Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I bought my SC repainted and tracked down the records, The cost was close to 20K 2 years prior to my purchase...windows out and new seals. Car was mostly straight but some bodywork thrown in to fix some holes in the deck from a spoiler. I didn't write the check but she looks pretty
Old 03-06-2018, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

That's the way to buy em.
2016 BMW 328i
Old 03-06-2018, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokemester View Post
That's the way to buy em.
Heard, bought it for 25k, Pharma executive....
Old 03-06-2018, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911finally View Post
hi, I'm in Merrimack valley, looking for a good paint job after door sills are replaced with fresh metal. Any recommendation based on your experience?
really depends on your expectations and pocket depth

call me and we can have a beer

617 five nine nine nine six six four
Old 03-06-2018, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WP0ZZZ View Post
The GDP per capita of the US is about three times larger than that of Estonia. This could explain part of the price difference in a labor-intensive task.

Also, how large would the medical costs be in Estonia if the car painter broke a bone that required a complex surgery?
You do realize that we have real universal healthcare system that is considered one of the most efficient in the world?

If he breaks his bone he does not have to pay more than he already does pay from his income each month (and we have single percentage that covers all healthcare sans dental which is optional).
But you may be right, maybe USA's healthcare system may be reason why the prices are so different on labour intensive jobs. US has so high medical costs because system is focused on pumping more money out of taxpayers pocket because that is endless right) and there isn't even a government who would rectify the price inflation..
Much like insurance in UK.. where something mandatory is being delegated to private companies who gain almost monopoly position and no regulations set the limits. Result -> laughable prices and most hostile terms for consumer.. Good example where market logic does not apply.

Just to note, our prices of general goods (food, housing etc) are very much comparable to the ones in US, difference in gas price is just insane (1.3 eur/liter).
I visit USA each year and this year twice so I am pretty familiar with the differences

Last edited by Raceboy; 03-06-2018 at 11:00 PM..
Old 03-06-2018, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceboy View Post
You do realize that we have real universal healthcare system
I was aware of the universal healthcare system, that's why I asked Child mortality figures in Estonia are significantly lower than in the US although life expectancy is a bit lower than US and not yet at the level of western-European countries.

Getting back to paint jobs, since they are very labor-intensive it is not surprising that their price is directly related to wages and other costs for the employer.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WP0ZZZ View Post
I was aware of the universal healthcare system, that's why I asked Child mortality figures in Estonia are significantly lower than in the US although life expectancy is a bit lower than US and not yet at the level of western-European countries.

Getting back to paint jobs, since they are very labor-intensive it is not surprising that their price is directly related to wages and other costs for the employer.
Thank you for reading and being nice

Sadly we had quite a stall due to our aggressive neighboour who introduced their "working methods and ethics" to older generation during the 50year occupation but we are doing our best to catch up.

Over here there are many shops who specialize in restoring classic cars and many of them are from Norway, Sweden etc. Price vs quality ratio with the latter being top notch in most such places allows market logic to apply.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Garage
the paint job on my 81 SC is around 10K, thats with my buddy doing most of the work. the whole car is blown apart everything will be replaced even down to powder coating the pedal assembly and new bushings. striping down to bare metal, POR15 the interior cabin after sanding the rust and scraping off the foam padding on the floor boards. its a lot of work
91 E34 M5
Old 03-07-2018, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Pretty fascinating macroeconomic analysis, on a 911 tech forum no less. A tip of the cap!
Old 03-07-2018, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Cost of paint, supplies, and labor is why a good paint job is so expensive. You are looking at 200 hours minimum to properly strip the exterior, remove the glass, and smooth all surfaces. Multiple coats of primer and paint are applied with treatment in between each coat. How much time is taken directly relates to the quality of the final product. You truly get what you pay for with a paint job. Hourly rates depend on region of the country and shop overhead, so that is also a factor.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

I love the word, 'concourse' thrown around here......

Might want to read the definition of concours
Old 03-07-2018, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RarlyL8 View Post
.....You are looking at 200 hours minimum to properly strip the exterior, remove the glass, and smooth all surfaces. Multiple coats of primer and paint are applied with treatment in between each coat..

200 hours minimum? Wow! Five weeks one person effort or 2.5 weeks for two persons. Equates to $15000 to $20000 in labor/overhead before the car is painted at $75 to $100 per hr. Guess that adds up to $30,000 with paint.

200 hrs - If that’s accurate I’m taking a re-paint off the “to do” list. Albeit it’s near the bottom of priority for my 911 at this time (relative to mechanical/functional needs).

Informative thread with granular details of hours, rates and cost.

74 911 3.2
Old 03-07-2018, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Agree this is one of the most informative threads around repainting our cars. Why a number of us explore the option of doing some of the less skilled grunt work (disassembly/assembly) to trim hours. Leave the painting to the pros. But a tough path to follow. Not for the faint of heart. Need a lot of baggies.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
49willard

Just to provide a different example. I am in the process of restoring my Mercedes 190SL. I did 100% of the disassembly, metal repairs, sandblasting, all body work and full prep for color. I did all of the final color except the outer and upper body, i.e. I took the the underside, wheel wells, engine bay, cabin and inside trunk all into final paint myself. I rolled it into the paint booth all prepped, washed down and masked. He shot the main body color and fully color sanded and multiple stage buff. My paint/body shop materials was about $2500. The painting labor cost was $1200 so I cannot say that I painted the car, only did 100% of the prep which is where the $ are. It was a rottisserie job. From sandblasting to buffed paint was just about a year.

Edit: I cannot seem to insert picture images from my personal photo files on my computer. When I tap on the "mountain picture" the only option is to post from a " http:// " source, not my files. I have posted pix in the past. What am I missing?

1986 Grand Prix White Cabriolet

Last edited by 49willard; 03-07-2018 at 11:32 AM..
Old 03-07-2018, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Is it necessary to remove all of the old paint?
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 03-07-2018, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 Rod View Post
Is it necessary to remove all of the old paint?
I plan on sanding original paint and spraying over. If it's just a driver or track car, no problem if the paint isn't showing any issues of rust below.

Non-galvanized cars are more problematic.

If it's a restoration, needs to be bare metal.
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 03-07-2018, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Who can shed some light on a restoration vs. a “sympathetic” restoration?
Old 03-07-2018, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)

Garage
Bill - instead of clicking on the mountain image to attach a photo, use the attach image link below that, the blue button
Old 03-07-2018, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

49willard

Quote:
Originally Posted by megerian View Post
Bill - instead of clicking on the mountain image to attach a photo, use the attach image link below that, the blue button
I must be really missing something. I do not see on my screen a blue button that is below the mountain image even if I go to "go advanced". I tried to copy and paste what I have for a screen which includes the mountain image but no luck.

1986 Grand Prix White Cabriolet
Old 03-07-2018, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
Chain fence eating turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokemester View Post
Who can shed some light on a restoration vs. a “sympathetic” restoration?
There's a whole thread on the topic of 'restoration'.

Restoration has moved up to the oil and AC ranks...
Cory - turbo'd '87 C3.2 Guards/Blk, 3.4, 7.5:1 CR P & C's, soon to be 993SS cams and GSXR 750 ITB's fed by 964 intake, Borg-Warner S366 turbo @ 1.4 bar, Treadstone full bay IC, TiAL F46 WG, HKS 1 1/2" BOV, twin 044 pumps, MegaSquirt 2 (v3.57 board) w/EDIS, Tramont wheels (285's rr, 225's frt), Big Reds frt, 993 rr., tower brace, MOMO wheel
Old 03-07-2018, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: