Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
hi..ST...you can pass a smog in CA if you have catalyst and oxygen sensor connected(even with higher fuel mix) but he is not in CA so the regulation are different in Canada i assume;-)
Also the fuel mix was never adjusted ,that would my 1st thing to go after since ha has check all of the above...
Ivan
Old 03-03-2018, 03:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

car passed smog about 10 years ago....back when it was idling fine. It also had a cat back then.

So I played again with it this morning. I played with the mixture screw. I had the O2 disconnected and tried to see what reading I could get. With the mixture screw all the way in I was getting between 0.3 - 0.8. With the screw where it originally was I was getting around 0.03-0.06. With the screw all the way in it would not idle with the 02 plugged in. With the screw where it is it will idle fine with the O2 plugged in.

In every case putting the jumper in settled the idle right out. Could it be as simple as the ICV even though it passed it's bench tests? Anyone try using an non-bosch one (cheaper kind)?

Last edited by old man neri; 03-03-2018 at 06:27 AM..
Old 03-03-2018, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Old You basically did not adjust the fuel mix in 10 years? Correct? i suggest you you do the adjustment.
Set it around 1.0.... oxy unpluged.....
Are you now talking about mixture screw or idle screw??

here is some reading where the mix screw is located.

Idle and Throttle screw setttings

and here you most likely have this plug still in .If not you just have to adjust it .If the plug is in you have to remove the AFM unit and remove the plug to access the adjusting screw for fuel mix.

Last edited by proporsche; 03-03-2018 at 06:57 AM..
Old 03-03-2018, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proporsche View Post
Hi Old You basically did not adjust the fuel mix in 10 years? Correct? i suggest you you do the adjustment.
Set it around 1.0.... oxy unpluged.....
I have owned the car for 10 years and have never touched it. There was no cap on it so I am assuming a PO has touched it.

How do I set 1.0? 1.0 what? Volts?

Quote:
Are you now talking about mixture screw or idle screw??
I was talking about the mixture screw on the underside of the AFM.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
ok now i know you know which mix screw .To set it you have to go to someone who has the gas analiser .Or you can play with it by listening to your engine .It has to be warm to adjust...oxy sensor disconnected and side plug jumped with your tool-wire.

Ivan
Old 03-03-2018, 06:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Unfortunately I don't have a gas analyser. I played with it and couldn't get a noticeable change by ear.

Just for fun I unplugged the CHT. It just belched out black smoke and didn't really idle. Just coughed. Mean anything?
Old 03-03-2018, 07:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
My car will not start with the CHT unplugged.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
How old are your spark plugs? If they are bad, even one, car will run terrible
Old 03-03-2018, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Motronic really should not change much through the years. Must be something else. Do a complete tune up. That is what I did and car runs so much better . Also I installed correct 02 sensor.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
Old..again if you disconnect the oxy sensor and insert the jump wire on side the idle should change ..Your??
Old 03-03-2018, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Replace spark plug wires! Really!
Old 03-03-2018, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Triesch View Post
How old are your spark plugs? If they are bad, even one, car will run terrible
They are about 30min old.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by proporsche View Post
Old..again if you disconnect the oxy sensor and insert the jump wire on side the idle should change ..Your??
Depending on where the mixture is set disconnecting the O2 sensor does or does not have an effect. Jumping the wire always stabilises the idle out.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Ok..what i would really do..Find a nearby shop where they can check your fuel mix...you did a lot of things and even now you do not know what the mix is..That is very important for the engine running fine...and correct idle

Ivan
Old 03-03-2018, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

That was my conclusion as well. I will either have to wait and then go to a shop or order my own meter. Right now my car doesn't have axles, front suspension, brakes, or seats so it's not going anywhere soon.
Old 03-03-2018, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
it looks like you have something to do when is cold outside;-)

Ivan
Old 03-03-2018, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

+5C, sunny, and no snow here...unfortunately. I usually have tons of stuff to do when it's cold and snowy out.

Back to the question. If I had to buy a tool to check my mixture. Should I get a CO gas analyser (gunson gastester) or get some sort of a air/fuel guage perhaps even a wide band LM-2. I don't know much about these things.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

My fuel pressure tester came in the mail. I tested the fuel pressure engine off, engine running, and vacuum disconnected as per bentley. Exactly on spec.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Search in my previous posts re surging. I had a similar issue and I tensioned the spring on the air flap in the afm. There were quite a few posts about the tracks on the afm being corroded and needing resetting. HTH .
Old 03-08-2018, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhinch View Post
Search in my previous posts re surging. I had a similar issue and I tensioned the spring on the air flap in the afm. There were quite a few posts about the tracks on the afm being corroded and needing resetting. HTH .
AFM track has been 'shifted' over a mil or two.

As for messing with the spring I have read mixed advice over that. I will read more, however.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: