Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1994 RHD E31 850 CSi
Old 03-09-2018, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #121 (permalink)
'82 SC TL

Garage
It's surprising to me to see a lot of high end paint work going on bodies with their front fenders still on, to me, I figure if you're going to the length of getting a great paint job, why not just remove the fenders as well, I know, I know....everything costs, but you're pretty much already investing in the expensive beautiful paint work, why not that little extra step of removing the fenders?
'89 Anniv. sil/linen very pretty miss her
'88 928S4 5spd. blu/blu cmplt.SS exh.chipped lowered
Old 03-09-2018, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #122 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antares View Post
Let's see for just a quick reality check for materials cost…. If going to bare metal and doing it yourself assuming you have a primer gun and a good spray gun or other wise add $ 600 to the bottom line totals and add about
$ 1,200 for a good used real 5 h.p. 12 to 17 cfm compressor with at least 65 gallon tank if you do not already have one plus add for hobby breathable fresh air supply unit $ 360 plus paint suit and hood $ 150 and $ 24.84 for pain relievers :

Now for the basics:

Sand Paper Stock Pile of all types and sizes @ $ 1.00/sheet …. $ 200
Aircraft paint stripper … $ 100
SPI ( Souther Polyurethanes, Inc ) epoxy primer …. $ 300 for 2 gallons
H.O.K. ( House of Kolor ) urethane high build primer … $ 250 for 1 gallon plus qt
Single Stage Urethane 1-gallon plus qt $ 300 to $ 650 depending on mfr flavor chosen
or
Base Coat/Clear Coat … 2-gallons plut qt $400- $ 800 depending on mfr flavor chosen
Cutting & Buffing Suplies …. $ 200
Tarps and Booth Creation …. $ 250
Painting Jack Stands …. $ 350
Exhaust Fan System/Ventilation/Filtration …. $ 650
Miscellaneous: Rage filler, 3M Top Fairing Putty Cream, …. plus crap n crap ….. $ 450

Guest-a-mat Amount : $ 3k to 4k or so ….. less if your squeaky … more if your leaky - uncle dave
Why would you mix three different brands?? I always stick with one brand throughout basf or ppg. $450 for body filler and glaze?????? I wouldn't let anyone near my car with that kind of bondo budget!!!! What are painting jacks stands??
Old 03-09-2018, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #123 (permalink)
49willard

Quote:
…. Good deal … and this is what I was talking about back on page 1 & 2 …. of course when you hand off the duties to someone else it gets costly no doubt about it … there is also the fact most of the meritocracy arrives to the shop in a 911 wearing their dockers and asks for a paint job and even if they do all the prep work themselves, the price is the same … high … now take this scenario … show up in jeans and work boots towing a 62 Ford Falcon with the same amount of prep work done to it and see what the price to paint that car will be …. saving a lot cause it's not a 911 …. - uncle dave
The Mercedes is not my first total restoration that I have done myself. If you do a complete car paint , all surfaces including inside and underneath and stay away from super high end paint I think that the total body shop materials and all painting materials will be from $2500-$3000. I did a different vehicle before the Mercedes and the total material costs were about the same. I am not including any $ for tooling/compressors/creating a place to paint in the total, I already have that.
The good news is that my 911 is a mostly original paint car and will stay that way if at possible. I do not intend to do the 911.

1986 Grand Prix White Cabriolet

Last edited by 49willard; 03-09-2018 at 05:23 AM..
Old 03-09-2018, 05:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #124 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by canamfan View Post
It's surprising to me to see a lot of high end paint work going on bodies with their front fenders still on, to me, I figure if you're going to the length of getting a great paint job, why not just remove the fenders as well, I know, I know....everything costs, but you're pretty much already investing in the expensive beautiful paint work, why not that little extra step of removing the fenders?
I had already stone chipped and painted the fenders myself before fitting them . It was the outside paint I wasn’t confident in achieving a high quality finish .
Old 03-09-2018, 05:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #125 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Fenders off cost me an additional $400, but to me was well worth it as it also gave the opportunity to assess and address if any rust issues along the seams, as they are basically channels for rain water to run along the frunk

Jason
Old 03-09-2018, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #126 (permalink)

Garage
You have to get into the fender mounting bolts and loosen them to replace the rubber cowl seals anyway, I'd never paint without pulling the fenders completely off.....

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed"

Silver 1984 M491 Sunroof Coupe
Old 03-09-2018, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #127 (permalink)

This continues to be a very active and extremely informative thread! Thanks for the insights.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #128 (permalink)

Garage
I had a guy tell me to budget six-figures on my little rusted 914/6! Maybe he did not want to deal with me ... and he never had to. However the car is still unpainted!
Old 03-09-2018, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #129 (permalink)
'82 SC TL

Garage
Remember as well, though a little regard to specifics, seal kits (bought as such) WILL save you money & take care of everything, however if only a few pieces required individually (obviously a judgement call) is something to consider when doing an entire vehicle. We're fortunate that pretty much everything IS available for our cars
'89 Anniv. sil/linen very pretty miss her
'88 928S4 5spd. blu/blu cmplt.SS exh.chipped lowered
Old 03-09-2018, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #130 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
We're fortunate that pretty much everything IS available for our cars
Yes they are. And that is something we take for granted. We are lucky.
Old 03-09-2018, 12:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #131 (permalink)
Crotchety Old Bastard

Garage
Quote:
Fenders off cost me an additional $400, but to me was well worth it as it also gave the opportunity to assess and address if any rust issues along the seams, as they are basically channels for rain water to run along the frunk
There is a body seam under the front fenders that runs vertical a few inches back from the door jam where rust is very common. Rust develops from the back side of the panel. I would not paint a car without removing the front fenders and repairing this area.
Old 03-09-2018, 03:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #132 (permalink)

At least everyone who has posted in here as shop options... I can't for the life of me find a reputable body/paint shop in the Tampa area. Everyone I've asked (who I trust) has told me to ship the car out of state and have it done. :/
Old 03-09-2018, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #133 (permalink)

My '74 build 911 is metallic silver and has clear coat (that is peeling badly on the sun focus surfaces).

Looking at my $14k complete car / bare metal quote, 96+ hours of labor at $75 an hour. The rest is paint and supplies. That labor doesn't include dismantling or reassembling windows and trim (I'm doing that) and rust repair is to be added too.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #134 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpmulvan View Post
Why would you mix three different brands?? I always stick with one brand throughout basf or ppg. $450 for body filler and glaze?????? I wouldn't let anyone near my car with that kind of bondo budget!!!! What are painting jacks stands??
… having painted cars since 1968 just thought I would illuminate rather than pontificate … also called fender stands, paint jacks etc they hold the parts at angles you desire for painting and are brought into the booth as needed when needed … Yes you should stick with one brand all the way through that is correct … but as detailed you have choices and epoxy as a base primer coat and HOK's urethane based build primers are accepting to various other eventual top coats that go after … what you don't want to do is change brands after that … and you are more than ignorant if you think SPI and HOK is a bondo budget proposal … but then again I know not everyone is a painter and also have the financial ability to farm out anything that does not fancy them …. no bad - uncle dave

79 All steel wide body Targa / euro 915 oil cooled LSD / SSI's / RUF 8 & 10's / light flywheel plus lots other silly mods n upgrades

Last edited by antares; 03-09-2018 at 08:57 PM..
Old 03-09-2018, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #135 (permalink)

Quote:
… having painted cars since 1968 just thought I would illuminate rather than pontificate … also called fender stands, paint jacks etc they hold the parts at angles you desire for painting and are brought into the booth as needed when needed … Yes you should stick with one brand all the way through that is correct … but as detailed you have choices and epoxy as a base primer coat and HOK's urethane based build primers are accepting to various other eventual top coats that go after … what you don't want to do is change brands after that … and you are more than ignorant if you think SPI and HOK is a bondo budget proposal … but then again I know not everyone is a painter and also have the financial ability to farm out anything that does not fancy them …. no bad - uncle dave
Never heard fender stands called paint jacks sorry. My bondo comment was with regards to your $400 price tag. last time I bought some dolphin glaze and rage it was $120 and I barely used any.
I can't farm out anything I can't afford it. I paid less for my car than some paid for paint. $10,000 to me is like $100,000 to others.
Old 03-10-2018, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #136 (permalink)
Wildman Emeritus

Mine was a bit over $14K with all the incidentals; seals, windscreen and headliner.
Clear bra will be your friend.
2009 Suby Forester Wife's
2000 Boxter - Sold
Old 03-10-2018, 05:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #137 (permalink)

Garage
… Amen to that brother …. - uncle dave

79 All steel wide body Targa / euro 915 oil cooled LSD / SSI's / RUF 8 & 10's / light flywheel plus lots other silly mods n upgrades
Old 03-10-2018, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #138 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: