Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Worn distributor bushings - fixed by partsklassic

My 200k mile 85 Carerra distributor failed 2 weeks ago when the rotor crashed into the cap because the top bushing was so badly worn. I searched Pelican for insight and contacted several local (San Diego, CA) Porsche shops and decided the best bet was to send it to ************ in Flagstaff, AZ. They did a fantastic job on the restoration, it looks like new and performs perfectly. All new bushings, seals, shims, cap & rotor. They soda blasted it and replaced every wear part. I sent it to them on a Monday and received it back the following Monday ready to install! I may have been able to do it for less by buying the parts from them and having a local shop do the work but I wanted it quickly and I wanted to be sure that this was something I wasn't going to have to worry about for many more years so I let the pro's handle it. Worth every penny!
-Chuck
Old 02-09-2018, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Chuck, very cool and good to know. Thanks for posting. John in CT.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckRiley View Post
I wasn't going to have to worry about for many more years so I let the pro's handle it. Worth every penny!
Good info.

I have always felt a sense of relief the times I have paid a pro to do oddball yet expensive stuff on my 911. (e.g., trans rebuild)

Seriously, if you have one old 911 (or other relic) how many times are you going to rebuild the distributor? You are finished unless you are 22 years old.

It pinches usually one time for quality.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I had them do mine as well and it came back beautiful and working smooth and properly.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 02-09-2018, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

From experience with my SC I can tell you:

IF you hear a crunchy kind of knocking sound in your engine near the distributor, put your hand around the distributor while the engine is running and you just might now be able to synchronize the sound with the feeling in your hand. Then with the engine off, remove the distributor cap and look at the contacts inside the side of the cap. Are they beat? Next grab the rotor and try to lift it up. Can you lift it up more than a few millimeters? As in about 1/4 inch?! If so, swap the distributor out for a known good one and your troubles are gone.....until you fix the old one!
Old 02-09-2018, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckRiley View Post
My 200k mile 85 Carerra distributor failed 2 weeks ago when the rotor crashed into the cap because the top bushing was so badly worn. I searched Pelican for insight and contacted several local (San Diego, CA) Porsche shops and decided the best bet was to send it to ************ in Flagstaff, AZ. They did a fantastic job on the restoration, it looks like new and performs perfectly.
Before and after pics of the dizzy would be technically informative.

Quote:
All new bushings, seals, shims, cap & rotor. They soda blasted it and replaced every wear part. I sent it to them on a Monday and received it back the following Monday ready to install! I may have been able to do it for less by buying the parts from them and having a local shop do the work but I wanted it quickly and I wanted to be sure that this was something I wasn't going to have to worry about for many more years so I let the pro's handle it. Worth every penny!
-Chuck
How much did it cost you ?
Old 02-09-2018, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Location: Placerville, CA.... You know, the only place on Highway 50 between Sacramento and Lake Tahoe the you find signal lights. Above the fog most of the time and I can see the stars of the Milky Way 8 out of 10 nights. Kinda cool.....
Garage
Worn distributor bushings - fixed by partsklassic

They helped me awhile back with my 78 SC distributor that decided one afternoon that it was hangery and ate itself at freeway speeds. That is when I was educated that this dizzy was a two year only model. Hence being made from Unobtainium made it a wee bit of a challenge.

But Alas, they hooked me up and they offer many additional items for our cars.

So I guess the moral to my story....
Inspect your dizzy frequently for free play and a drop or two of oil to keep the felt lubricated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1978 911SC Targa
Working Projects: 1968 912

Last edited by bugstrider; 02-09-2018 at 08:56 PM..
Old 02-09-2018, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Here’s a before and after bit less than $500

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 02-09-2018, 03:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
+1 Kurt does great work......
Old 02-10-2018, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: