Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokemester View Post
NICE. Please tell me what Silver is that. Porsche paint code?

Although, when I purchased my 71E it was black, the original factory color was Silver Metallic 8080. however, when i had it repainted, I used the later Porsche color called Arctic Silver Metallic. (I don't remember the color code, but a quick search turned up L92U)

At the time, i saw some pix of Bob Tilton's 911 parked next to other early silver 911s and his car/paint just popped, by comparison....so i emailed him to ask what color his 911 is....Arctic Silver.....not being a purist about these matters, I painted mine that color too!
[B]Current projects: 69-911.5, Previous:73 911X (off to SanFrancisco/racing in Germany).77 911S (NY), 71E (France/Corsica), 66-912 ( France), 1970 914X (Wisconsin) 76 911S roller..off to Florida/Germany
RGruppe #669,
http://www.x-faktory.com/

Last edited by al lkosmal; 03-02-2018 at 05:55 PM..
Old 03-02-2018, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
KYUKYU3

Garage
Sorry don't want to hijack this thread but wanted to let you know your comments are great as I too am contemplating a respray in the future. I am doing most of the disassembly as I am on a budget.

My question is I noticed many of you did a windows out paint job. If you are just doing a respray of new glasurit (no color change) do you need to remove the windows or only the seals around the windows?
Old 03-02-2018, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai_k View Post
Sorry don't want to hijack this thread but wanted to let you know your comments are great as I too am contemplating a respray in the future. I am doing most of the disassembly as I am on a budget.

My question is I noticed many of you did a windows out paint job. If you are just doing a respray of new glasurit (no color change) do you need to remove the windows or only the seals around the windows?
If you're gonna bother painting it, its worth it spend a few hundred bucks on the windows. Cut the seals on the front and rear, quarters pop right out and the doors just roll down and pull off the outside scraper. Super easy.
Buy new front/rear seals and scrapers and or felts and pay a auto glass guy a few hundred bucks to put them back in. Any body shop will have a glass guy.

It's money well spend and make for a much better finished product. And as a bonus you can polish all the glass really nice while its out and then goes back in with nice fresh rubber.
Old 03-02-2018, 08:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
KYUKYU3

Garage
Thank you!
Old 03-02-2018, 08:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Garage
I'm in Northern Europe, and currently have my Targa at the paint shop for a full all-out job, including paint on some interior parts, frunk and engine room (both black). I did all the disassemble my self, but the shop has straightened all the fiberglass (a lot of sanding...), as I did all the rough alignment of the fiberglas parts. Total cost will be 7.500$ for a premium paint.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by samurai_k View Post

Every single one of my cars from various years that we have removed glass and rubber for one reason or another, we have found different levels of "decay"

From pealed paint with superficial rust to holes in the metal.

May be an east coast thing.

Worth removing them.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by faverymi View Post
Every single one of my cars from various years that we have removed glass and rubber for one reason or another, we have found different levels of "decay"

From pealed paint with superficial rust to holes in the metal.

May be an east coast thing.

Worth removing them.
hi, I'm in Merrimack valley, looking for a good paint job after door sills are replaced with fresh metal. Any recommendation based on your experience?
Thinking of selling? Unless you have a replacement, DON'T DO IT.)
Old 03-05-2018, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

I'm currently working on backdating my '75.

For me to disassemble, windows out, doors off, bare metal in a new forgiving to paint color (low reflection / no metallic) is $14k in paint and labor.
That includes fitting of the GRP panels and painting the alloy lid.

The guy has painted a few F cars and a Lamborghini Countach in black.
They do insurance as bread and butter and classic restos as well.

If I say yes now, I will be in line for this summer.

My car is pretty rust free and the above doesn't include rust fixes and includes jams but not the interior floors.

I'm getting a second quote before making my mind up, but this is one of the two places recommended by local car restorers. I was impressed by their quoting process too. Came over, made notes about each car panel, took photos and then generated a panel by panel quote.

I'm on the outskirts of Minneapolis.

Last edited by Munky King; 03-05-2018 at 05:16 PM..
Old 03-05-2018, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
KYUKYU3

Garage
Thanks. Again sorry to hijack here... is there a big difference between a strip down to bare metal paint job versus a respray over existing good paint job? I have heard anything between $7.5K to $15K for the latter. Is it more expensive to do a bare metal job? Is there any benefits with that approach versus painting over existing paint that is properly prepped and its imperfections removed/corrected, assuming there is no rust under?

Thanks!
Old 03-05-2018, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Seven days since OP logged in.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
Seven days since OP logged in.
we scared him away - he's at Maaco right now
Old 03-06-2018, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Still, this has been a valuable discussion. Rarely are hard $numbers and personal accounts such as these shared. I'm sure many will benefit from this thread.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage

Last edited by Trackrash; 03-06-2018 at 04:35 PM..
Old 03-06-2018, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRS6 View Post
we scared him away - he's at Maaco right now
Nahhh. He's a long time member here. You don't have to log in to read posts.

Like Trackrash says, good thread.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
Not sure what exactly is what makes paint job cost so astronomic in US (and I know in UK also) but over here it is much cheaper. And I talk about concours quality not your average daily beater crap.
My '67 with huge loads of custom metal work done, bare metal paintwork (every fender etc inside and out), truly professional level of metal work not some bondo crapshoot. Total cost was ~13k euros with paint materials included. Also don't get the prices of Glasurit 22 line, several thousand for those??? Had a calculation made for my Irish Green '67 in local Glasurit dealer with 6 liters of paint+reducers, epoxy primders etc, it all came around 700 euros total but I did not take Glasurit after sample was painted and it was paler and lighter in tone than polished original Irish Green on the car's dash. Ended up with Standox after guy came with spectrometer and measured original tone. Still needed mixing with darker green to achieve desired result.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirs6 View Post
we scared him away - he's at maaco right now :d
lol

Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 03-06-2018, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceboy View Post
Not sure what exactly is what makes paint job cost so astronomic in US (and I know in UK also) but over here it is much cheaper. And I talk about concours quality not your average daily beater crap.
My '67 with huge loads of custom metal work done, bare metal paintwork (every fender etc inside and out), truly professional level of metal work not some bondo crapshoot. Total cost was ~13k euros with paint materials included. Also don't get the prices of Glasurit 22 line, several thousand for those??? Had a calculation made for my Irish Green '67 in local Glasurit dealer with 6 liters of paint+reducers, epoxy primders etc, it all came around 700 euros total but I did not take Glasurit after sample was painted and it was paler and lighter in tone than polished original Irish Green on the car's dash. Ended up with Standox after guy came with spectrometer and measured original tone. Still needed mixing with darker green to achieve desired result.

What is the shop labor rate where you are? With workmans comp, insurance, rent and utilities it's not uncommon to see $100+ here in the US.

Some lone wolf type who does all the work himself in a back yard shop can work for less, especially if he cuts corners.

To do a windows out, all panels removed bare metal repaint is labor intensive, so is metal work.

You can have several hundred man hours in a show quality car plus all the materials, 30k+ is not out of line at today's shop labor rate over here.

Last edited by turbo owner; 03-06-2018 at 01:13 PM..
Old 03-06-2018, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
My car has around 270 hours of work in it. No corners were cut anywhere.

This is a workshop not a lone wolf, he has done many cars before. And yes it is all official, my point is that prices in many places are inflated.
And looking at several "show quality" paint jobs while being in several countries (including US) makes me wonder what is show quality actually
Old 03-06-2018, 12:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceboy View Post
Not sure what exactly is what makes paint job cost so astronomic in US (and I know in UK also) but over here it is much cheaper.
The GDP per capita of the US is about three times larger than that of Estonia. This could explain part of the price difference in a labor-intensive task.

Also, how large would the medical costs be in Estonia if the car painter broke a bone that required a complex surgery?
Old 03-06-2018, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WP0ZZZ View Post
Also, how large would the medical costs be in Estonia if the car painter broke a bone that required a complex surgery?
Now that is a valid observation.

Say $75,000. Employee pays $212 per month and employer pays $917 for medical insurance. Every month, year after year, before and after that broken bone. (Just made the numbers up)
Old 03-06-2018, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by al lkosmal View Post
Although, when I purchased my 71E it was black, the original factory color was Silver Metallic 8080. however, when i had it repainted, I used the later Porsche color called Arctic Silver Metallic. (I don't remember the color code, but a quick search turned up L92U)

At the time, i saw some pix of Bob Tilton's 911 parked next to other early silver 911s and his car/paint just popped, by comparison....so i emailed him to ask what color his 911 is....Arctic Silver.....not being a purist about these matters, I painted mine that color too!
Very cool. Thanks for your detailed explanation. I agree your Silver just pops. I bet pictures don't do it justice.
2016 BMW 328i
Old 03-06-2018, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: