LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned for Life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69porsche View Post
Valid point...+1
That was the first thing that crossed my mind too. The second was he is rightfully proud of his car and just wanted an excuse to post it. Not that I have ever been guilty of that.

I had my 73S coupe windows out, down to bare metal, all new rubber, done 16 years ago and it was $15,000. It was show quality when done and was done at a reduced labor rate since it was done by a friend (all hours documented). If done by a shop it would have easily been $20K.

Now to be constructive: The OP did not provide enough info as to the overall condition of his paint, if he needs new seals and weather stripping, wants the whole car done or just panels, is looking for a factory delivered paint job, his budget or what. Too little info to give him any meaningful estimate. Please provide your overall goal and specifics on where the rust is, I.e. bottom of door sills, rocker panels, below windshield, etc. pics would be especially helpful.
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 03-01-2018, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

paint jobs seem to be the body shop's bread and butter.
I've had a couple of body shops refuse to work on my car unless I let them repaint it.

I needed a couple of rust spots repaired, and being that I wasn't planning on showing the car but race it, I told them I'll just spray it with a rattle can. They said "See ya!"
Old 03-01-2018, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
'82 SC TL

Garage
This is a loaded question, so many variables . Currently my "82 SC (widebody - all steel factory parts already on vehicle) colour change BACK to original colour from Grand Prix White ( to original Pacific Blue - Glasurit) all glass out, doors off & dis-assembled, fenders off, tail off & dis-assembled, engine & trans. out rolling chassis (interior, suspension, sunroof out, brakes & harness still in place) & like others have said - all new seals misc. trim pieces & a light repair to right rear 1/4 from a bump in rear from a Jetta, currently NO rust on vehicle, PLUS removal of rear side vents & boxed rockers (putting factory 930 rockers) I'll be in the neighbourhood of $35,000.00 PLUS $3,000.00 for all the misc. items incl. seals, door checks & rear tail light houses etc. ...........on & on could be $45,000.00 Canadian dollars , man, I must really like this car, ouch
'89 Anniv. sil/linen very pretty miss her
'88 928S4 5spd. blu/blu cmplt.SS exh.chipped lowered
Old 03-01-2018, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBob View Post
That was the first thing that crossed my mind too. The second was he is rightfully proud of his car and just wanted an excuse to post it. Not that I have ever been guilty of that.

I had my 73S coupe windows out, down to bare metal, all new rubber, done 16 years ago and it was $15,000. It was show quality when done and was done at a reduced labor rate since it was done by a friend (all hours documented). If done by a shop it would have easily been $20K.

Now to be constructive: The OP did not provide enough info as to the overall condition of his paint, if he needs new seals and weather stripping, wants the whole car done or just panels, is looking for a factory delivered paint job, his budget or what. Too little info to give him any meaningful estimate. Please provide your overall goal and specifics on where the rust is, I.e. bottom of door sills, rocker panels, below windshield, etc. pics would be especially helpful.

There is a thread in the 930 forum about my car, I started it 2 years ago and has pics of it from the day I bought it all the way through the completion. It's not the first time I've discussed it or posted pics of it.

I didn't really want to discuss price because the shop that did the work said I got a killer deal, they also said they won't do another at that price.

It looks as good as new if not better and yes I am very happy with it.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo owner View Post
I didn't really want to discuss price because the shop that did the work said I got a killer deal, they also said they won't do another at that price.
Interesting...my shops say the same sh:t...
Old 03-01-2018, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Having non turbo cars, no reason to visit that forum because it’s just more temptation. No need to spend even more money than the heaps I have already dumped into it.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Paint is the cheap part, it's the 200+ hours of labor that crank up the price.
Prep is everything and the price of the paintjob is directly tied to the hours spent on prep. The difference between a $10K paint and a $40K paint is Earl Shiebs vs Concourse. You need to decide where you want to be in it and how long you want it to last before it starts bubbling up or flaking off.
Agree on the points, except the $10k Earl job vs $40k concourse.

How do you figure that? Concourse means the entire car is restored to factory specs. Restoration/concourse and paint jobs are two different things. Meaning, how do you compare the two?
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 03-01-2018, 08:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post

How do you figure that? Concourse means the entire car is restored to factory specs. Restoration/concourse and paint jobs are two different things. Meaning, how do you compare the two?
I would say my gold car has a concourse quality paint job but not a complete restoration. It's in excellent origional condition and I wanted it left that way.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Having non turbo cars, no reason to visit that forum because itís just more temptation. No need to spend even more money than the heaps I have already dumped into it.
I've spent a LOT of money on the gold 79 but I bought my black 88 before prices went crazy, if I average the 2, I'm still in good shape.

I don't see a 3rd at any time in the future, not a current prices.
Old 03-01-2018, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Just went through this. I pulled the entire car apart and crushed glass blasted every part and put high quality ppg epoxy primer on everything. Paintwork was completed by a shop with me supplying paint. $4k-$4500 to paint everything including the body work the shop did to blend the RS flares I butt-welded to the body. I picked it all up and put it back together.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

paint

$13K back in 2007

That was for paint and very minor bodywork alone...........I tore it down to the rolling shell and had it bead blasted and delivered to the paint shop. I also did the final assembly. very straight body, no rust repair required.

From this:

thru this:

to this:
[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669
http://www.x-faktory.com/

Last edited by al lkosmal; 03-01-2018 at 11:05 AM..
Old 03-01-2018, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Pic of course

Old 03-01-2018, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post

a paint job can be done to a concours level, or to an earl level as part of a restoration.

and concours has no "e"...
Old 03-01-2018, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwelle View Post
and concours has no "e"...
Frikkin Tippy.

"Earl" is now the new term for any paint job south of Paterek Bros.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by antares View Post
Single Stage Urethane 1-gallon plus qt $ 300 to $ 650 depending on mfr flavor chosen
Just talking.

Glasurit 22 line is just south of $200 per quart in Ohio. If total repaint/color change, probably six quarts before cutting.

Glasso reducer is pushing $100 per gallon and then the hardener which is probably $125 per quart/liter.

If you are saying up to $650 per quart, your number appears high. But $300 per qt ready to spray is fair.

However, getting out of the paint jobber for under $2k for quality paint is a job well done.

Talking BC/CC I use BASF Limco for old Camrys. I may buy a pint and a half of red for $60. I ask what BASF Diamont costs for same. Just add $100. Huge difference.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Driver, not Mechanic

Get a quote from multiple shops.

Of course, the quotes don't include discovery of rust or a previous bad job.

I vote for Matthews-Carlsen in Palo Alto.
Old 03-01-2018, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canamfan View Post
This is a loaded question, so many variables . Currently my "82 SC (widebody - all steel factory parts already on vehicle) colour change BACK to original colour from Grand Prix White ( to original Pacific Blue - Glasurit) all glass out, doors off & dis-assembled, fenders off, tail off & dis-assembled, engine & trans. out rolling chassis (interior, suspension, sunroof out, brakes & harness still in place) & like others have said - all new seals misc. trim pieces & a light repair to right rear 1/4 from a bump in rear from a Jetta, currently NO rust on vehicle, PLUS removal of rear side vents & boxed rockers (putting factory 930 rockers) I'll be in the neighbourhood of $35,000.00 PLUS $3,000.00 for all the misc. items incl. seals, door checks & rear tail light houses etc. ...........on & on could be $45,000.00 Canadian dollars , man, I must really like this car, ouch
Yep, time and expertise costs. When you go 'past paint' and into component removal, you get into the gray area outside of paint, though connected due to the OCD completeness of it all.

Though only mildly applicable to Porsche repaints, my '67 Jag E type was decently rusty, though completely together, required a blooming disassembly to redo. By the time 'paint' went on the car, I was $36,000 in. And it was NOT yet painted.

So variables abound. Speaking of which...

I just had 6 parts repainted on my 997 GTS: Front spoiler, Rocker panels (x2), Rear stone guards (x2), Rear ducktail. All removed and delivered. None required body work. Porsche place = $1800. Lexus dealer in same town, equally adept = $800.

Keep a clear head, check around, let us know! Best to you,
Porsche 914-6, '70
Audi S4 Avant V8 manual, '05
Old 03-01-2018, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Where did the OP go? No further details on your specific goals?
Old 03-01-2018, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Quote:
Where did the OP go? No further details on your specific goals?
Lurked and fainted. You know, if you have to ask...

Very informative thread. It is rare that actual numbers are quoted.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 03-01-2018, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

70T with lots of small areas of rust (no gapping holes) so many bottom panels ultimately replaced. Front pans, floor pan, parcel shelf and a lot of etc. Body reasonably straight. $40K and not painted yet.
Fixing rust is UFB expensive.
Not for the faint of heart or weak of pocket.
Will never get that $ back. Be warned
Just keep it, drive and enjoy it.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: