Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

3.0SC engine to FIA 3.0 rs or SCRS

Hi Guys,

has anyone built an FIA approved 3.0RS or SCRS engine out of a standard 3.0SC?

Is there any documentations or books that I could follow? Thanks,
Old 02-07-2018, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Oh yes.

You simply need to pore over every book & manual pertinent to these two vehicles and then source all the special parts & components needed to build a period-correct example. While certainly possible, its NOT cheap to do at all.
(503) 244-0990
porsche@rennsportsystems.com
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 02-07-2018, 08:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage

Sure love the way it sounds!
And a bunch of parts I haven't installed yet.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Hilbilly Deluxe

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@Rennsport View Post
While certainly possible, its NOT cheap to do at all.
Where would you even find a Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection system?
GTI Cup #43
Old 02-07-2018, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh yes.

You simply need to pore over every book & manual pertinent to these two vehicles and then source all the special parts & components needed to build a period-correct example. While certainly possible, its NOT cheap to do at all.
Thanks Steve. Can you help me which books/manual should i get?
Old 02-07-2018, 11:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
3.0RS used Bosh MFI, SC/RS used Kugelfisher

A modern EFI w/ ITBs , something like Motec would be much more doable

the p/c, cams, rods, valves etc are all available if not exactly cheap
Old 02-08-2018, 04:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcon5 View Post
Where would you even find a Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection system?
Wire me $50k and Iíll get one for you.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-08-2018, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

how does a SC/RS drivetrian feel compared to a 3.0RS? i here they arent as tractable at low rpms compared to the earlier RS car. i have no experience with both cars.

more understeery too being lighter in the front with the alloy panels. Frere once said it was a extremely low volume homologated special and the chassis wasnt really dialed in being it was expected to be revamped once the rally team got them.

i got my 954 aka SC-RS reprinted parts and spec manual off some fellow in the uk here on pelican. i dont recall his name unfortunately.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfaust View Post
i got my 954 aka SC-RS reprinted parts and spec manual off some fellow in the uk here on pelican. i dont recall his name unfortunately.
Mike, MB Engineering?
Old 02-08-2018, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I thought I saw a pump or maybe an engine with the pump in for sale section
Old 02-08-2018, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Verburg View Post
A modern EFI w/ ITBs , something like Motec would be much more doable
And easier to tune!
Old 02-08-2018, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Here you go. 911/83 74 Carrera ROW/ RS engine 2.9 Andial kugelfischer MFI
Old 02-08-2018, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfaust View Post
how does a SC/RS drivetrian feel compared to a 3.0RS? i here they arent as tractable at low rpms compared to the earlier RS car. i have no experience with both cars.

more understeery too being lighter in the front with the alloy panels. Frere once said it was a extremely low volume homologated special and the chassis wasnt really dialed in being it was expected to be revamped once the rally team got them.

We have a genuine SC/RS at the shop right now and its a TOTALLY different animal from any SC,.....

Remember, the 3.0RS was a street car made for RSR homologation. The SC/RS is a race/rally car and not designed nor meant for puttering about in traffic. The SC/RS can be made to handle very very well, depending on whether its used for tarmac rally or off-road events.
(503) 244-0990
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 02-08-2018, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Quote:
We have a genuine SC/RS at the shop right now and its a TOTALLY different animal from any SC,.....

Remember, the 3.0RS was a street car made for RSR homologation. The SC/RS is a race/rally car and not designed nor meant for puttering about in traffic. The SC/RS can be made to handle very very well, depending on whether its used for tarmac rally or off-road events.
PICs, please.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 02-08-2018, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Do you know where to find technical documentation about the SC/RS? I'm in the process of transforming an SC into a light rally/track car and I could do with some inspiration from the holy grail
Old 02-08-2018, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Here's a summary of the 2, the '74 was the homologation base for the 3.0RSR, the SC/RS was the homologation base for the rally cars of that era. The 3.0RS al block was a precursor of the later 930 block, similar but no quite the same
Old 02-08-2018, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

RS 3.0 came with the same street mfi injection system as the 2.7RS, but with the pump calibrated for the larger displacement

SC/RS used a high butterfly race based system , with Kugelfischer pump, equal length plastic injection tubing. The fitted air cleaner system actually had an intake muffler on it to meet required noise standards !

1973 911S Glacier Blue
Old 02-08-2018, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
PICs, please.
Its in Rothmans livery so it looks just like the ones you see on the Internet.
(503) 244-0990
www.rennsportsystems.com
Old 02-08-2018, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
Wire me $50k and I’ll get one for you.
This has been on Ebay for years for a mere fraction of your price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-954-SCRS-MFI-Pump-Kugelfischer-Bosch-91111041300/222164928774?hash=item33ba0fc906:g:izUAAOSwzJ5XbYh z&vxp=mtr
Old 02-08-2018, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:

yes totally different using a 3.2 type M491 body too and not built on a SC or 930 body. panels, glass, pedals most of the motor and tranny guts are different.

judging but the suspension specs,even with the helper springs, i recall its a lot softer set up than my lighten M491 . they rally teams must have just chuck them in the bin as soon as the car arrived.

they are both 3.0RS and SC-RS are street cars made for homologation. at only 20 units was somewhat of an evolution cheater for group b which required 200 units. while the 3.0RS was a evo of a 2.7RS for the gr4 which is laughable since the cars are so very different. porsche must have coerced and pampered the scrutineers to get them to approve those numbers. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
Mike, MB Engineering?
yes thats it.. thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRE Cup View Post
RS 3.0 came with the same street mfi injection system as the 2.7RS, but with the pump calibrated for the larger displacement

SC/RS used a high butterfly race based system , with Kugelfischer pump, equal length plastic injection tubing. The fitted air cleaner system actually had an intake muffler on it to meet required noise standards !

bosch ended up acquiring kuglefisher shortly after the SC-RS. I think they still own the rights to them.

that MFI airbox besides the noise suppressor is different too, larger plenum volume than the 2.7RS i believe. those bellmouths look huge, what size are they?

the muffler ran a rally 3 exit type in which u can plug all 3 openings for noise. any one make an aftermarket equivalent ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
i saw a new in box sc-rs pump about ten years ago for sale, it was 12K and i thought that was outrageous then!

Last edited by panzerfaust; 02-09-2018 at 08:38 AM..
Old 02-08-2018, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: