Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Project 77 - new build

Hi All,
Starting a thread to share a new build.
From Australia, but sourcing most of the parts in California and currently building the car in LA @ Pro Motorsports.

Darien

Last edited by DHE11; 01-24-2018 at 04:12 AM.. Reason: Intro
Old 01-23-2018, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Project 77 - new build

Before jumping straight into the new one, first a bit of history of how this all started, and pay homage to my outgoing car (which I loved,) but decided to sell to fund the new adventure.

It was originally a US 1977sc imported to Australia and converted to RHD, C2 widebody and had an 84’ 3.2 fitted. Perfect for me, and what became an all too well known case of slippery slope and track addiction.
Picture below was as I bought it, and parked outside the hotel before my first track day with Porsche Club NSW.

Over 5-6 years I obsessively developed it into what became a class winning car in two states, winning multiple sprint, motorkhana and outright club championships. Also some Hillclimbs!
Most of the work was weight reduction, suspension mods with full Rebel RSR gear, smart racing ARB’s and custom dampers and retained torsion bars to keep it in class.
Engine internals were stock except headers and custom tune, with short gears and LSD which livened it up so it felt like more than the 234HP it was. I did my own aero experimentation with spittter, flat bottom etc withsome inspiration and assistance from this forum.
While it certainly was not the fastest car in a straight line (235kph max), it held its own around corners and handled very, very well.

Bathurst 2015

Removed the big wing, splitter and de stickered for the new owner who has a few Porsches, and is going to keep it registered and still use it on the track. So it has gone to a good home which was part of my condition for sale that it not become a wash and polish garage queen...

Just before sale

Last edited by DHE11; 02-03-2018 at 02:06 AM..
Old 01-23-2018, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
First item I purchased was a 3.6 engine I found in California.
For a brief moment I was going to stop there and just do an engine swap to replace the 3.2 in my current car. This decision resolved itself quickly as word was out my car might be for sale and it sold within 24hrs. So now I needed a chassis too.

Back to the engine, It was fresh from rebuild and destined for a track car but never fitted. The rebuild was due a crank bearing, so it had a replacement crank with Pauter rods and ARP bolts etc, which should provide a solid bottom end. The remainder was stock specs.
As the engine had sat for a few years, there was a little risk in the purchase so i had it checked and run on an engine dyno. The mechanicals were fine, but fuel lines and injectors etc needed replacing. I was fortunate to find a plastic induction off a 94’ for sale off this site, and it became the first upgrade.
Danger -> This way to slippery Slope!
I promised myself to stop there as the motor was fresh from rebuild and the plan buying a fresh engine was to at least run it for two seasons to get some value from it before doing springs, cams , pistons etc etc.
While its probably ~265HP once tuned with some headers, i expect it will be a considerable step up from my 3.2 in HP and torque especially in a light chassis.

Last edited by DHE11; 01-24-2018 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: Ad d pics
Old 01-24-2018, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
The engine came with a 915/61 gearbox which was removed running and had a Quaiffe diff. I was in the process of sourcing parts to strengthen and fit a cooler, close ratio gears and plate style LSD etc when I found a race prepped gearbox in the for sale listings....

Spec list:
Mag case 915 gearbox (late '73 with externally replaceable mainshaft seal)
Bell housing notched for 3.2/3.6 crank sensors
late mainshaft
late reinforced sidecover
Wevo one piece bearing retainer
Wevo internal spray rail and plumbing
Weldon pump
Guard gears
Factory LSD with Guard internals set at 80% with 45# breakaway torque
108mm output flanges
Ratios:
1st 11:35 3.18
2nd 20:32 1.60
3rd 23:29 1.26
4th 25:26 1.04
5th 27:25 .925
Box was rebuilt and regeared with only one race weekend on the box before the car was retired from racing.

Basically covers the entire mod list i was going to do and price was reasonable (given the value of the parts alone).
As it sounded to good to be true so I needed to confirm the reason for sale and who built it -> Answer: Tyson Schmidt
No need to look any further, SOLD and now I had two gearboxes... (spare sold to Nathan this week)

This was as a very fortuitous meeting as while discussing what I had planned for the gearbox we kept in contact and Tyson helped me out while I was sourcing a chassis...

Old 01-24-2018, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
The overall vision was to build something adjustable and adaptable to run in everything from local Porsche Club sprints, to state level door to door events, gymkhana/motorkhana/autocross, hill climb and rally.

I enjoy competing in multiple events, and the different cars and people you meet, This is why i just didn’t buy a cup car, besides I really loved my aircooled experience and wasnt ready to give it up yet (and couldn’t afford both, and a two car transporter).

That meant the chassis and suspension would be the focus of the build. I had found some excellent cars on line, particularly a beatiful 74 RSR replica, however the part that was missing was “the build”. As i enjoy working on my cars as much as driving them, heart over head decision was to find one i could customise and build from scratch, exit the budget and timeframe!

After much searching, and in discussion with Tyson (given i was in Australia at the time) to ensure the basic chassis and existing roll cage was done right and provided a good foundation, this is what i bought.

Old 01-24-2018, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Cant wait to see this on the track . Not sure if u still remember me ( kevin from sydney )
Old 01-24-2018, 09:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Kevin
yes, those front air ducts on my old car are the ones i picked up from you a few years ago.
Then i sold you my strut tops when i fitted ER camber max’s....
Hope your well.

I saw a recent post of your the Aust NZ thread - look forward to seeing you cars progress.
I might copy this link there for the Aussies who dont follow here.
I’m planning to come to SYD in my new car for the Porsche 70th Bday event at Sydney Motorsport Park.
Might see you there.

Darien.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I want a 3.6 for long time , but just dont know how i can get from state .
Old 01-25-2018, 01:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Subscribed
Old 01-25-2018, 01:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
In between buying the engine and the chassis I had a bit of time to research suspension. I had been looking at adjustable dampers for many years, and made the decision on this build to go with a full coilover set up. This really provided a blank canvas and opened up the choices. Having done all the research and comparisons I decided to reach out to Motion Control Suspension, MCS is the evolution of JRZ/Moton, both well respected and proven brands, but MCS it the latest incarnation producing some fantastic, 1, 2 and 3 way dampers for Porsche specific applications.

A friend in Australia had fitted their dampers to road and track cars, mainly 944T’s and some 911’s and was really pleased with them. I value his feedback as he also competes and run Motons, so his unbiased feedback gave me a lot of confidence.
What really sold it for me (aside from Jerome and Lex’s experience behind the product) was my first talk with Wyatt who’s role I guess is technical sales, really helpful guy. Then when working through the specs we had several meetings between Wyatt, Tyson and myself, and Jerome also called me and was interested in what I was building. He wanted to make sure the package we were putting together was right for what I wanted from the car. Pretty cool when the owner/founder of the company calls for a chat and offers his expertise.

We ended up deciding the MCS 2 way dampers, with remote reservoirs would be best given the adjustability I wanted from high speed track to motorkhana / gymkhana etc. They also make their own front struts from scratch to custom specs for G series Porsches.

This shows their interest and commitment in supporting the older air cooled cars. I got the feeling Jerome and Wyatt just like old 911’s.
So after checking (and double checking) and signing off the specs sheets, the order was placed for a set of dampers and new struts.
Old 01-25-2018, 04:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
When i bought the chassis it had a damaged front cowl (PO said he forgot to lock the pins and the bonnet flew up while on the trailer one day).
He hadn’t got round to repairing, so as part of the sale we agreed to look at the options. Because the hinges had cut into and bent both sides, it looked easier to replace the whole panel than try and cut out two sections and fix it.

Found a 993 roof section from which the cowl section was available, and given I’m going to paint the car, now was the time to cut out and replace the whole section.

Much Better.
Now need to find a 993 wiper mechanism.
Added on the to do list....

Last edited by DHE11; 01-25-2018 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: Photos
Old 01-25-2018, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Subscribed! I’m going to enjoy this!
Cheers... James
Old 01-26-2018, 12:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by icu_jimmy View Post
Subscribed! I’m going to enjoy this!
Cheers... James
Welcome aboard James
Me too!
Old 01-26-2018, 02:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage

Old 01-26-2018, 02:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
After the front cowl repair, the car went to Pro Motorsports and I travelled to LA to meet with Tyson Schmidt and Brad Keegan in their Burbank workshop.
Spent a few days with the guys going over the whole car and discussing the build plans.

Old 01-26-2018, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
From the moment i knew i was building another 70’s 911 the colour choice was made...
Its a bold choice, i have not seen many around, and none in Australia i know of.
Anyone have a Karminrot coloured early 911? If so I’m keen to see it...

Sprayed a colour sample back in Australia and brought it with me...
I understand there are two codes, i have chosen the darker one.

POR009 Karminrot

Last edited by DHE11; 01-26-2018 at 07:24 PM..
Old 01-26-2018, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Mothy
Good choice. I’m rebuilding mine and it’s going to be done in the modern version Carmine Red as per 991 GTS, current 718 and Cayman GTS

Will be great to see the two cars together.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Mothy,
Look forward to seeing your build too.
The new Carmine red on your IROC should look good! More of a true red.

I’m going with the original 70’s version, which i beleive has a little more purple (or blue?) added to make it darker, more magenta than red colour.

Below is a picture of an IROC bodied car in a colour which i beleive is Karminrot.
There are two different versions, this photo, and one in a different light/camera settings and looks more pink, or “Fraisey”

Old 01-26-2018, 08:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Mothy
If that is your planned colour it will look great- definitely looks to have a purplish tint.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
This is from the Glassurit site, so yes it should come out similar to photo above.

Old 01-27-2018, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: