Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Old 03-08-2018, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

You sir, are an artist!!

That's a beautiful creation!
Old 03-08-2018, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjabo View Post
You sir, are an artist!!

That's a beautiful creation!

Thank you

The green one is now my daughters ride

Here’s both of them

Sorry to thread jack

Last edited by VWLoosenuts; 03-08-2018 at 01:27 PM..
Old 03-08-2018, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
Administrator

Welcome, and congratulations on your 79 SC! It looks like it's going to be a fun project, once you figure out which path to take. My next 911 project will have to be widebody because I just love the proportions so much more!

I'm sure you already know about our technical article database, but just in case you don't, you can check it out here: https://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911tech_articles.htm
Too many Miata's to count.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Great base! My advice to you is to get it driving and legal, and sort out the worst bits from there instead of taking the whole thing apart as a first step...You may find driving it drastically changes your priorities about where to put time and money.

For what it's worth, going widebody is something like $20k with paint. Going with just the fiberglass bumpers and decklid will probably net you a small profit.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Good. I used to have a 3 series too, was lower than that too, and with a front air dam, but didn't scrape as much and ride isn't as harsh as my 911 now. My 911 has after market front bumper below though.
Please post pic after you are done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbalich View Post
my daily driver 328i is lower than the white car.
and it's the highest riding car i've owned in years. i'm no stranger to the low life.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Beautiful

Quote:
Not trying to persuade, but just because I didn't really describe my vision very well previously, here is what I envision I might want to try if it was my car. Whereupon I would most likely decide it was yet another stupid idea, and get a decent paint job on the car...

Anyway: I'm not a huge fan of that red color either for what I have in mind, because it would obscure the rust. Lol... So, sanding lightly, I would attempt to take off just the right amount of the red, revealing mostly white, and possibly some primer underneath as may happen. Then I would mist the car with something moist and or tacky, and lightly dust the paint with iron filings, allowing it to sit until the desired rust look was achieved.

As soon as that happened, clear coat over top of it all to lock it in. Damn, that is a super dumb idea, I love it!!!

Old 03-08-2018, 03:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawksalt964 View Post
ah dang. this here's the guy i got the SC from, everyone. and that handsome fella in the pic obscured by his own shadow is me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric at Pelican Parts View Post
Welcome, and congratulations on your 79 SC! It looks like it's going to be a fun project, once you figure out which path to take. My next 911 project will have to be widebody because I just love the proportions so much more!

I'm sure you already know about our technical article database, but just in case you don't, you can check it out here: https://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911tech_articles.htm
Thank you. i've spent time in there and in your parts catalog as well. i'm sure i have a long lasting relationship developing with both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
Great base! My advice to you is to get it driving and legal, and sort out the worst bits from there instead of taking the whole thing apart as a first step...You may find driving it drastically changes your priorities about where to put time and money.

For what it's worth, going widebody is something like $20k with paint. Going with just the fiberglass bumpers and decklid will probably net you a small profit.
there is no way i'm committing 20k to paint and body unless i replace the entire thing with CF. (and i'm not) this hog will get running once i get the engine bay sorted and the rear shock towers reinforced...and the EFI finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnln View Post
Good. I used to have a 3 series too, was lower than that too, and with a front air dam, but didn't scrape as much and ride isn't as harsh as my 911 now. My 911 has after market front bumper below though.
Please post pic after you are done.
i'll post pics the whole way. my 328 makes occasional appearances on my IG. but it's unloved.

in related news, more packages from zoo friends came in today.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Garage
I was just trying to show off that sweet 4runner in the background
Old 03-09-2018, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Wait. This is a budget build with ER crossmember supports going in? You going to run coil overs? :-) not saying I don't love it, just wondering where the build is headed. BTW those patina'd out bugs are awesome.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 03-09-2018, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWLoosenuts View Post
Thank you

The green one is now my daughters ride

Hereís both of them

Sorry to thread jack
I'm in awe that you were able to create both of these beauties.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
Nice car to start with. The Euro fender lights are so cool to me. I wish my car had them.

I like both the ideas. I too dreamed of the 930 and finally got one a few years ago. But I also like the narrow body cars so I have a 74 that I will be starting on building in a year or so that will look similar to the white car.

I understand wanting the wide body hot rod that scratches the itch for the 930.
I don't know about you, but having a car that looks like a turbo powered beast that only puts down 200hp just doesn't work for me.
So committing to the wide body car is committing to spending a whole lot more money making the power that backs the look.
But that's jus me. I'm insecure like that...

And those seats are terrible. PM me and I'll dispose of them for you.
Old 03-09-2018, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawksalt964 View Post
I was just trying to show off that sweet 4runner in the background
understandable. those 4Runners are future classics for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post
Wait. This is a budget build with ER crossmember supports going in? You going to run coil overs? :-) not saying I don't love it, just wondering where the build is headed. BTW those patina'd out bugs are awesome.
i'm not right now. but if i decide to later on, i don't want to have to yank the motor to reinforce the shock towers. i figure pre-paint is the time to weld bits to the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
Nice car to start with. The Euro fender lights are so cool to me. I wish my car had them.

I like both the ideas. I too dreamed of the 930 and finally got one a few years ago. But I also like the narrow body cars so I have a 74 that I will be starting on building in a year or so that will look similar to the white car.

I understand wanting the wide body hot rod that scratches the itch for the 930.
I don't know about you, but having a car that looks like a turbo powered beast that only puts down 200hp just doesn't work for me.
So committing to the wide body car is committing to spending a whole lot more money making the power that backs the look.
But that's jus me. I'm insecure like that...

And those seats are terrible. PM me and I'll dispose of them for you.
if you mean the fender turn signal repeaters, you can have them. i hate those little jerks and the holes they hang out of.
as for the widebody with 200hp, i understand where you're coming from 100%.
but i plan to drive this car a lot once it's roadworthy. and i figure more fender means more tire means more mechanical grip. and if i go full FG with the body, i'll keep the lbs down and that will help the handling as well. i know i'll just hammer this car if i keep it narrow. but i like to think if i fatten 'er up a bit, i'll leave it at a much less unreasonable ride height.

and good lookin out on the seats. they're just the worst.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Turbo Powered Snow Blower

Garage
^^^ I get it. To get your first Porsche and not build that wide body hot rod you have dreamed of will be impossible.
Just be careful with too much RWB style and too little Porsche Power. You will find yourself featured in this thread.

The boss Sheeper of them all

You've been warned
Old 03-10-2018, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979-930 View Post
^^^ I get it. To get your first Porsche and not build that wide body hot rod you have dreamed of will be impossible.
Just be careful with too much RWB style and too little Porsche Power. You will find yourself featured in this thread.

The boss Sheeper of them all

You've been warned
thank you, my friend. i only perused the first two and last pages of that thread and i'll do my very best to stay out of its context! lol.

i worked on that sad ba$tard in my garage today.
i found some top-echelon wiring, some more rust, got some rusty splinters, and filled my nose with two paper towels worth of black boogies.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

She doesn't look so bad to me! But then you know what kind of nonsense cars I enjoy, lol.. Are the only wire nuts in the headlight buckets?
Old 03-11-2018, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
She doesn't look so bad to me! But then you know what kind of nonsense cars I enjoy, lol.. Are the only wire nuts in the headlight buckets?
Yes.
But the whole power window system was just bare wire ends twisted together and black taped. Including where it pulled power from the ignition switch. Janky doesnít even begin to describe.

DST is in effect and Iím behind schedule.
Time to get to work!
Old 03-11-2018, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
i need some advice.
my plan for today is the remove the entire sunroof cassette. i've removed them from e30 and e36 before, but never a 911.

the question is this. do i need to open the sunroof and grind down the edge first? or can i remove the whole assembly and then prep the edge of the opening? i have a FennLane sunroof delete on the way.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-11-2018, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage
The whole mounting assembly comes out when the rear mounting tabs with the spot welds are detached.
Just cut the mount tabs just above the spot weld or get anal and release about 4 spot welds on each mount tab.

869#
AKA "Gemma"
Old 03-11-2018, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Get a real respirator. Use it. Ask me why in 20 years.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: