Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Rausch and Spiegle Dog Teeth Quality - Better?

Ive seen mixed reviews on these over the last 5 years from notable builders. In the last 1-2 years it appears that they have gotten better and the only guys who are back cutting the teeth.

So million dollar question is ... Have they actually gotten better or are people just living with the issues and quality since they are the only game in town?

The OEM Porsche ones are NLA so "German OE Brand" and Rausch and Spiegle are the only choices. I have new OEM syncho rings and sliders to install and want quality dog teeth. I am going to reach out to Carquip about the versions they are selling to see which brand. Any other sources out there or who to stay away from? Thanks!
Old 02-14-2018, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I just put new R&S dogteeth with new syncro rings on my 1st and 2nd gears, they both speced well within the factory values (86mm? I think)

The syncro ring sat flush within the teeth, with no gaps.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
gearhead

No, people aren't just living with it. R&S have changed the design of the replacement teeth and they do now have the proper backcut on them. The German OEM ones do not.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-14-2018, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Monson View Post
No, people aren't just living with it. R&S have changed the design of the replacement teeth and they do now have the proper backcut on them. The German OEM ones do not.
Thanks for confirming this Matt. Is it worth trying finding/paying for NOS or just go with the R&S teeth.

On a side note I have heard of people get the german ones and having the teeth backcut. Is this an option worth it in the long run?
Old 02-14-2018, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
gearhead

I’m not sure Porsche even offered them as a service part way back when. I’ve seen many nos gears missing the synchro teeth because they were harvested.

The R&S parts now made are fine. One can put the backcut on the new German ones. That is what we do after we press them on the gears during manufacturing. A couple members here offer a service. Jerry Austin comes to mind.

I have a pile of excellent used 901/915 teeth. I have no 1 or 2 but if you need any for other positions message me. $25 each.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-14-2018, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks Matt. I appreciate the advice.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks Matt for chiming in. One additional point though : can you share with us why you still use the "German OE" and backcut them, rather than simply source the already backcut ones from R&S?
Do the German OE have other advantages over the R&S?
Thanks in advance for enlightening us.
Mathieu
Old 02-14-2018, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100sport View Post
Thanks Matt for chiming in. One additional point though : can you share with us why you still use the "German OE" and backcut them, rather than simply source the already backcut ones from R&S?
Do the German OE have other advantages over the R&S?
Thanks in advance for enlightening us.
Mathieu
A 2 decades long relationship with the oem supplier. We have always backcut them. We also blueprint the cones on the German oem g50 dogs.
2008 Cayman S Mule
Old 02-14-2018, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Cutting this final angle AFTER the teeth have been installed on the gear (the way Matt does it) will have a higher degree of precision. Coarse splines can vary a tad, but the gears bore is always "center". So, the synchro band will always spin perfectly true on Matt's gear, while this won't be guaranteed with pre-cut teeth.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: