Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
scumbag

Garage
Happy belated 4th everyone. Here's how I spent my day.

It sure doesn't look like 8 hours of sandblasting, does it? Well it only took me ~1 hour to plumb a water trap into my compressed air line (and a whole new line) and I was in the garage for 9-9.5 hours yesterday, so fast n loose math shows 8 hours spent sandblasting. I can assure you my back, legs, and hands agree with my math.

I've got 2 more engine tins, the engine mount console, and the engine mount bar yet to blast and I can put that horrid beast away for a while.....until I decide I need to blast the pedal assembly which I've been putting off even removing from the car, let alone disassembling.

I have parts from Clewett arriving today and my most recent Pelican order arriving Monday. I have to decide if I'm going to clean my cam towers myself or take them to the machine shop tomorrow and pay them to clean them. The heads sure look nice, I probably should just bite the bullet, but that's not at all how I've done anything else in this build. Stay tuned.

IG: @doktor_b
Old 07-05-2019, 04:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #581 (permalink)

Garage
I just read through you journey and busted out laughing because I made the exact same valve spring removal tool as you. I have 4 different removal tools and none of them worked so I too took a giant c clamp and cut one end off of another valve spring tool and welded it to the c clamp and viola, instant Porsche valve spring tool. Worked awesome too.

I'd like to know the answer to the X's in the headlight questions also.
Tony
Old 07-05-2019, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #582 (permalink)

Garage
Also wanted to add a bit about the heated parts washer. I have a 40 gallon HF parts washer that I use the simple green commercial liquid that comes in 5 gallon jugs and dilutes with about 25 gallons of water. It's not the green minty smelling stuff but some commercial crap that work good and leaves your hands very clean and baby soft
Anyways, I went to the hardware store and bought a 2500W water heater element and drilled a hole in the side and mounted it. Used clear silicone sealer, wire it to a 220 welder outlet a mounted a 220 light switch on the wall near the washer. It heats that thing up to as hot as you can stand in less than 15 minutes. Now I just need to rig up a thermostat. Anyways the difference in cleaning ability is crazy. No scrubbing necessary. It just melts away.
Better than spending thousands on a heated parts washer for sure.
Tony
Old 07-05-2019, 04:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #583 (permalink)

Garage
H20 and American Straight Edge flags? Are you in my garage? Loving the progress. Keep it up!
Old 07-05-2019, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #584 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoe32067 View Post
I just read through you journey and busted out laughing because I made the exact same valve spring removal tool as you. I have 4 different removal tools and none of them worked so I too took a giant c clamp and cut one end off of another valve spring tool and welded it to the c clamp and viola, instant Porsche valve spring tool. Worked awesome too.

I'd like to know the answer to the X's in the headlight questions also.
Tony
I've got a wee bit of grinding to really perfect my 'custom' spring compressor. The opening is a trifle tight when installing the keepers. Disassembly is cake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtoe32067 View Post
Also wanted to add a bit about the heated parts washer. I have a 40 gallon HF parts washer that I use the simple green commercial liquid that comes in 5 gallon jugs and dilutes with about 25 gallons of water. It's not the green minty smelling stuff but some commercial crap that work good and leaves your hands very clean and baby soft
Anyways, I went to the hardware store and bought a 2500W water heater element and drilled a hole in the side and mounted it. Used clear silicone sealer, wire it to a 220 welder outlet a mounted a 220 light switch on the wall near the washer. It heats that thing up to as hot as you can stand in less than 15 minutes. Now I just need to rig up a thermostat. Anyways the difference in cleaning ability is crazy. No scrubbing necessary. It just melts away.
Better than spending thousands on a heated parts washer for sure.
Tony
Hell yeah! I'm definitely in for DIY solutions. I'll probably take it a step further and look for a used tank/washer and then modify that to maximze my dollars. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by australi_yan View Post
H20 and American Straight Edge flags? Are you in my garage? Loving the progress. Keep it up!
Thanks! We are a rare breed!
I'm doing my best. The recent influx of parts (and raging envy of everyone that is driving their cars) has me motivated to get things done.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #585 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Trying to ride this wave of motivation this week, and I got some stuff done.

Tried to degrease my cam towers

The purple $h!t was too aggressive for my liking, so I took them to the machine shop on Saturday morning. Picked them up Saturday afternoon and wished I'd never even wasted my time with the degreaser.

I've been putting off refurbishing my pedal cluster since my last big Pelican order so yesterday was the day to quit being a little bish and be a man about it.

yaargh, trouble ahead...

Let's see how bad it really is, so I test-fit the new bushing. No bueno, senor.

Knowing that would last about to the end of my road, I had to decide if I was a baller who just buys new parts or a fixer who fixes what he can.

result!

I did some more sandblasting yesterday and I'm down to 3 pieces left to blast. The engine mount console, the engine mount bar, and the enormous engine tin that may not even fit inside my blast cab.

I also need to paint the tins and valve covers that are clean and get the cylinder cooling tins installed before (if) my cams arrive and I'm eager to finish the long block.

Who has an opinion (based on experience, preferably) on installing the heads, then towers, then cams (like Wayne's book) vs towers on heads, then together as an assembly, then cams?

Old 07-08-2019, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #586 (permalink)

Garage
I assembled my SC motor a la Wayne, worked great, did need to loosen things a bit to get one of the cams in IIRC.

My throttle link neded that same ovaling welded, drilled, filed down.

Parallel universe: when I started my engine parts prep, I took my pile of everything that would need blasting to a neighbor with a blast cabinet... Quite a nice one, too. He asked how long I thought I'd need to be in his garage blasting to get everything done. "Dunno, 2-3 hours?" I replied? Haha! He laughed at me. I was there 2-3 hours..... for maybe 5 days.
Old 07-08-2019, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #587 (permalink)

dude, great work on that pedal cluster. before/after pictures like that are gold.
Old 07-08-2019, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #588 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
I assembled my SC motor a la Wayne, worked great, did need to loosen things a bit to get one of the cams in IIRC.

My throttle link neded that same ovaling welded, drilled, filed down.

Parallel universe: when I started my engine parts prep, I took my pile of everything that would need blasting to a neighbor with a blast cabinet... Quite a nice one, too. He asked how long I thought I'd need to be in his garage blasting to get everything done. "Dunno, 2-3 hours?" I replied? Haha! He laughed at me. I was there 2-3 hours..... for maybe 5 days.
good to know.
it looked like a common mode of failure.
For real. I wish I only had 15 hours of blasting clocked on this project. I reckon a pro blaster would have made short work of most of what I've done, but right now I'm less than $70 into blasting and that's mostly media. So I'm still money ahead...I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscene View Post
dude, great work on that pedal cluster. before/after pictures like that are gold.
Thanks! I had read about the process and was led to believe it was going to be very complicated. It was not. I spent the most time blasting, painting, and waiting for said paint to dry on the assembly base. Even grinding out the weld with the world's smallest Dremel stone wasn't terrible. I did play hell getting the assembly out of the car. In hindsight, the solution is to buy a new clutch spring (which I did) and cut the old one. Then it's super easy to get to everything.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #589 (permalink)

progress is looking good homie! love your repair on that pedal cluster.
Old 07-09-2019, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #590 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
1 step forward, fall down the stairs.

tiny crack in the primer...

picked at the edge to see how bad it was...

Turns out I did a fine job laying down the primer. There was some dodgy bondo under it that I didn't even know about. There was no crack when I sprayed this hog last summer. The quarter doesn't have any obvious damage when you feel it from the inside, so IDK WTF is even going on here. But that bondo is close to 1/16" thick. It's not an inconsequential amount. I'm so angry right now, I'm giving serious consideration to chopping the whole damned quarter off and sticking a FG turbo quarter on there. It could be blended in at a later date if I decide I need a nice car instead of a fun car.

#notstoked

Old 07-09-2019, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #591 (permalink)

Garage
Take a breath amigo. Everything will be OK.
Old 07-10-2019, 04:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #592 (permalink)

Garage
Chris, all good, grind it down and re-feather and apply primer. The benefit of your setup is you can always touchup, blend in then DRIVE! Trust me I know... My Flat white is a godsend when I need to fix/blend... :-)
1976 911S + 2006 911 4S + 2009 Cayenne GTS
Old 07-10-2019, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #593 (permalink)

Garage
Meh, that's not so bad. Car is in primer. Get flappy disc, crack a beer, and cause some carnage. After all the **** you did on the roof of this thing, this should take you about 1 hour to fix. :P

But yeah, reskim, sand smooth, another layer of primer. This is a good thing, imagine how pissed you'd be if you found this after you sprayed the car!

Also, you're making awesome progress man. Between my house, my boat, working on my garage, building a woodshop, I have had like no time for my 911.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #594 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by addvanced View Post
meh, that's not so bad. Car is in primer. Get flappy disc, crack a beer, and cause some carnage. After all the **** you did on the roof of this thing, this should take you about 1 hour to fix.

but yeah, reskim, sand smooth, another layer of primer. This is a good thing, imagine how pissed you'd be if you found this after you sprayed the car!
x 2!!
Old 07-10-2019, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #595 (permalink)

THAT.SUCKS.

But like everyone else said...glad it's now and not with paint. You know I'm a fan of this thing going widebody. maybe its a sign?
Old 07-11-2019, 12:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #596 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffries View Post
Take a breath amigo. Everything will be OK.
I've ridden my MTB the last two days after work and only seen the 911 in passing.
I'm less angry now, but you're right. I'll figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasch View Post
Chris, all good, grind it down and re-feather and apply primer. The benefit of your setup is you can always touchup, blend in then DRIVE! Trust me I know... My Flat white is a godsend when I need to fix/blend... :-)
Bryan, you're 100% right. The epoxy primer was the right choice even if I wasn't thinking about that over the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDvanced View Post
Meh, that's not so bad. Car is in primer. Get flappy disc, crack a beer, and cause some carnage. After all the **** you did on the roof of this thing, this should take you about 1 hour to fix. :P

But yeah, reskim, sand smooth, another layer of primer. This is a good thing, imagine how pissed you'd be if you found this after you sprayed the car!

Also, you're making awesome progress man. Between my house, my boat, working on my garage, building a woodshop, I have had like no time for my 911.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
x 2!!
Flappy discs indeed. I'll get on it again soon. You guys know I'll post my results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDKLOL View Post
THAT.SUCKS.

But like everyone else said...glad it's now and not with paint. You know I'm a fan of this thing going widebody. maybe its a sign?
Ya know, Will...I thought the same thing. Stay tuned to see what I do.
*Spoiler alert*
I'll just bodge together the quarter until/after I drive it and make a decision later. The plan/goal for the body has never been settled, and at this point never been more unsettled.

Thanks for the support, team. It helps more than you know.

Old 07-11-2019, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #597 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Hey squad. I have a question.

Several weeks ago, I ordered the GSF pulley kit directly from their website. The PayPal link sends your money to a bad email address, so the transaction never goes through. I emailed Albert and the other email address to no avail. I waited a week or so and then I cancelled the payment and ordered the same kit through the GSF eBay store. I've still never gotten an email back and my purchase has been sitting for over a week with nothing more than the auto-confirmation from eBay. Is this how GSF usually does business? I've had it with retailers who are just negligent with communication. I try to use the small businesses for EVERYTHING and they are increasingly pushing me toward bigger companies. It's a $200 jump for the Clewett crank pulley kit. ($100 more for the kit and then I have to buy a $100 VR sensor or $150 Hall sensor as what I have will no longer work) My money tree is akin to the Charlie Brown Xmas Tree, so saving $200 is a big darn deal.

I'm going out of town this weekend. If I don't hear something in the next week, I'm going to lambaste them on eBay and cancel my order and just order the Clewett stuff. This car has been more frustration than not the last 4 months.

And my cams still have not returned...or even shipped.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #598 (permalink)

Garage
Unfortunately I can probably guess who you are waiting on for cams....
Old 07-16-2019, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #599 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny042 View Post
Unfortunately I can probably guess who you are waiting on for cams....
It's only been 3 months.
I sent a rather terse email last night and after 3 months got a reply. Once/If I ever get them back, I'll make a final decision on whether or not to air my grievances here for all to see.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #600 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: