Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Eng-o-neer

I never even thought about venting...It seems like it would be pretty straightforward to route a tube to the fender via the same route as electrical wiring. How big does it need to be?
Old 04-03-2018, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
I never even thought about venting...It seems like it would be pretty straightforward to route a tube to the fender via the same route as electrical wiring. How big does it need to be?
fuel tank vents aren't very large at all. maybe 5-6mm ID.
i'm doing my best to make everything as tidy as i can. no wires/hoses/etc all over all nimbly-pimbly. so if i can do this without a vent, i will delete the nipple on the tank. if i need the vent, i'm going to keep the nipple and vent from there. thus i'm asking before i modify the tank as i don't want to pull/drain/cut/weld/grind/sand/paint/replumb/refill twice.

IG: @doktor_b
Old 04-03-2018, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
My gas cap had a small, one mm, hole in it. Worked fine as a vent.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage
Old 04-03-2018, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
My gas cap had a small, one mm, hole in it. Worked fine as a vent.
but would you use that in the trunk where fuel vapor would eventually get into the cabin? or into whatever you put in your trunk? (like clothes or groceries)

Old 04-03-2018, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
low budgets get blown out when you remove the valve covers and broken bolts fall out. Have you looked at the motor much yet?
I was installing my coil on plugs for my ITB/EFI swap when I noticed something in the way of my spark plug socket. It turned out to be the top half of a broken head stud. Found a handful of others broken too. Had to do a full rebuild which was NOT in the original budget. :/
you can EASILY spend $6k - $10k on rebuilding one of these engines.
I hope you don't have such a setback my friend. Godspeed.

P.s. H2O was one of my first shows back in the 90's! couldn't cut it as x edge but still have lots of friends that have managed to maintain. Always respect them for that too.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampadori View Post
low budgets get blown out when you remove the valve covers and broken bolts fall out. Have you looked at the motor much yet?
I was installing my coil on plugs for my ITB/EFI swap when I noticed something in the way of my spark plug socket. It turned out to be the top half of a broken head stud. Found a handful of others broken too. Had to do a full rebuild which was NOT in the original budget. :/
you can EASILY spend $6k - $10k on rebuilding one of these engines.
I hope you don't have such a setback my friend. Godspeed.

P.s. H2O was one of my first shows back in the 90's! couldn't cut it as x edge but still have lots of friends that have managed to maintain. Always respect them for that too.
Shaun,

i haven't yet pulled the valve covers. i have new gaskets and hardware and valve lash feeler for when the time comes. i know i'm rolling the dice, but i'm going to pull the valve covers before i put the EFI on. so i'll know how bad it is before too long. with how lucky i've been with the body, i'm about due for a little heartbreak. rest assured i'll be posting the results when the covers come off.

and hell yeah! HxC for life. H2O is super good live. i've been edge for 25 years and vegetarian for 22. no going back now on either. MOF, my wife lists breaking edge up there with marital cardinal sins like cheating. she's afraid of the monster that intoxicated Chris may be. (never drank or did drugs, so it's speculation) it's been a great community to grow up with and has helped mold me into who i am now.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)
Under the radar

Location: Sebastopol, the land of wine and redwoods in The Republic of California.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisbalich View Post
but would you use that in the trunk where fuel vapor would eventually get into the cabin? or into whatever you put in your trunk? (like clothes or groceries)
Only if the cap was outside the trunk. My thinking was the center mounted fill would be outside. Maybe I was unclear as to how the filler would be installed.
#56 PCA Redwood Region, GGR, NASA, Speed SF
Trackrash's Garage :: My Garage

Last edited by Trackrash; 04-03-2018 at 12:33 PM..
Old 04-03-2018, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackrash View Post
Only if the cap was outside the trunk. My thinking was the center mounted fill would be outside.
understood. i'm not sold on the through-hood filler cap. it's a nice touch, but idk.
i like the simplification of the underhood filler. no long fill neck. no hole in the fender. no hole in the hood. microscopic weight savings. in my mind, simpler is almost always better. (ITBs notwithstanding)

Old 04-03-2018, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
I like the idea of the hidden fill too. Hmmm car is in paint currently..wouldn't be that hard to delete the filler cap. :-)

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 04-03-2018, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Kamran Send a message via Yahoo to Kamran
Cant wait to see it after paint, I'm still trying to fix the rust in my 69... :/ Im guessing you went with the standard SC body look because i didn't see any fenders pictured... going to be a beautiful car!!!!
Old 04-03-2018, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post
I like the idea of the hidden fill too. Hmmm car is in paint currently..wouldn't be that hard to delete the filler cap. :-)
I found a solid deal on one. Iíll message you the details.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamran View Post
Cant wait to see it after paint, I'm still trying to fix the rust in my 69... :/ Im guessing you went with the standard SC body look because i didn't see any fenders pictured... going to be a beautiful car!!!!
Mine will be standard SC body for a while. Itíll also likely spend a year or three in epoxy primer while I sort it all out and make decisions.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

scumbag

Garage
spent a few more hours last night working on getting the Fenn Lane panel to fit the roof.
i hate body work so hard. totally why my M3 had bolt-on over-fenders. just chop out the old, rivet on the new, and go. easy. i've already got twice as much time in just the roof of the 911 than i did in the entire widebody conversion of my M3.
gotta stop by Harbor Freight omw home tonight to grab some big magnets and then i'm hoping i'll be able to get the panel fit finalized tonight and glue it tomorrow night.
#fingerscrossed
#maytheForcebewithme

Old 04-05-2018, 04:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)

I'm late to this thread, but once I saw the car and the H2O banner I knew this would be good. Excellent work so far! Keep it up!
Old 04-05-2018, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)

Garage
If you go back to white, you might want to consider keeping the rims as is......makes for a nice contrast. I built this many years ago, wish I still had her It was a '78sc with a '85 3.2, set up for track duty.

'77 Yamaha RD 400
Old 04-05-2018, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscene View Post
I'm late to this thread, but once I saw the car and the H2O banner I knew this would be good. Excellent work so far! Keep it up!
you should see the American Straight Edge banner on the facing wall. i'll try to live up to the hype. my only caveat is that i build drivers, not show cars. this car will be built in my garage and it will retain most of the flaws, just like i keep all my scars.
#DFYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Club Sport View Post
If you go back to white, you might want to consider keeping the rims as is......makes for a nice contrast. I built this many years ago, wish I still had her It was a '78sc with a '85 3.2, set up for track duty.

thanks for the pic! i actually have given very little thought to the future of the Fuchs. i have a set of CCW Classics (race) in the basement that need refurbishment that were originally destined for this car. but wheels are so far down the line, i'm just not going to worry about them until after i can drive it out of the garage.

in other news, i had a friend (with a lot more body work experience) come over last night and look at the sunroof delete. he thinks it'll be fine how it is and is planning to come over saturday and help me get it glued in. i'll probably be up early saturday tinkering with the fit before he comes over. i realize a lot of shaping can be done with a grinder, sanding, and (FML) filler. but i'm doing my best to minimize the use of filler on this project.

my feedback so far on the Fenn Lane panel is that a spot-welder would certainly be the easiest way to permanently affix the panel. my current setup of tension rods pushing up and magnets pushing down (to 'clamp' the flange to the roof) is alchemy at very minimum...and will get the bump to sorcery if it comes out ok.

I AM NOT A BODY GUY.

pics of the 5hit5how.

i wasn't happy with the pressure at the flange, so i decided to push down as well as up.

also this

Old 04-06-2018, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Nothing to offer but moral support and well wishes. Came over from the bimmer world to lurk as your journey is worth the read, (or as Miley says "It's the climb"!....a 52 year old just shouldn't know MC lyrics so keep that between us.).

I will be here to the end and whatever you end up with will be awesome as it has your heart and soul, and blood and checkbook in it!!!

Great progress thus far!
Old 04-06-2018, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
scumbag

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brchapm View Post
Nothing to offer but moral support and well wishes. Came over from the bimmer world to lurk as your journey is worth the read, (or as Miley says "It's the climb"!....a 52 year old just shouldn't know MC lyrics so keep that between us.).

I will be here to the end and whatever you end up with will be awesome as it has your heart and soul, and blood and checkbook in it!!!

Great progress thus far!
thank you. and no judgement on musical choices ever...unless ska music. ska alone is inexcusable.

so i went and made my questionable decision making permanent.
from further than 3', the roof looks pretty darn good. from 3' and closer, you see that i have some work cut out for me to make this patch invisible.

here's some detail shots.

rear seam from right side

and from the left

i'm super stoked on the rear seam. it should be 'easy' to blend in with a smidge of filler and minimal shaping.

the rest will require a bit more finesse to get right.

here's the left side seam from front.

front seam from left

front seam from right

right seam from front

right seam from rear

as you can see, that front right corner was the least cooperative seam. i'm going to trim out the pushed out panel bond from the front seam so the filler sits right on metal and has the best bond it can. and then clean everything again and do a little block sanding to see just how far out of shape i am. i think it's pretty close, but i'm still not a body guy.

Old 04-08-2018, 12:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)
Science is not optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75 911s View Post
I have been looking at doing this for a while too. Wonder what the options are. Not through Hood. And, yes, don't really want to trap any gas fumes in the frunk. Need 2 vent to outside the car if a vent is needed.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)
Registered Minimalist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbogh901 View Post
I have been looking at doing this for a while too. Wonder what the options are. Not through Hood. And, yes, don't really want to trap any gas fumes in the frunk. Need 2 vent to outside the car if a vent is needed.
Was thinking a bit more about this. I think cap off the fill neck of the tank itself, and use any of the after market conversions for below the hood fill. There's one that replaces the fuel level sender with a fill neck, and another that welds in. I would leave the expansion tank as is. On the fill tube, place a small vent line that vents to near the expansion tank.

Chris,

The sunroof fill looks great man! I think you'll find that you did pretty darn good, all things considered.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/878569-born-75-me-my-new-911s.html
Old 04-08-2018, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: