Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasch View Post
Hey @75 911s what is your lower front valence? I love the look and would like it for my ‘76
RUF Style
Old 01-31-2019, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #441 (permalink)

I think that maroon car is actually from my area.

In related news, it's too damn cold for car projects today.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #442 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscene View Post
I think that maroon car is actually from my area.

In related news, it's too damn cold for car projects today.
I think we actually got into positive temps today. Yesterday we got to zero for about 90 minutes. But it was definitely -8*F both mornings when I got in the truck to go to work.

IG: @doktor_b
Old 01-31-2019, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #443 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
I (with a little assistance from Mrs B) got my butt out to the garage yesterday and did a little work.

I found out just what an art 'roping in a window' was. It took three attempts to get this window pressed in properly....and when I stood back to take these pictures, I realized I needed to install the lower trim piece BEFORE the window gets installed. #weightreduction

Then, since I'd had [some] success with the quarter window, I moved on to the driver's window regulator swap. I've had a set of manual (parallel arm) regulators for a while. The passenger side was already manual, with some wonky power conversion. But the driver's side had been converted properly, so I had to swap the whole regulator assembly. I'd read that you needed to swap the rail/channel that the window sits in and the regulator actually pushes up/down. I was under the impression that it was because of the sliders/rollers being quite different. So I endeavored to swap the rollers from the power setup to the manual reg and then shove it all together.
LOL JK
The other, unbeknownst to me, reason you have to swap the channel is because the power channel is too far forward for the manual reg and when lowering the window, the manual reg just rolls on out the back of the channel. (insert expletive riddled rant here)
I'll get a picture later. But for now, I'm off to the classifieds to find a window rail/channel as I'm far too cheap to spend money on a new one.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #444 (permalink)

Garage
If you want to remove weight, pull those rocker covers and torsion bar covers off your car. Also, there's another thread on here where a guy fabs his own rear window out of plexi; super thin and had dot use some aluminum strips to get it to stay curved right. Looked a bit..... unique, but I'm sure it's way lighter than the rear glass.
Old 02-06-2019, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #445 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
If you want to remove weight, pull those rocker covers and torsion bar covers off your car. Also, there's another thread on here where a guy fabs his own rear window out of plexi; super thin and had dot use some aluminum strips to get it to stay curved right. Looked a bit..... unique, but I'm sure it's way lighter than the rear glass.
The skirts will go when the IBs go and then be replaced with some FG bits. I'm not a fan at all of the no-rocker look. having the oil lines all exposed is almost as upsetting to me as the uneven profile of the bottom of the car from the side. Skirts for life.

I've considered a PC rear windscreen, but IDK if I want to mess with straps breaking up the lines on the car. I have some time before I get to the rear window. We'll see if I change my mind between now and then.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #446 (permalink)
Edward Larsen

Garage
Send a message via MSN to 911flyer Send a message via Skype™ to 911flyer
@chrisbalich - greetings from Sweden and thanks for a very pleasant read. Started last night and just finished this morning.

I my self have gone through what you are doing but it was 14-15 years ago in San Francisco and the build also moved with me to Los Angeles, (Yes, I moved there for the Porsche parts). Since the completion that car moved with me to Sweden and was sold a few years ago. I should also admit that you are a little deeper into your car than I ever was, or atleast sonit seems. I also used help and paid labor... lol! Never the less its a wonderful time when you are finished! Boy dreams become real!

Currently I own a 951 with some mods and improvements but I’m looking into getting another 911 again soon! Yes - a project!

You are making a fantastic thread and the work you do all alone is incredible. Really envious of your spirit and knowledge! Keep it up!

Best wishes from a fellow MTB & Porsche nut!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Old 02-06-2019, 11:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #447 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911flyer View Post
@chrisbalich - greetings from Sweden and thanks for a very pleasant read. Started last night and just finished this morning.

I my self have gone through what you are doing but it was 14-15 years ago in San Francisco and the build also moved with me to Los Angeles, (Yes, I moved there for the Porsche parts). Since the completion that car moved with me to Sweden and was sold a few years ago. I should also admit that you are a little deeper into your car than I ever was, or atleast sonit seems. I also used help and paid labor... lol! Never the less its a wonderful time when you are finished! Boy dreams become real!

Currently I own a 951 with some mods and improvements but I’m looking into getting another 911 again soon! Yes - a project!

You are making a fantastic thread and the work you do all alone is incredible. Really envious of your spirit and knowledge! Keep it up!

Best wishes from a fellow MTB & Porsche nut!

Thank you very much.
I actually just booked a MTB specific vacation for May of this year. So that will eat up some 911 funds, but gotta have some balance.

Old 02-07-2019, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #448 (permalink)
Edward Larsen

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbalich View Post
Thank you very much.

I actually just booked a MTB specific vacation for May of this year. So that will eat up some 911 funds, but gotta have some balance.

If no balance - no party! so I think you need to hand yourself some joyful moments! Grab your bike and hit the trails!!!

Out of curiosity, what do you ride? I I’ve got a whyte t130crs. British build but damn, so competitive and blown away of the build and geometrics of the frame! A blast to say the bare minimum!

Old 02-07-2019, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #449 (permalink)
Edward Larsen

Garage
Also here is my old 911: before

And after:

Weights been pushed: if I recall right: 2120lbs with half tank, driver and original windows!! my weight at that time was about 155lbs. Full kevlar body panels and interior gut out and heavy customized bbs wheels in 18” config.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #450 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
i really like Whyte bikes. That T130 looks super sick. I grew up riding BMX and have only recently gotten back into MTB. I had an Evil Soverign (mk3) for 2017 and then sold it off to fund a 2017 Giant Trance which I promptly dismantled, painted red, and built up using some parts I had and some parts I wanted.

It now sports I9 enduro wheels, an ANVL stem & carbon bars, XT brakes, e13 9-46 cassette, and a Brooks Cambium saddle. It's not the lightest or most expensive, but it's super fun to ride. After the 911 is on the road, I'll likely upgrade the frame to something carbon and upgrade the fork. But the 911 gets the spending monies aside from vacations for the time being.

Looks like you put a ton of work into your 911. I have a long road still to go on mine. But I'll get there eventually.

Old 02-07-2019, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #451 (permalink)

Garage
Dang. You guys have hella sick bikes. I picked up a 2008 Specialized FSR XC about 10 years ago for $400, still ride it. Been through a few shocks and it doesn't have disc brakes (last year before discs), but hey, I still go to downhill days at the local ski hill and hang with the newer bikes. I figure I'm the limiting factor, not the bike, but damn.... sure want to upgrade. Porsche parts are too expensive.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #452 (permalink)

Garage
I demand progress.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #453 (permalink)

Quote:
Dang. You guys have hella sick bikes. I picked up a 2008 Specialized FSR XC about 10 years ago for $400, still ride it. Been through a few shocks and it doesn't have disc brakes (last year before discs), but hey, I still go to downhill days at the local ski hill and hang with the newer bikes. I figure I'm the limiting factor, not the bike, but damn.... sure want to upgrade. Porsche parts are too expensive.
Upgrade to something with discs and you won't believe the difference. Seriously..I couldn't own a bike without hydraulic disks. I have an old Giant that I use for absolutely everything including family rides, going to the shop, commuting, cross country and downhill days. Brakes still so good it could easily throw you over the front, though the shocks have been rebuilt several times, new spokes, new cluster, chain, brackets, etc etc.

Anyway, back to the 911s...
Old 03-07-2019, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #454 (permalink)

Garage
Oh I've ridden stuff w discs, it's pretty incredible, I just don't really need them. If it's dry, I stop fine with normal brakes, but when it's wet, it's night and day difference
Old 03-08-2019, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #455 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
I demand progress.
Soon, my friend. Very soon.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #456 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
I finally got the driver's window regulator sorted. Removing the metal lifter rail from the window was nerve wracking. I made it even worse by refusing to remove the window from the car. I didn't want to remove the frame from the door, so the window would not come out. So I pulled the regulator back out to make room. Then, I used a thin screwdriver to pry the window from the lifter rail. It took some cautious levering and a lot of sweating and holding my breath. Once it came out, I started putting things back together as best they looked they'd work. After a little trial and error and a lot of Lubriplate grease everywhere, I got it all lined up and tightened down. The window works very well and I even put the door panel on. Did I put on the door handles before I put the door panel on? No. No I did not. Brilliant.
I took one picture that came out poorly. It looks just like the passenger side, so I reckon it won't take a lot of imagination to know what it looks like. I'll take some pics this week as the weather continues to warm and I get back out to the garage.

There are a lot of reasons for me to push the car out to the drive, but I still have the rear end way up in the air from pulling the engine and I'm hesitant to drop it back to the ground as I lifted it by the engine. With no engine, I'm very unsure on where to place a jack that will get the height required to get it off the stands safely. I have the car pushed pretty far over to one side of the garage so lifting it from the side will be much more difficult on the driver's side.
Because of this, I'm going to try to make the engine a priority again and get it back together so I can get it back in the car and then get it on the ground. First, I need a ring-compressor. So I'm going to pick one up this week and get the headstuds and P&Cs on the engine.
#ihavenoideawhatimdoing
#sendhelp

Last edited by chrisbalich; 03-10-2019 at 06:07 PM..
Old 03-10-2019, 06:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #457 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
also, I've thrown my hat in the ring for the DIY build thread contest here on Pelican.
So if I make the cut, a vote for my thread could make a huge difference in this build.

Post Your DIY Build - Forum Contest!

Old 03-10-2019, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #458 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
also, I've thrown my hat in the ring for the DIY build thread contest here on Pelican.
So if I make the cut, a vote for my thread could make a huge difference in this build.

You've got my vote, Chris!

https://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1022378-yes-its-another-white-911-build.html
Old 03-10-2019, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #459 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

You aren't a white haired dude paying other people to do everything, so you have my vote.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #460 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: