Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

need a rebuild?

ok...tear down is commencing....need a rebuild...i think so.....

valves/guides are pretty toasty,,,,heads ...heading out to craig garrett for rebuild, while i deal with the rest...on the plus side...cams and rockers are great...Mahle, nikasil cylinders still showing cross-hatching........all to be measured to see if in spec and tear down completion/analysis completion is next.....

[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669
http://www.x-faktory.com/
Old 02-15-2018, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Funny that those pics show just how much dead space there is in the 911 exhaust port. Notice all the carbon buildup located in the same place. Now, match that carbon pattern with some Al welding and have some high flowing ports with built in reversion plugs.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 02-16-2018, 06:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Jamie....good thinking....but not in the plan for this one........total stock rebuild.....but maybe the next...Sometimes, I have time to work on my own projects and I have enough bits & pieces around the shop to make either a 2.5 short stroke or a 2.5 long-stroke or both....along with some seriously old school intake bits that I'll mod into EFI stuff..... I am building my next 911 out of an old 69-912 Sovren race car (dragged out of a lean-to-surrounded by blackberry brambles...I'd call it a barn find, but that would be insulting to most barns).....needs special moto-vation.

regards,
al

regards,
al
[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669
Old 02-16-2018, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by al lkosmal View Post
I have to laugh... I shipped my heads out with that temp sensor still on as well. I have no tool to take it off and have no desire to buy a tool to cut up a tool, just to make a tool to take it off..
Old 02-16-2018, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Yes, i know, having to have/make the special tool makes no sense if it's a on time event, but i do this fairly often, so it's worth it.......heads are currently, just sitting in the box, waiting for me to clean up the heads a bit, remove the temp sensor and pack properly......prior to shipping.

regards,
al
RGruppe #669
Old 02-16-2018, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by al lkosmal View Post
Greetings..........Following closely behind Rick's EFI project, I am rebuilding this 1984 Carrera, 3.2 engine. I am in the tear-down and analysis stage of the project and, I've just started.
Why is the engine being rebuilt ?
Old 02-16-2018, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnovak View Post
Funny that those pics show just how much dead space there is in the 911 exhaust port. Notice all the carbon buildup located in the same place. Now, match that carbon pattern with some Al welding and have some high flowing ports with built in reversion plugs.
Guinea pig here! Stop talking dirty like that...
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 02-16-2018, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

OT - I have a MIG spool welder for Al. Way faster material build-up compared with my TIG.

Back to Al's excellent build adventure.

@pmax. I suspect that the heads need some work. New guides and the usual machine work. Might as well clean up the rest while you are this far.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 02-16-2018, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

why.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmax View Post
Why is the engine being rebuilt ?
pmax.....per the owner....engine is 200K miles +....was tired, smoking...usual ****e.....go back and look at the pix.........will require new guides/valves/studs, etc. minimum....however, the cams/rockers look great and, although i haven't measured the pistons and cylinders, the cylinders are Nikasil and cross-hatching still looks good. I'm often amazed at how durable these engines are. I'll have it completely torn down, next week and all wear items measured...and then purchase all required parts and start building it back up again. i'll fire it up on my test stand and make a video of the results...stay tuned.

regards,
al
RGruppe #669
Old 02-16-2018, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

weld

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnovak View Post
OT - I have a MIG spool welder for Al. Way faster material build-up compared with my TIG.

Back to Al's excellent build adventure.

@pmax. I suspect that the heads need some work. New guides and the usual machine work. Might as well clean up the rest while you are this far.
pmax......this will be a complete rebuild....everything refurbed/replaced to spec

Jamie.....I have a MIG spool welder too....not currently being used to mod ports, but is being put to good use on my 69-911.5 rust bucket....rockers, floors need new metal.....working on the flares now......old school 911-ish hot rod.
RGruppe #669
Old 02-16-2018, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Indeed.

At 200K, engine looks great so far. If a leakdown was done, it would be interesting to correlate the findings with the engine condition. I suspect the valve guides have been replaced once already. If not, I wanna hear the owner's secret !
Old 02-16-2018, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: