Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakrat View Post
paint jobs seem to be the body shop's bread and butter.
I've had a couple of body shops refuse to work on my car unless I let them repaint it.

I needed a couple of rust spots repaired, and being that I wasn't planning on showing the car but race it, I told them I'll just spray it with a rattle can. They said "See ya!"
Not the case and many many good shops won’t even touch a complete paint job. They create a bottleneck that almost no amount of money can bridge
Old 03-02-2018, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)
Spiderman

Garage
Only see a few mention what I consider my experience. That being to just know that a concourse or show quality paint job is nice if you don't drive the car much at all. Since mine gets driven for work and pleasure when the weather decent and on real roads with other cars and at the track, that quality of paint work would be wasted. I went with a local painter who does one car at a time. I did lots of disassembly but he did the heavy or bulky bits. I paid him 5k and I spent another 1k in window rubbers, new windshield, sunroof felts, other flexi bits to make it fresh. Rock nicks, track rubber smudges, spooge from the highway is a constant struggle to control just like before. Mine was a color change, gets lot of positive comments, I love it.
Black 12 VW-GTI, little bit fancy for me but hoping not a mistake.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Not sure if this helps, since it wasn't the entire car, but ever since I bought my car I have been unhappy about the right side door and right side front fender. The previous owner went nuts with a buffer and buffed right through the paint in some areas.

A highly recommended body shop that specializes in imports gave me a quote of $1400 so I pulled the trigger and I am extremely happy with the results. As the previous post says, this is a driver car, and I am not entering it in shows, but those areas where you could see through to the primer really bothered me and now I am happy. $1400 for happiness is a good deal. I also felt good that went I arrived for the estimate, the parking lot was full of Porsches, BMWs, and Mercedes, most of which were way more valuable than my little '88 cab.

By the way, that included quite a bit of disassembly, the parts list included several new trim pieces and other small bits. The only part I did myself was the remove the flag mirror, because I was worried that they would mess up the wiring since its not that simple. He knocked a little off the price for that.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo owner View Post
I would say my gold car has a concourse quality paint job but not a complete restoration. It's in excellent origional condition and I wanted it left that way.
Please tell me that you mean Casablanca Beige Metallic ... not "gold"

I'm not in the Bay area, but as I live in the metropolitan NYC area, maybe this will assist;

I paid about $17K for an engine-out, glass out, down-to-the-metal re-paint including all new rubber/seals/etc.

Before:

Old 03-02-2018, 10:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

That looks fantastic, and that's a crazy deal!
Old 03-02-2018, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
Not the case and many many good shops won’t even touch a complete paint job. They create a bottleneck that almost no amount of money can bridge
Nathan is completely right. I'm here in Chicago - and that's been the theme of the year. My local guy whose family owns a very nice reputable shop who is a die-hard Porsche enthusiast won't even touch my car for paint. He's used to color-matching bumpers, doors, hoods, etc - and getting them done fast and clean (ie mostly insurance work for late models). He did my TT bumper and it looks new. But he won't touch my 911 for a full job - you can tell he just doesn't want the hassle, and when you run an efficient shop the last thing you need is probably an old 911 that needs far more work then you think it does.

I get the same vibe from most of the nicer shops I visit. They politely decline - as in Nathan says - no amount of money is worth it to stop the machine.
Old 03-02-2018, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
But he won't touch my 911 for a full job - you can tell he just doesn't want the hassle, and when you run an efficient shop the last thing you need is probably an old 911 that needs far more work then you think it does.
+1 You have to pay a premium for a comprehensive resto. It IS a bottleneck.

For a door crease on a late model car they will install a new skin. Minimize mud work. Not even a thought of lead work.

Production, although high quality. Not tedious meticulous work. Money is invested in spray systems so hand work post painting is not required, etc, etc.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
Please tell me that you mean Casablanca Beige Metallic ... not "gold"

I'm not in the Bay area, but as I live in the metropolitan NYC area, maybe this will assist;

I paid about $17K for an engine-out, glass out, down-to-the-metal re-paint including all new rubber/seals/etc
Officially yes, Cassablanca beige metallic. Gold is what it looks like and SO much easier to type out on the I-pad.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo owner View Post
Gold is what it looks like and SO much easier to type out on the I-pad.
I love that gold metallic color on yours and LIRS6's car.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
Paint is the cheap part, it's the 200+ hours of labor that crank up the price.
Prep is everything and the price of the paintjob is directly tied to the hours spent on prep. The difference between a $10K paint and a $40K paint is Earl Shiebs vs Concourse. You need to decide where you want to be in it and how long you want it to last before it starts bubbling up or flaking off.
… Or more accurately…. The difference between a $ 4.5 K paint and a $ 40K paint is some one willing to do most of the work themselves or someone willing to let someone else help them spend their money for them and most likely with the same end result … - uncle dave

79 All steel wide body Targa / euro 915 oil cooled LSD / SSI's / RUF 8 & 10's / light flywheel plus other mods and upgrades

Last edited by antares; 03-02-2018 at 10:25 PM..
Old 03-02-2018, 12:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by antares View Post
… Or more accurately…. The difference between a $ 4.5 K paint and a $ 40K paint is some one willing to do most of the work themselves or someone willing to let someone else help them spent their money for them and most likely with the same end result
Oh that's plain old horse puckey.

You are assuming every shop has the same skill set to lay down and hand finish paint and the $35k delta is pulling off rubber seals, windows and re-installing after painting.

I would say the higher end shops that charge 20k plus eat time, lots of it, to have the paint job live up to their reputation.

The 5k jobs that are good - them guys eat time too.

It's shiet/grunt work.

FWIW, OP has not logged on since end of Feb.
Old 03-02-2018, 02:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
I love that gold metallic color on yours and LIRS6's car.
I do as well, it's not a real common color making it kind of unique.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

I just bought my Glasurit paint for $3000. Luckily your paint won't be that much because you can't spray it in CA.
Thought I'd spend another $12000 total but the car needed a lot of metal work after it was down to bare metal. My car looked super straight before we started but underneath it needed over 13k worth of proper metal work. You would be amazed what can happen when you start sanding the paint off. This is why cars with documented history are worth so much, lol.

I'll probably be 20k-23k total for a top quality black paint job that I will take immediately to the track. FML
Old 03-02-2018, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

So like, I'd be well willing to drive a day to save $5k on a comparable paint job...Locations are certainly appreciated. Nevada and Arizona are just around the corner...

It seems like a higher-than-usual percentage of people painting their cars are having it done as a favor or by a friend or some such...What about the regular suckers like me that have to walk in off the street?
Old 03-02-2018, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antares View Post
Let's see for just a quick reality check for materials cost…. If going to bare metal and doing it yourself assuming you have a primer gun and a good spray gun or other wise add $ 600 to the bottom line totals and add about
$ 1,200 for a good used real 5 h.p. 12 to 17 cfm compressor with at least 65 gallon tank if you do not already have one plus add for hobby breathable fresh air supply unit $ 360 plus paint suit and hood $ 150 and $ 24.84 for pain relievers :

Now for the basics:

Sand Paper Stock Pile of all types and sizes @ $ 1.00/sheet …. $ 200
Aircraft paint stripper … $ 100
SPI ( Souther Polyurethanes, Inc ) epoxy primer …. $ 300 for 2 gallons
H.O.K. ( House of Kolor ) urethane high build primer … $ 250 for 1 gallon plus qt
Single Stage Urethane 1-gallon plus qt $ 300 to $ 650 depending on mfr flavor chosen
or
Base Coat/Clear Coat … 2-gallons plut qt $400- $ 800 depending on mfr flavor chosen
Cutting & Buffing Suplies …. $ 200
Tarps and Booth Creation …. $ 250
Painting Jack Stands …. $ 350
Exhaust Fan System/Ventilation/Filtration …. $ 650
Miscellaneous: Rage filler, 3M Top Fairing Putty Cream, …. plus crap n crap ….. $ 450

Guest-a-mat Amount : $ 3k to 4k or so ….. less if your squeaky … more if your leaky - uncle dave
Bought ingersoll rand t30 compressor used for $110. It is 80 gal tank.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Ollie View Post
I just bought my Glasurit paint for $3000. Luckily your paint won't be that much because you can't spray it in CA.
not true.

glasurit makes quite a few products that can be used anywhere in CA. i just had one of my cars painted with 90 line.

there are still quite a few places where you can use 22 line. it's not a statewide deal, if you go county by county, you can find pockets where it's still legal.

now, finding a jobber to mix and sell you the 22 line and a body shop to shoot it? that's a different story. most don't wan't to deal with it anymore because that can't sell enough of it...
1976 911S leaf green backdate 3.2
Old 03-02-2018, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwelle View Post
not true.

glasurit makes quite a few products that can be used anywhere in CA. i just had one of my cars painted with 90 line.

there are still quite a few places where you can use 22 line. it's not a statewide deal, if you go county by county, you can find pockets where it's still legal.

now, finding a jobber to mix and sell you the 22 line and a body shop to shoot it? that's a different story. most don't wan't to deal with it anymore because that can't sell enough of it...
Oh, I was under the impression that shops in California were only able to spray water based products now? Not to say that you can't order anything thru the mail or drive to another state to buy. It would still be effin expensive tho, lol
Old 03-02-2018, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwelle View Post
You are correct, Sir.

San Mateo is a spot I found.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by al lkosmal View Post
$13K back in 2007

That was for paint and very minor bodywork alone...........I tore it down to the rolling shell and had it bead blasted and delivered to the paint shop. I also did the final assembly. very straight body, no rust repair required.

From this:

thru this:

to this:
NICE. Please tell me what Silver is that. Porsche paint code?
2016 BMW 328i
Old 03-02-2018, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, The Republic of California. Land of wine and redwoods.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by megerian View Post
Not sure if this helps, since it wasn't the entire car, but ever since I bought my car I have been unhappy about the right side door and right side front fender. The previous owner went nuts with a buffer and buffed right through the paint in some areas.

A highly recommended body shop that specializes in imports gave me a quote of $1400 so I pulled the trigger and I am extremely happy with the results. As the previous post says, this is a driver car, and I am not entering it in shows, but those areas where you could see through to the primer really bothered me and now I am happy. $1400 for happiness is a good deal. I also felt good that went I arrived for the estimate, the parking lot was full of Porsches, BMWs, and Mercedes, most of which were way more valuable than my little '88 cab.

By the way, that included quite a bit of disassembly, the parts list included several new trim pieces and other small bits. The only part I did myself was the remove the flag mirror, because I was worried that they would mess up the wiring since its not that simple. He knocked a little off the price for that.
What paint did they use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
You are correct, Sir.

San Mateo is a spot I found.
A few years ago I found a hot rod shop in San Diego, Ok actually National City for you locals, that mixed me some Dupont Centari. So shop around if you are going to do your own painting.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
<< See my Garage
Old 03-02-2018, 05:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: