Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Iím not so sure you donít get benefit at resale when painting a car- any car that needs paint work better be heavily discounted before I buy it, simply because I know itís a big job. Would rather tackle the mechanicals!
Old 02-26-2019, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #161 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanbs View Post
that's because you are using good quality materials. Yeah i figure $2500 total easy for materials all said and done. Realistically how many hours all said and done?
Higher. See picture below. That is JUST for the base primer after the hydo-blasting on my project. (I think is says $800 in total). Adding in TONS of sand paper, grinding wheels (shutz removal), Spies-Hecker high build primer, paint and clear - probably $6k in materials alone.

1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 02-26-2019, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #162 (permalink)

Garage
Mike ... Go out and buy a 20x20 6mil black vis-queen tarp and a gallon of AirCraft stripper, some various sized metal scrapers and take the paint off yourself or skip the acid and just grind it off if you have an area where you can do that .... Now that is where it will suck up the man hours on that $ 7,000 bid for labor to paint ... btw: removing the glass, bright work, etc BS ... is also time consuming and that is why they want you to do it for them and still charge you up the bing for it. IF you want to save some real money, after taking the paint off and neutralizing/cleaning up the metal go order some Southern Urethane Epoxy Primer and if you don't have any means of spraying it own then brush it on. You have to sand it anyways and it will protect the metal surfaces from flash. Any that minor body work you speak of can then be performed. Any small imperfections can be applied right over the epoxy primer as it should be. Just rough the area up again with 180 grit, apply another lightly brushed on layer in the repair area, let it sit for 12 hours and come back and apply your filler of choice be it fiberglass based or polyester based. Now you have a car that only needs to be blocked out and is ready to go for painting. At this point you are now looking at around 10 man hours to prep and finish prime and block then 4 hours for painting .... That's the truth according to the gospel of man the painter .... Edit: Oh btw way there is no way there's $ 6,000 in paint supplies needed to paint our glorified VW's. I spent no more than $ 1,500 to paint my car in paint and BS supply materials just last year and I was once a body man and painter and I didn't use crap supplies either. - uncle dave

79 All steel wide body Targa / euro 915 oil cooled LSD / SSI's / RUF 8 & 10's / light flywheel plus lots other silly mods n upgrades

Last edited by antares; 02-26-2019 at 04:31 PM..
Old 02-26-2019, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #163 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw28210 View Post
Higher. See picture below. That is JUST for the base primer after the hydo-blasting on my project. (I think is says $800 in total). Adding in TONS of sand paper, grinding wheels (shutz removal), Spies-Hecker high build primer, paint and clear - probably $6k in materials alone.

Yikes 6 bills for materials, I didnít spend much more than that for a good running SC with a nice body and recent Glasurit paint!! A few years ago that is...
Old 02-26-2019, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #164 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by G450X View Post
Yikes 6 bills for materials, I didnít spend much more than that for a good running SC with a nice body and recent Glasurit paint!! A few years ago that is...
Yikes is right. And I'll pay you 9k for that SC is you still have it.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #165 (permalink)
Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
Well, I’ve found a guy who loves his work! He said he would do glasurit but said he cannot get it locally. He recommended Standox (another German paint) which he has used many times. Also said it’s owned by DuPont, which is on my older sports car, E.G. Chromabase, and I’m happy with it still after 21 years. This painter swears Standox is a grade above Chromabase (was emphatic it’s better than Chromabase). Thinks paint, sealer and clear is around 2500 pre tax. Thinking i’ll go with This Standox. Does Someone with experience with both paints (Standox and Glasurit) think I should pay the extra for Glasurit? This guy has lots of experience painting with Standox and was all for it.

And the original color is a basecoat clear coat (petrol blue metallic) and I’m sticking with it. Not sure if this affects the thought process much.

Last edited by mike sampsel; 03-02-2019 at 01:27 PM..
Old 03-02-2019, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #166 (permalink)

Turbonut

Garage
Where are you getting those prices??
At local Glasurit dealer a kg of 22 series paint (I asked a quote for Irish Green) was about 100 euros..
'90 944 S2 Cabriolet
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
Old 03-02-2019, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #167 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike sampsel View Post
Well, Iíve found a guy who loves his work! He said he would do glasurit but said he cannot get it locally. He recommended Standox (another German paint) which he has used many times. Also said itís owned by DuPont, which is on my older sports car, E.G. Chromabase, and Iím happy with it still after 21 years. This painter swears Standox is a grade above Chromabase (was emphatic itís better than Chromabase). Thinks paint, sealer and clear is around 2500 pre tax. Thinking iíll go with This Standox. Does Someone with experience with both paints (Standox and Glasurit) think I should pay the extra for Glasurit? This guy has lots of experience painting with Standox and was all for it.

And the original color is a basecoat clear coat (petrol blue metallic) and Iím sticking with it. Not sure if this affects the thought process much.
Standox is great and there will be zero difference between the two.
Old 03-02-2019, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #168 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceboy View Post
At local Glasurit dealer a kg of 22 series paint (I asked a quote for Irish Green) was about 100 euros..
22-line is single stage and much cheaper quality compared to newer paint products that I would consider far superior
Old 03-02-2019, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #169 (permalink)

I used to use a shop in Europe that only used standox.
You might find most high quality European shops are the same .
Good stuff .......
Old 03-02-2019, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #170 (permalink)
Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceboy View Post
Not sure the price I've assessed, here from this forum of knowledge on Glasurit 22, is about 300 a quart ready to shoot. No primer or sealer and with 6 quarts would be about 1800 plus primer sealer on top.

The Standox clear coat alone is $850 he said. The picture he showed me of a camaro he painted showed clear clouds in the reflection. I think the base coat clear coat is a little easier to deal with imperfections than a one step metalic pearl say. Blah blah blah ... says the old retired engineer
Old 03-02-2019, 03:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #171 (permalink)
Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
ian C2 and nathanbs thanks for the input. Your votes, and I think my painter's experiance with Standox, and the inability to get Glasruit locally are my trip points. I'm taking one for the team and going with Standox.

Thanks again

And I will be glad to post numerous picture of the paint job in the August time frame or so, unless I forget ...
hum ... what are we talking about?

Last edited by mike sampsel; 03-02-2019 at 03:26 PM..
Old 03-02-2019, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #172 (permalink)

You are making a good choice mike .

If I had the choice of 2 shops , both equal , I’d go with standox .
As I have in the past .

The guy putting it on , and the guy that inspects his work is all that really matters though .
Old 03-02-2019, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #173 (permalink)
Targa_PB_78_SC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian c2 View Post
You are making a good choice mike .

If I had the choice of 2 shops , both equal , Iíd go with standox .
As I have in the past .

The guy putting it on , and the guy that inspects his work is all that really matters though .
Thanks for your thoughts. Certainly good workmanship is the key. Having seen this guys enthusiasm for this paint is another reason to go with it. Saw his work some today, he is a minimal filler type of guy.

Thanks again
Old 03-02-2019, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #174 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Isn't Stanox water born and Glasurit is enamel based? Not saying that is good or bad, just trying to get up to speed on the moving train of paint technology.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 03-02-2019, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #175 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
Isn't Stanox water born and Glasurit is enamel based? Not saying that is good or bad, just trying to get up to speed on the moving train of paint technology.
Both product lines have both solvent and water base. Nothing wrong with water in any event. Same primers, same clears just different color coat technology
Old 03-02-2019, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #176 (permalink)
Turbonut

Garage
In the end my Irish Green '67 got painted with Standox single stage, it was pretty much the same price as Glasurit 22 series.
Reason for going Standox is what after trying to find exact tone for my car (we polished part of the original paint on the dash) none of them came exact and guy from local Standox dealer came with spectrometer and measured the tone. Result was still a bit off but we made custom formula by mixing and it came out perfect.

'90 944 S2 Cabriolet
http://www.facebook.com/vemsporsche
Old 03-02-2019, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #177 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
I may have posted this already, but Lesanol was a factory supplier in years gone by. Still available, high quality, less than Glasurit.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #178 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: