Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
911 carrera 3.2 (1985)

Porsche Crest Ambient air valve

I've bought a new ambient air valve, bracket and hoses.

Technical Bulletin says: connection for the short hose is marked with an arrow. I'm a little bit confused. Can anybody point out where to put the large hose and the short hose? The small hose is obvious.

Thanks,
Kees

Old 02-13-2018, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Others will chime in, but I suspect that as long as you hook up the vacuum line to the smaller bottom nipple, it won't matter which way you hook up the oil tank vent hoses.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
911 carrera 3.2 (1985)

Porsche Crest

Thanks for your reply, but there's definitely an arrow on the valve so it seems to me it matters.

Can somebody please take a picture of their (911 3.2 > 1986) ambient air valve?

Kees.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
This is the only picture I can find, it's from a 1987 3.2 -

The flow is from the oil tank to the throttle body.

Mike
Old 02-15-2018, 04:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MConn View Post
The flow is from the oil tank to the throttle body.

Mike
I agree - it is to provide warmer air from the oil tank to prevent throttle body icing in cold conditions. There isn't much in the Bentley manual beyond this info. My '87 has the original Pierburg part and it looks like Mikes' photo.

'87 Targa Carrera 3.2 - Fabspeed Cat Bypass, M&K Muffler, SW Chip
Venetian Blue
Old 02-15-2018, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I am looking for same part. Do you have part number and where did you buy part?
Old 05-01-2018, 08:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86CarreraCoupe View Post
I am looking for same part. Do you have part number and where did you buy part?
Here is picture of my 86 911.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

930-207-227-02 which supersedes -01 apparently. Dunno what happened to the -00 version which is called for in the PET Katalog.

You can get them from our host.

I thought our friend Dimitri would be all over this, but I don't think he'll mind. ;-)

BTW - you can type in ambient air valve here in the parts search and get the number or use the PET.

And I wonder how Kee's made out?

Venetian Blue
Old 05-01-2018, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
911 carrera 3.2 (1985)

Porsche Crest

While I'm in there, I'm in the progress of cleaning the engine bay and changing all of the oil breather hoses, clamps.
Will send pictures when I'm done.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

oh cool

Venetian Blue
Old 05-02-2018, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks!
Old 05-03-2018, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Great info on this. Really appreciate the guidance. My Ambient Air Valve and check valve system were making the infamous 'buzzing' noise and I finally got around to ordering the parts to repair.

I've seen posts suggest blocking it off, and even my seasoned Porsche trained tech said 'no value', but I like stuff to work, so I just did this 'superceded' part.

Please know that my old AAV had the 3 hoses - as all should - but with differences notable to the new part #:

1. The center vacuum hose on old is now coming out the side.

2. Importantly, the hose bib/nipple on the new part is considerably smaller than the old. Even the new hoses I bought from Porsche (and subsequently returned) are larger, like my current ones, than will fit onto the new nipple.

3. You will need the new bracket and the new AAV as the old bracket is nowhere near compatible without adhesives. Your choice on that as it's around $70 for the bracket. Oh well.

4. Check hose condition. Mine were fine, save from the one from the one-way check valve (with the built in tapered bulge, but this is NLA. Some creative fiddling would probably resolve this, but mine had no leaks as I could tell.)

In order to refit the new AAV, this was for my 1985 Carrera 3.2:

1. Remove 3 old AAV hoses. 1) From oil tank, 2) To throttle body, 3) To vacuum port.
Arrow direction should be facing 'forward' to front of car.

2. Remove AAV using 14mm socket with medium extension. I found it far easier to remove air breather lid for access.

3. Check hose fitment to new AAV. Vacuum line is the same. Yet warm air hoses were larger than nipple on new AAV as noted. Conveniently, the new nipple is basically the identical OD to the ID of the old nipple. So, optionally....

3A. Remove nipples from old AAV using Dremel or other.
3B. Lightly remove barb from new AAV nipple to accommodate fitment of old nipples. (See pic.) On mine this was an exact, tight fit.
3C. Epoxy or weatherstrip adhere old nipples to new AAV. Let dry.

4. Lightly re attach new bracket to stud, allowing it to move out of the way.

5. Thread hoses for neatness and short routing to new AAV with newly installed nipples. Arrow goes 'forward'.

6. Note hose from oil tank goes 'under' the new bracket so it won't bind.

7. Tighten bracket.

8. Slip in new AAV until prongs are snug.

That's pretty much it. Except for the stupid nipple problem (make your own joke here), this was a 30 minute process.
Hope this helps.

Porsche 911SC '81
Audi S4 Avant V8 manual, '05

Last edited by AHudson; 06-13-2018 at 06:59 AM..
Old 06-13-2018, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: