Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3.2 Owners: Check your throttle cable adjustment!

As part of my continuing "refreshstoration" I have been going through my vacuum and intake lines to replace/repair/clean, etc... While I had everything apart I re-indexed the wiper arm on my AFM (since I was in there), and generally just went to town with carb cleaner (and self-fusing tape, which is freaking miracle stuff as far as I'm concerned). While I had my intake boot off I decided to check to make sure my throttle cable was properly adjusted and allowing the throttle plate to open all the way when the accelerator is floored. The attached is a pic of what I found. The thing was literally adjusted to open only about about 45% of "full throttle" when the gas pedal was mashed against the floorboard (for reference, the plate should be at 90 degrees, straight up and down). Because of this, my engine was not getting nearly max airflow, and also, I'm nearly positive the WOT switch was never engaging, meaning that the dme was never calling up the "full beans" WOT map!

So I got under the car, tightened up the cable and jam nut on the driver's side of the transmission, checked throttle operation, and repeated until it was "just right" (making sure I left enough slack to ensure that the small idle switch would engage when the throttle was closed).

Holy Crap. Its literally like a new car with 50 more ponies. I've seen threads and reports that the cables can fall out of adjustment rather easily over time, so I just thought I'd post up this reminder. It literally transformed my car and cost nada!
Old 02-06-2018, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Great job.

I'm going to put this on the list.
Thanks,
Dave
2001 996TT
Old 02-06-2018, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Nice work Scott, and thanks for the reminder.
1984 928s (S4 swap)
1987 928S4
Old 02-06-2018, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
To clarify, that flap should be perpendicular with the gas pedal floored ?
Old 02-06-2018, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Can you share more information on the self fusing tape-how does it work? Who makes it?
Thanks!
Old 02-07-2018, 04:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
make sure the gas pedal stop stops the pedal movement and not the throttle intake at full throttle. Failure to do this can bend the linkage at the pedal and result in a possible stuck throttle.
72 T met gold 92 K miles MI
70 TVR Vixen, 74 TVR M2500
Old 02-07-2018, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Here is a link to the tape I used. I got it at autozone. https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneous-non-automotive/tape/versachem-repair-silicone-tape/382800_0_0

I can't believe I've never heard of this stuff before. Its like magic. Its basically like electrical tape with a couple really important distinctions: 1) there is literally no adhesive so heat will not affect the bond (i.e., no sticky unraveling electrical tape coming apart in high-heat areas; and (2) it will not dry out after time and heat like tape. The stuff is amazing. The bond is so "complete" that you have to be careful not to let the tape double back on itself otherwise the piece is completely ruined (as in, it will not separate...it literally becomes one piece where it touches itself). I had a couple vacuum lines with super small little cracks, and one was 150 bucks and the other was NLA, and this completely sealed them up (as confirmed by starter fluid test). I suspect it will last for a long time.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
To clarify, that flap should be perpendicular with the gas pedal floored ?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "perpendicular to the gas pedal." But, to clarify, I adjusted the cable so that the throttle plate or "flap" in the throttle body goes from horizontal when "shut" (i.e., gas pedal is not pressed), to completely vertical when the pedal is floored (sticking straight up and down, i.e., 90 degrees of movement from shut.

There seems to be a slight amount of debate about whether the plate should be at 90 degrees, but based on all the threads I could find, I believe this is correct (which makes logical sense if you want max airflow at WOT with the least amount of restriction). And, the plate at 90 degrees is how every car I have ever owned has functioned at WOT. I believe it is pretty important to get this right. Think about all the effort and money people devote to eliminate every single little, minute, obstruction on intake tracts (extrude honing intake runners, porting and polishing TB's, expensive intakes with conical filters, etc...). A throttle plate that does not open all the way is like having a golf ball shoved in the throttle body!
Old 02-07-2018, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
heir 2 the original owner

Garage
Scott, do you have more pics and/or a step by step for what you did? I confess my ignorance at even basic engine stuff like this - but I'd love to learn to do what you did.

Thx
Frank
Old 02-08-2018, 06:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Check the turnbuckle behind the gas pedal. The bushings wear out, and the turnbuckle flops over to the right.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Thanks, I checked mine and adjusted it (911SC) about 25 years ago. Who knows, maybe it's time to check it again
Old 02-08-2018, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I have been planning to check this on my car for a year or so. I bookmarked this thread with pictures and tips: How to adjust throttle linkage?
Old 02-08-2018, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: