Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I’ll beat wildthing’s offer by 10%.
Old 02-08-2018, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Driver, not Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvr2mny View Post
I’ll beat wildthing’s offer by 10%.
I'd counter if it were a coupe. Hahahaha
Old 02-08-2018, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
'73 911 T Targa

Garage
That’s a nice looking car.

The guy that stiffed the mechanic doesn’t deserve it.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Post the prospective buyer’s name here so everyone will know what a D bag he is.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldstart View Post
The PPI cost was $300 for 2 hours labor/labour. A leak down test was done with good results. I only ended up paying half as the buyer flaked on paying the mechanic. The mechanic shared half the blame.

The point of this thread is for future sellers/mechanics to ensure payment or credit card info ahead of time.

I agree the prospective buyer should have paid the bill and the Mechanic got lazy and did not protect himself.

BUT. You now have a PPI to show the next buyer. You will now receive the benefit of this PPI. But you feel it's not your responsibility to pay for it.
That would bother me. I'd pay the guy the full $300.00
Old 02-09-2018, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
I agree the prospective buyer should have paid the bill and the Mechanic got lazy and did not protect himself.

BUT. You now have a PPI to show the next buyer. You will now receive the benefit of this PPI. But you feel it's not your responsibility to pay for it.
That would bother me. I'd pay the guy the full $300.00
Good point. It was money well spent.

I always get the first guy to PPI my cars to give me a copy if they pass on it. That way I have a free PPI to show the next guy.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-09-2018, 07:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

A lot of people think that may be biased though...
Old 02-09-2018, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by john walker's workshop View Post
A lot of people think that may be biased though...
I've never had it be a problem. Someone else paid for it, their name is on the written results that I scan, and I just add it to my ad or email it to people.

Only once have I had a buyer say,"I paid for this, you can't have it" and I didn't make an issue out of it. He had used what the mechanic found as part of his negotiation, so I knew what things were found and I just verbally relayed that info to the next guy, who bought the car.

Some people still believe that we are a community of enthusiasts and all in this together. Some people act strictly for self interest. I guess I've been pretty lucky in dealing with mostly the former in my transactions.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-09-2018, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Eva

Garage
I recently had an issue with a PPI for a motor.

The shop wanted $250 for a compression and leak-down test, failed to properly execute the leak-down test (for a myriad of very strange/rookie excuses) and proceeded to try to sell me on why the motor was great and I should buy it, but they just had some issues with doing the test that should be overlooked.

As you can imagine, the seller, whom just rebuilt the motor...was more stunned than I as the results would read that the motor needed to be rebuilt....

Good thing is he's an honest (my perception) and mechanically inclined (BMW Tech) seller who was able to perform leak-downs on his own and the results came back as they should, with 2 separate testers, on a freshly rebuilt motor.

I emailed the shop and made a case for why I wanted my money back. Then had a phone call the following day, and they were reasonable enough, understood my stance, and refunded the $ for failing to not only perform the test, but try and stand behind incorrect results...

End of the day: A shop PPI can really cause chaos in the buying process when the buyer is otherwise attempting to do their due diligence
"The car has been the cave wall on which Industrial Man has painted his longings and desires." -Eddie Alterman-
Old 02-09-2018, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

When I have purchased or sold Porsche's long distance the buyer always dealt directly with the shop. Other than dropping the car off and picking it up the seller was out of the PPI. I always got a copy of the PPI too when selling. I ask the potential buyers for a copy in advance, no one has declined. Seems like PPI's are less common these days. Maybe the buying process is more frantic with people looking to snatch up good deals and the whole auction mentality.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Not sure how it works where yall live but here in Oilberta there is a thing called a mechanic’s lien. If the mechanic doesn’t get paid, lien goes on the car and has to be cleared before any resale, or it cannot be registered or exported.

Note that it doesn’t matter who contracted for a PPI; the prospective buyer may have made all the arrangements but the seller’s car gets the lien in the event of nonpayment.
2015.5 Volvo XC60 (foul weather ride)
2003 Volvo XC70 (winter pig)
Old 02-09-2018, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
If I ever sold my SC I would have John Walker PPI the car and pay him, then use that information to sort the car and lay out the case for my asking price. If someone didn't trust JohnW, I'd know it was someone I wouldn't care to sell the car to anyways.
That's pretty much what I did but here locally. Picked the best well known P-shop in town and used that PPI inspection to sort out a few issues and then listed my car. (its on BAT now). I haven't had one person question it. Should speed up the entire process also since that's been done already.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
PPI is one of the services we offer at the restoration shop that I manage.
This is how I handle the transaction. The potential buyer must contact us for the PPI, not the dealer. I send a quote, they agree on the quote, they arrange for the car to be delivered to our shop. Once the car is scheduled I get their contact info and credit card number. The car arrives, we do the PPI and run the card. I then email the results of the PPI to the potential buyer.

I prefer not to interact with dealers or sellers as it creates a conflict of interest. If we find a deal breaker on the car the dealer gets pissed at us for costing them a sale. No thanks.

As for costs, we charge $390 for the full systems inspection which includes a compression test. Leak down is an extra $95. It is worthy to note and remember a PPI is a snapshot in time. The moment that car leaves our lot anything can happen to it. This fact also makes a PPI that the owner has had done pretty much worthless after the fact. A PPI for the owner should only be done so they can see what needs attention.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: