, 04:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

cycling has-been

Happy campers on the setting off for Watkins Glen ~1988

Bill K

Old 01-23-2018, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreigsr View Post
Happy campers on the setting off for Watkins Glen ~1988

Bill K

That has all the makings of a truly epic trip!
Old 01-23-2018, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scbrindley View Post

Garner state park in Texas with some friends. We started in Austin and had an awesome two day drive going all the way out to Brackettville, TX.

This was one of the most fun drives I’ve ever done.
Very cool. Looks like a great group. If you do it again,pass the word. Only a days drive for us from New Mexico and we'd do it in an instant. Cha is an Austin native so we always enjoy getting back to that part of the world.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNajarian View Post
Our extended family goes to Joshua Tree every year, with 23 years experience of “camping” under my belt with the Air Force I’m basically in charge of everything including bringing the firewood and food (in addition to my tent and equipment.)

Our group is usually out for 3-4 days, couldn’t fit all that stuff in my Targa so I take the 955. The Cayenne has a basket on the tow hitch for the wood and a Thule Pod on the roof for shovels, sleeping bags, tools etc.
Well, I can accept that with more than 2 people, a bigger vehicle would be in order. Its just the 2 of us, and we are physically compact humans. We have our packing down to an art. Minimalist and simple. Small tent, small bags, small stove, small cooler. But firewood, as you noted, can be a problem. I usually carry three logs in a duffel bag. Almost always we find unused wood left by previous campers, but occasionally we come up short. You could haul a pretty big load on that receiver rack.

Last edited by Daves911L; 01-23-2018 at 05:14 PM..
Old 01-23-2018, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Douglas View Post
The day after I got the 911 I packed up a sleeping bag and a tent, checked the oil, and did a three week drive about.
Nice! I imagine driving and camping on your island would be a superb experience.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves911L View Post
Very cool. Looks like a great group. If you do it again,pass the word. Only a days drive for us from New Mexico and we'd do it in an instant. Cha is an Austin native so we always enjoy getting back to that part of the world.
Will do!

You should come down for the Hill Country Rallye in March. One of the drives will follow most of the route we did on this outing.

People come from all over the country....including New Mexico. We had about 130 cars last year. I guarantee you’ll have a great time.

Here’s the site: Home

Last edited by Scbrindley; 01-23-2018 at 07:10 PM..
Old 01-23-2018, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Favourite car to camp with:

Old 01-23-2018, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Search for RoninLB or “big big ride” in this forum. Get a beer, sit down and read his exploits, and toast to a great, long-lost Pelican. One of the best.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
I will likely be car camping at Chuckwalla this weekend. We usually bring an RV with all the comforts, full tool locker, tire rack etc. No can do this weekend so I am working out the frugal details now. I have done it before and just get into backpacking mode but it is a very different experience.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpmulvan View Post
Camping without a motor coach is for the young and fit.
Yep, but I prefer a motel or hotel.

My idea of "camping" is a motel with slow wi-fi and a sub 30 inch HD TV.

Enjoy your time camping!

My wife and I will not be joining in that fun. Just my opinion. Yours can be different.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 01-24-2018, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Camping in the old Porsche's is the best! My wife, myself, and our dog went on a little camping trip out to Big Bend from Austin last year and here are some pics.

Tallest bridge in Texas

Camping in the Cottonwood campground on the border of Mexico

One of the entrance signs into Big Bend NP

Hanging out with an air-cooled cousin.

Helping give a jump to a very large, but dead beast of a rig.

The golden hour inside the park.

Happy wife and happy dog.

Last edited by Jed Rogers; 01-24-2018 at 07:07 AM..
Old 01-24-2018, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Rogers View Post
Camping in the old Porsche's is the best! My wife, myself, and our dog went on a little camping trip out to Big Bend from Austin last year and here are some pics.

The golden hour inside the park.
This is a stunningly beautiful photo. Looks like an awesome trip. We have been to Big Bend, but very long ago. Maybe it is time to go back! Pleased to hear that there are others who like to use their Porsches in this way.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Nah man, that's what the 80 series is for!

I get way too muddy and dirty for the 911.
Old 01-24-2018, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Don't be afraid. Our cars are more capable than you may think.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: