Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

H5 to H4 conversion - trim advice

So I've just moved to Australia and brought my 1988 coupe along with me. I knew before I got here that I was going to need to switch my headlights so that they aim left instead of right, because we drive on the left over here. This is required and checked when you register a left hand drive car here. Unfortunately, I *thought* my car already had H4 headlights, so I ordered a set of left-aimed H4 lenses from the UK and brought them with me. Then last week when the car finally arrived and I went to put them on, I discovered I actually have H5s.

So now I need to get a set of H4s. I've read the tech articles, I've got a Pelican shopping cart full of bits (turns out it's cheaper to get these shipped from Pelican than to buy them locally), but I'm unclear what the situation is with the trim rings. My car is black, and has black painted trim rings to match. I see that I can order the H4s with black or chrome rims, but the black appears to be matte rather than glossy like my car's paint. And then Pelican also sells primered trim ring covers.

So am I understanding correctly that if I want to match the look that my car has now, I need to get the primered trim ring cover and have it painted? Is it going to look weird if I just use the matte black headlight unit with no trim cover?

Pictures would be a bonus, if you have them
Old 02-13-2018, 01:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
Yes, IMO you need to get them painted. The primer on them as shipped is not going to look right on your car and I doubt it will hold up well exposed to the elements..
Old 02-13-2018, 03:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

make sure these are in your cart

911-631-033-00-M260 55 in stock
Ships Tomorrow!

Headlamp Rim Screw (Inner)
Brand: O.E.M.
[More Info] [Choose alternate brand]

$7.25

$14.50

Project List
911-631-132-00-M260 100+ in stock
Ships Tomorrow!

Headlamp Rim Screw (Outer)
Brand: O.E.M.

$1.00

$2.00

PEL-H5H4-CPL 15 in stock
Ships Tomorrow!

H5 to H4 Headlight Plug Adapter, 14 gauge wire, Hi-Temp Plugs

$27.95
Old 02-13-2018, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Good advice on the special screws and adapter plugs. Note plugs come in pairs, so you only need to order one set.

The black rings on the H4 lamps I have are glossy enough that I would think they would work for you since you have a black car. However, note that this ring has the headlamp aiming screws in it and they would then be exposed (though not a big deal). The trim ring covers this up and is retained by a single screw at the bottom (it screws into the special screw above: a "screw-into-a-screw"). Getting primered rings, and painting to exactly match your car, is probably best. In my case, I have a red car, so I had the primered ones painted by a local body shop ($175).
Old 02-13-2018, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys, this was very helpful! I had the adapter plugs in the cart but not the screws, though I knew I needed some. I just want to get all the right stuff in one order, given how far I am from Pelican (now!). I'll post up some pictures when I'm done.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: