Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Seat upholstery type and colour issues

Hi.

I would like to return my car to original specification. The only actual thing that needs to be done is the interior, as the PO did a reupholstery job in faux leather.
Not a bad one at all but I like originality. The rest of the car is highly original.

I know the car had cloth inserts before, but I have not been able to find out what the most likely pattern was.

The car is a 1980 SC in Wine Red metallic with Black interior (white roof lining).
It has sports seats with black vinyl on the back and sides.
The rest of the car is very basic with practically no options at all, it would have been as basic as you can get.

Would anyone have an idea of the likely cloth insert pattern and colour?

I do not know if the Porsche script cloth was available in 1980 yet. I also believe the Pinstripe flannel wasn't available in 1980. I also think Tartan is highly unlikely, especially since there is no wine red/black type I could find.
I would expect a Black/White pasha is most likely, but this usually seems to include the headrests and not as inserts only. The head rests are also black vinyl, so the cloth inserts would be back and seat centers only.

I have not been able to find images online of a close colour combination with sports seats.
2014 BMW R NineT motorcycle.

Last edited by irrational_e; 02-13-2018 at 12:32 PM..
Old 02-13-2018, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
My 78 had a pinstripe velour insert on the front seats - also a basic car, no A/C, or power windows etc.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Try this company. Email them and they’ll likely know the answer. Werk 924.com - Home
If they can’t help, then try Lakewell.com
Old 02-14-2018, 05:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
@irrational_e are you planning to do the work yourself or use an upholsterer? I ask because I just recently had the butts of my seats redone to repair rips. The local Porsche club had a tech session with this upholsterer last summer just after I purchased my car. Last month I took the seats our and had them do they work - other than the difference in wear, the new seat butts exactly match the rest of the original leather. He had books and books of leather and carpet samples. He also rebuilt the foam in the seats, so not only do they look better, they are much more comfortable now.

Anyway, you might want to contact the local Porsche club to see if they have any upholsterers that are known to Porsche owners or just check around yourself.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Oh, to follow up here is a before and after comparison:

Old 02-14-2018, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by irrational_e View Post
Hi.

I would like to return my car to original specification.

I have not been able to find images online of a close colour combination with sports seats.
You may want to request a COA from Porsche which could yield the info that you are looking for. If you have matching engine/transmission, this would be a confirmation of that, which as well would be an appropriate compliment to the car for you to have given your desire to emphasize the car as original.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I as well had a professional reupholster my seats :

Old 02-14-2018, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I would definitely ask a professional upholsterer.
I value experience!
Those seats of yours look perfect.

Thanks for the advice.
I sent out a mail to the Porsche dealer to see if they can get that detail info from Porsche themselves using the VIN number.
I am lucky enough to have a full history on my car with original and complete books, but I believe there was a partial respray at some point. Very well done, but the sticker with options is missing from the bonnet and those are not listed in the booklet unfortunately.

I suspect the black/pinstripe cloth is most likely even though info I found said it wasn't officially available from 1980-1984.
Wine Red was also not an official 1980 colour, only 1981+, so at least one part of the car was "special" in a way.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
911 carrera 3.2 (1985)

Porsche Crest

https://www.porsche.com/germany/accessoriesandservices/classic/genuinepartsandhistoricaldocuments/historicaldocuments/colourcharts911g/

Tab "Interieur und exterieur" 911 G 1978

Kees.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Ooh. Now that is super helpful, thank you!
I'd think 1978-1980 had the same official specs.

It also points to the black pinstripe with the black leatherette.

As for our local Porsche club, I sadly do not have good experiences with regards to both knowledge and attitude. At least my mechanics are very experienced maintainers since the 1970s and will be able to manage all the details once I have the specs.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
There are a bunch of companies on E-bay that sell the replacement seat covers. Not too difficult to do your self. They should have original replacements. You may need to buy the hog rings and tool that keep it tight.

Chris
Old 02-15-2018, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Just a follow up.
Porsche returned with info after a very long wait.
It is listed as: Interior leatherette black/checker-velours Grey.

I am not sure what the grey means, but I expect black/white. So Pasha inserts it is!
Luckily I like the pasha as quirky period look.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: