Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question for NYC Car Owners

There's a chance my career may take me to NYC. What's the car situation? I'd like to bring the 911 with me and have it available for weekends/trips. Should I expect to store it at some third-party garage? (how much is that per month? I'm sure it varies depending on climate-control). Are there any neighborhoods where a property may come with an attached garage/space for a single car (that isn't moved regularly). Do people keep their toys in NJ or something to save?

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Do you need to live in the City. I work in Midtown and live in Westchester county. 40mins comminuted. Keep one car at home and another in a neighbor garage ($150 per month heated). City garage that you would want to keep you P-car in would likely run $350-$500 per month.
Old 03-06-2018, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSpool87 View Post
City garage that you would want to keep you P-car in would likely run $350-$500 per month.
... and possibly get scraped etc ... AMHIK
Old 03-06-2018, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Live in NYC

I live in Manhattan. For years I parked in a garage . Price varies by neighborhood. When I left I was paying $475pm. I left because i got half a garage in queens. When they would do periodic increases they would always try to charge me a premium, but i always argued that a 911 was basically a Posh VW and the manager who was a Mopar guy would let it slide

Had my ups and downs parking. There were two or three Porsches in my garage. Mine was the oldest. Funny story. I was in there putting the car cover one day and this guy starts helping me and telling me he loves the car, i think he looks familiar. It was Michael Kelly the guy who plays Doug Stamper in House of Cards, nice guy.

Now I park in Queens. It's a 45 min ride on the F out there, but its practically free. Certainly by NYC standards.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
It's a 914 ...

Depending on your intended usage for the Porsche is, consider parking outside Manhattan or even outside the city. As mentioned, parking in Manhattan is expensive. Iíve lived near but not in NYC all my adult life, and always find it a pain to drive in the city. Personally Iím happy enjoying my Porsche elsewhere.

Scott
Old 03-06-2018, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Undocumented User

Garage
You're going to park the SL on the street?
Old 03-06-2018, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm putting the cart ahead of the horse here (kind of like our cars) since this is still pretty tenuous.

However, since I won't be driving it frequently, I would be comfortable to park it in the outer boroughs (e.g., Queens).

I want to meet Doug Stamper!

The SL won't likely make the cut. May either sell it or keep it at the family house in Miami (it's probably not worth $3k, but it shines up really well and I have a soft spot for it. Great commuter car that still gets thumbs-up's. Handles like a boat and I kinda like it).
Old 03-06-2018, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
I say come to NYC for the professional opportunities, culture and other great experiences. Its already insanely expensive so unless your checkbook is boundless get settled in first and see what you like/want and how/if having a 911 here would work for you. I'm fortunate to own a coop with a garage spot but didn't get a 911 until I bought a weekend house.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I've been just north of NYC all my life and go in all the time. Keeping a car there is a big luxury...big. I'd be shopping apartments before looking for parking...you may be in for a sticker shock right there! Make parking in a garage part of the deal if you can. Stand by for those prices!

There are opportunities to park in classic car garages all over Westchester, where your baby will be kept in a climate controlled garage on a tender and looked after. These run $300-500 per month.

Good luck. NYC is a cool place, but you pay big to live there.
(I don't list the cars I've sold, because they're gone)
Old 03-07-2018, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I was on the upper east, paying $500 a month to park in my building. Now I'm in washington heights, paying $265. At least it feels like a bargain. I don't think I could park it in Queens or jersey; just too far afield. You own the car to drive it. Would you want to tack 2 hours of commuting time on every drive? What's that time and hassle worth?

It's a luxury to park your car in nyc, but it's a luxury to own a Porsche. Prioritize and budget accordingly.

And good luck with the job!

bryteside.com - good things happen.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
I pay $300/month for a private 1 car garage in Brooklyn. You can find private garages for rent in the back of private homes in Brooklyn and Queens - search on Craigslist. If you want to work on your car, I believe most commercial garages do not allow you to do that - something to consider.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Eng-o-neer

Garages are about $400/mo, and they move the cars around to fit as many as possible. You call ahead and they free it before you come. Battery tenders are a luxury. Sometimes you can rent someone's parking space for similar money and have a dedicated spot (such as a loft in Williamsburg).

Keeping your car outside the city sucks. You take a train to your car and that takes an hour from your door, and then you drive. Traffic in NYC sucks from 11a to 7p most days. Having a car in NYC is a pain, and letting your 911 sit sucks. If I were moving back to NYC and couldn't find a place with a garage, I would leave my car behind and let someone trusted drive it every month (or sell it if it was a common example).

Living in NYC for a few years will expand your life, perspective, and future. It's worth the fight, because the fight makes it what it is.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I live in Queens it is a 20 minute ride on the railroad to midtown. Depending on the area you can get a nice house with a garage for somewhat less than living in Manhattan. My neighborhood is quiet and safe with very good schools. If I was in your position I would live in an outer borough and find a place with a garage
Old 03-07-2018, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
Garages are about $400/mo, and they move the cars around to fit as many as possible. You call ahead and they free it before you come. Battery tenders are a luxury.
A few bucks to the manager typically gets you a dedicated spot. A bit of camaraderie generally has him look the other way on your tender. I have parked and locked at all three garages I've used over the last 17 years of p-car ownership in nyc. Cost a bit more for the first two, but this one is pretty lenient/friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremelune View Post
Living in NYC for a few years will expand your life, perspective, and future. It's worth the fight, because the fight makes it what it is.
Agreed.

bryteside.com - good things happen.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Map out the New Haven line heading NE out of Penn. station and your tolerance for time on a train, then look for homeowners willing to house your car for cheap (look & advertise using the local papers, not, say Stamford Advocate). Your garage becomes the terminal (Penn.) and the cost is far cheaper. Radical, yes, but it works.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
Map out the New Haven line heading NE out of Penn. station and your tolerance for time on a train, then look for homeowners willing to house your car for cheap (look & advertise using the local papers, not, say Stamford Advocate). Your garage becomes the terminal (Penn.) and the cost is far cheaper. Radical, yes, but it works.
Grand Central Station for New Haven line. Sorry to nit pick but could be meaningful depending on OPs final neighborhood.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSpool87 View Post
Do you need to live in the City. I work in Midtown and live in Westchester county. 40mins comminuted. Keep one car at home and another in a neighbor garage ($150 per month heated). City garage that you would want to keep you P-car in would likely run $350-$500 per month.
I think I've seen your car at Cheech's. Where's that $150/month garage--I'm running out of space!
Old 03-08-2018, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Being a 911; Gerry Seinfeld may have some space for you in his garage. He bought a complete brownstone and turned it into a Porsche parking garage for his own cars.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Last summer I went on Spothero and found parking in the west 70s for $350 a month for my R107. There are deals out there to be found.

Parking your car in Queens? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having a car in the first place, if you have to take public transportation to get it?

Years ago before I started Club Racing I went down to Summit for a DE. . . one of the exercises was to thread the needle between tightly-spaced cones without hitting them. This I accomplished at high speed on the first try, to the surprise of my instructor, who asked how I was able to acquire this fairly uncommon skill.

"Driving in NYC."

Good luck! Keep your head on a swivel at all times-- better a stiff neck. . . than a broken one.
'66 911 #304065 Irischgruen
Ex-'71 911 PCA C-Stock Club Racer #806 (Sold 5/15/13)
Ex-'88 Carrera (Sold 3/29/02)
Ex-'91 Carrera 2 Cabriolet (Sold 8/20/04)
Old 03-09-2018, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Deluxe Car Storage

ni$e facility

https://www.deluxecarstorage.com/
Old 03-09-2018, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: