Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Keep it up man! I, like you, went through a lot of cars before purchasing my 86 Carrera and it is a dream come true. I'm looking forward to your updates.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Congratulations and welcome! Keep the updates coming.
Old 03-08-2018, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Nice score. I wouldn’t ditch the sport seats, they are just so perfect for holding you snug while tearing around corners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2018, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I fear that all of those block sanding supplies don't bode well for my request of a rusty patina..
Old 03-08-2018, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911Maverick View Post
Keep it up man! I, like you, went through a lot of cars before purchasing my 86 Carrera and it is a dream come true. I'm looking forward to your updates.
thanks! it's been a long road to start down this long road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow&rusty View Post
Congratulations and welcome! Keep the updates coming.
thanks! i will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSK8r View Post
Nice score. I wouldn’t ditch the sport seats, they are just so perfect for holding you snug while tearing around corners.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i'm planning on keeping them for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjabo View Post
I fear that all of those block sanding supplies don't bode well for my request of a rusty patina..
as cool as it'd be to keep it rough looking and redo the engine and interior, it's just not the look i want. but take consolation that i did have a long talk with Mrs B about the patina look and leaving it as-is externally.

thanks for all the support! very encouraging! i'll be back in the garage this weekend trying to finish paring back the wiring if not before.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
shh-the robot is sleeping

Lots of fun watching this project come along. Keep up the good work. Beer helps when it gets frustrating.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Registered Minimalist

Garage
It's low budget now...

:-D

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 03-08-2018, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by da Vinci Dan View Post
Lots of fun watching this project come along. Keep up the good work. Beer helps when it gets frustrating.
as it happens, i don't drink. this september will mark 40 years of no alcohol. (not on the wagon, rather i'm turning 40. lol)
i turn to my mountain bike or loud music when the car builds make me crazy.
but i can provide beers to anyone that comes to hang out or lend a hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post
It's low budget now...

:-D
yeah, they always start that way...and then my first big purchase is freaking MS3X and ITBs.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Good luck on your project.
My hardest struggle with my project is trying to control my spending on wanting to replace everything that 'looks' like it needs to be replaced.

When I first got the car... I bought all the things I wanted for it... only to have all the 'fun' parts still sitting in their original packaging as I have found more NEEDS than I realized.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Definitely keep those seats... they are way cool and you'll be sorry if you get rid of them.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbalich View Post
as cool as it'd be to keep it rough looking and redo the engine and interior, it's just not the look i want. but take consolation that i did have a long talk with Mrs B about the patina look and leaving it as-is externally.
Not trying to persuade, but just because I didn't really describe my vision very well previously, here is what I envision I might want to try if it was my car. Whereupon I would most likely decide it was yet another stupid idea, and get a decent paint job on the car...

Anyway: I'm not a huge fan of that red color either for what I have in mind, because it would obscure the rust. Lol... So, sanding lightly, I would attempt to take off just the right amount of the red, revealing mostly white, and possibly some primer underneath as may happen. Then I would mist the car with something moist and or tacky, and lightly dust the paint with iron filings, allowing it to sit until the desired rust look was achieved.

As soon as that happened, clear coat over top of it all to lock it in. Damn, that is a super dumb idea, I love it!!!

Old 03-08-2018, 08:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakrat View Post
Good luck on your project.
My hardest struggle with my project is trying to control my spending on wanting to replace everything that 'looks' like it needs to be replaced.

When I first got the car... I bought all the things I wanted for it... only to have all the 'fun' parts still sitting in their original packaging as I have found more NEEDS than I realized.
i've not yet spent any 'non-essential' money. but i'm sure it'll happen. the hardest part is trying to commit to a vision of what it'll be when "finished" so i don't double-spend. more on this later as there's only one real sticking point related to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdeg View Post
Definitely keep those seats... they are way cool and you'll be sorry if you get rid of them.
count on them staying. i've had fixed buckets in the last 3 cars and i'm ready for something comfortable.

Quote:
Not trying to persuade, but just because I didn't really describe my vision very well previously, here is what I envision I might want to try if it was my car. Whereupon I would most likely decide it was yet another stupid idea, and get a decent paint job on the car...

Anyway: I'm not a huge fan of that red color either for what I have in mind, because it would obscure the rust. Lol... So, sanding lightly, I would attempt to take off just the right amount of the red, revealing mostly white, and possibly some primer underneath as may happen. Then I would mist the car with something moist and or tacky, and lightly dust the paint with iron filings, allowing it to sit until the desired rust look was achieved.

As soon as that happened, clear coat over top of it all to lock it in. Damn, that is a super dumb idea, I love it!!!
ok so here's the thing.
there are two looks i'm really digging right now.
(one is much more affordable than the other)

or

if i go wide, i'm probably going fiberglass fenders and quarters and will blend in the quarters. yes, i understand the potential pitfalls. no, i don't much care.
if i stay narrow, the money not spent on widebody parts will buy new bumpers, finish the efi conversion, and pay for the paint supplies.

yes, i'm aware the second car has been lowered a little. i won't quite go that far. MOF, i'll be less inclined to lower my car as much as i have in the past if i can stuff big rubber under big arches. but big arches, big wheels, and big tires = big money.
and i like being married to my wife.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Those are both superbadass.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

both cars look beautiful (I like the second more), but they are too lowed to be comfortable on the street. Too lowed means aggressive looking but con is that you will/might scrape all over the place.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnln View Post
both cars look beautiful (I like the second more), but they are too lowed to be comfortable on the street. Too lowed means aggressive looking but con is that you will/might scrape all over the place.
my daily driver 328i is lower than the white car.
and it's the highest riding car i've owned in years. i'm no stranger to the low life.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

My 911 has a LOT of patina. I just can't bring myself to paint it. It is a new car underneath with anything you can replace being done. I don't worry about it in the garage (4yo son), I don't worry about it on the road etc... I love having nice shiny paint but having a hot rod 911 that I built is pretty cool too.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

My vote is that you stay narrow and spend the money on go-fast goodies

I wouldn't paint the car either, nor clear coat. I would ensure the underside is in good shape and paint that if needed

911E Coupe -70

Carrera 3,2 -84 Sold
Old 03-08-2018, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
i have to say i'm kinda shocked at the responses voting for a 'less polished' finished product.

the pelicans are a curious group for sure. i like it here.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Yeah, it is pretty friendly....

I'm going to have to stop hanging out here so I don't start having fiscally unfeasible thoughts of the 911 kind. Lol
Old 03-08-2018, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

My car I built. Not clear. Just buff and polish. Same look thought

Old 03-08-2018, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: