Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
ORLANDO Porsche owners

Hi All,

Recently dropped my motor replaced the air box and now the car won't start. When it comes to electronics I'm useless. Wondering if there are any local Florida owners on here that could help me diagnose my issues.

Issue. Turn the key and no sound from. Fuel pump.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Need to know what motor. Year. More info
Old 02-26-2018, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Len, 78 911 SC.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I'm sure someone will help you.i just had this happen to me. But it was a 3.2...im not familiar with your year..sorry. good luck
Old 02-26-2018, 03:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Heck I'm only 5 not 65!

Garage
You said that you dropped the motor to replace the airbox. Was it a complete removal of the engine or just lowered to remove the airbox? Did you verify that all of the electrical connectors you disconnected were reconnected. As a safety feature just turning the key will not start the fuel pump. You would need to lift the airplate or jumper the fuel pump relay. Does the engine turnover when you try to start the car? If yes have you checked for spark at one of the plugs? Without knowing more info on what you did exactly it would be difficult to give advice on what to check.

The first time I dropped my engine and reinstalled I missed one of the electrical connectors on the back of the cis throttle body. It cranked but would not start. If I remember correctly it was the cold start valve and without it the car would not start due to lack of fuel pressure in the system on initial start.
Old 03-01-2018, 12:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Update.. yes I did a full motor drop. Cleaned it up and replaced all of the gaskets that are recommended. Everything was put back together. It appears the problem is the relay. I figured out how to use a wire to jump terminals and the car started. Yes!

Question, I ordered a new relay. Am I able to drive the car with the wire in place until the relay comes in or should I just wait?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2018, 03:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Do not drive the car..only if you need to get it home...the fuel pump will keep running...glad you got it fixed
Old 03-01-2018, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
DKLever48ís thread.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklopez1 View Post
Update.. yes I did a full motor drop. Cleaned it up and replaced all of the gaskets that are recommended. Everything was put back together. It appears the problem is the relay. I figured out how to use a wire to jump terminals and the car started. Yes!

Question, I ordered a new relay. Am I able to drive the car with the wire in place until the relay comes in or should I just wait?

RICK,

Now that you have read and understood how the FP relay and socket work, consider yourself an expert on this subject. See how easy and simple to do a CIS troubleshooting? Good job.

Tony
Old 03-01-2018, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
I would rather be driving

Make sure you don't mix up the two connectors for cold start and the FP relay interrupt on the backside of the airbox.
classicautowerks.com - EFI conversion parts
Old 03-01-2018, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Hello all!

Really looking forward to Werk Reunion this weekend. I ordered a relay and it came in. I tried the new relay and the pump didnít buzz. I took it off and used the small wire and the pump buzzed. I am hoping to get this resolved any input would be really appreciated.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Go back and review DKLever48ís thread.......

Quote:
Hello all!

Really looking forward to Werk Reunion this weekend. I ordered a relay and it came in. I tried the new relay and the pump didnít buzz. I took it off and used the small wire and the pump buzzed. I am hoping to get this resolved any input would be really appreciated.

RICK,

You wonít know the problem until you do the testing. Perform the basic tests and post your test results. Pretty much what you need to know about your FP relay and socket is basically discussed in DKLever48ís post. Use a test light. Keep us posted.

Tony
Old 03-08-2018, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Heck I'm only 5 not 65!

Garage
Rick,

When you jumper out the relay you bypass the air flow sensor switch on the throttle body. what contacts are you jumping?

If it is 87 and 30 and you turn the ignition to start you are supplying voltage thru 87 to 30 to the pump and the pump will run.

if it is 87a and 30 and you turn the ignition to on you are supplying voltage from fuse 16 thru 87a to 30 to the pump and the pump will run.

Put the relay back into the socket turn the ignition to on and lift the throttle plat up in the throttle body does the pump run?

As mentioned earlier you need to proceed with a troubleshoot list to isolate the problem. more than likely you have a connector that was not reconnected when you reinstalled tee engine.

Last edited by targa80; 03-08-2018 at 04:59 AM..
Old 03-08-2018, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage

Old 03-08-2018, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Iím jumping 30/87a. I tried putting the fuse back in and lifting the throttle with the ignition on an nothing happened. Looking at the plug it appears to have better days.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Heck I'm only 5 not 65!

Garage
with ignition on and the jumper on 87a and 30 you are passing voltage from fuse 16 thru 87a and 30 to the fuel pump. If I remember you said the car starts and runs?

In essence you have bypassed the air flow sensor switch located on the throttle body. The Air flow sensor switch provides the ground via the D- contact on the alternator for the Relay to function. use a light and a mirror to check the connector on the switch is connected.

Last edited by targa80; 03-08-2018 at 05:21 AM..
Old 03-08-2018, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage

Old 03-08-2018, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Okay, i might have miss read your instructions. I jumped 30/87a, which caused the pump to buzz when i turned the ignition. I went to the air box and lifted the plate and it made a sound. i took some pictures from behind the motor and everything looks to be connected.
Old 03-08-2018, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Heck I'm only 5 not 65!

Garage
When you raised the throttle plat and heard a buzz was the relay or the jumper in the socket? I'm asking since your last post is unclear.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Hey Pat,

I opened the air-box and raised the throttle plate and I heard it squeal at box. The buzz is coming from the trunk when i turn the ignition on.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Heck I'm only 5 not 65!

Garage
Quote:
Hey Pat,

I opened the air-box and raised the throttle plate and I heard it squeal at box. The buzz is coming from the trunk when i turn the ignition on.
Again i ask is this with the relay in place?

If it is then it is normal, the noise from the frunk is the fuel pump motor. The noise in the engine compartment is the fuel flowing through the system. lifting the throttle plate closes the air flow switch and applies the ground to the fuel pump relay.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: