Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Green shroud paint

I want to return a shroud to a close approximation of the original green. Anybody have any good experience with rattle-can colors? I know it is possible in some circumstances to polish/buff the original shroud back to "color" but unfortunately, not in this case. Shroud originally came off a 69 E engine.

TIA

Speedo
Old 03-07-2018, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedo View Post
I want to return a shroud to a close approximation of the original green. Anybody have any good experience with rattle-can colors? I know it is possible in some circumstances to polish/buff the original shroud back to "color" but unfortunately, not in this case. Shroud originally came off a 69 E engine.

TIA

Speedo
Many paint jobbers can custom mix your color spot on and put it in a rattle can. They can also supply a catalyzed paint as opposed to an enamel.

Take the shroud to the jobber and they will mix the paint to match.

My jobber will also mix colors by the ounce if I ask. So you can get a high end paint like Glasurit in small quantities and shoot through your gun for a high quality paint job.
Old 03-07-2018, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Green shroud paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcoastline View Post
Take the shroud to the jobber and they will mix the paint to match.
Great idea...unfortunately my go-to automotive paint supplier (Sherwin Williams) closed shop recently.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Great idea...unfortunately my go-to automotive paint supplier (Sherwin Williams) closed shop recently.
There must be someone else around? RM, DuPont, etc. If not take it to HD or Lowes get a color chip that matches. Go on line several on line paint suppliers will mix and mail it to you. Mail them the chip.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
a very good cleaning will likely look better then a paint job.

Chris
73 E
Old 03-07-2018, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
The shrouds are not really a glossy color.

There are options for having flateners (sp?) added to single stage urethane with hardener to dull it down a touch once you have a color match.

Just locate a jobber and bring the shroud in to them. (Pic stolen without shame from previous Pelican thread)

Old 03-07-2018, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
shroud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcfaul View Post
a very good cleaning will likely look better then a paint job.

Chris
73 E
The reason I can't "buff it out" is the PO sprayed the top of the shroud grey. Paint thinner and remover have proved to be ineffective at removing this paint. I am likely to destroy the shroud trying to remove it. Using mechanical means (grinder/sander) won't work due to the 3-dimensionality of the shroud. Rather than screw up the shroud, figured I'd just repaint it...lesser of evils.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Kawasaki motorcycle green. Look in motorcycle mag. you will find their ad.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
The reason I can't "buff it out" is the PO sprayed the top of the shroud grey. Paint thinner and remover have proved to be ineffective at removing this paint. I am likely to destroy the shroud trying to remove it. Using mechanical means (grinder/sander) won't work due to the 3-dimensionality of the shroud. Rather than screw up the shroud, figured I'd just repaint it...lesser of evils.
Speedo- I have used paint stripper on fiberglass boats extensively. You can use paint stripper so long as you use caution to not let it sit to long. When you see the paint start to alligator begin to scrape it off. Neutralize the stripper quickly then repeat where necessary. You can also use a heat gun. Basically the same, when you see a bubble pull the heat back and scrape.

Last edited by drcoastline; 03-07-2018 at 03:13 PM..
Old 03-07-2018, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I used John Deere green in a rattle can that I found at a local Tractor Supply.
Looks good enough for me!
Cheers,
Steve
Old 03-07-2018, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
Try an eraser to rub off the gray
Old 03-08-2018, 11:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Five years ago, i think I used a Rustoleum plastic paint - green. It's very close (or should I say much better) than what the shroud looked like. It's a bit brighter, but not much. I don't know if they sell it anymore, but I probably did it back in 2013. I let it dry two weeks then put high-heat clear over it. It looks decent - and like I said much better than the faded, scratched, dented shroud that was on it.

The pic of the shroud that Bob Kontak posted above is concours compared to what I had in my engine bay. If mine looked like that, I would have kept it original.
Old 03-09-2018, 04:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to GaryR
British Racing Green, shop online.. I would say John Deere green but it's a little bright, similar to Bilstein shocks.
Old 03-09-2018, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to cmcfaul Send a message via Yahoo to cmcfaul Send a message via Skype™ to cmcfaul
May need something high heat.

Chris
Old 03-12-2018, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Speedo- I have used paint stripper on fiberglass boats extensively. You can use paint stripper so long as you use caution to not let it sit to long. When you see the paint start to alligator begin to scrape it off. Neutralize the stripper quickly then repeat where necessary. You can also use a heat gun. Basically the same, when you see a bubble pull the heat back and scrape.
I was thinking the same thing. However, I would get some rubber cloves and paper towels/rags and wipe the paint off once it blisters. Just to bypass the scraping risk.

How do you neutralize the remover? Soap and water?

I like Jasco paint remover. Pushing $30 per gallon and you can get it at Lowe's. Quarts available too. Just get a quart and try it on a smaller area.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
I was thinking the same thing. However, I would get some rubber cloves and paper towels/rags and wipe the paint off once it blisters. Just to bypass the scraping risk.

How do you neutralize the remover? Soap and water?

I like Jasco paint remover. Pushing $30 per gallon and you can get it at Lowe's. Quarts available too. Just get a quart and try it on a smaller area.
Definitely wear gloves, stripper will burn your skin. I have had it get on my skin and blister. What ever works to remove the loose paint. scraper plastic or metal, towels, 3m pads, wire brush. In this case a 3M pad would probably be the best method.

Each stripper has it's own method of neutralization but in general soap and water will neutralize the stripper.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Definitely wear gloves
I spelled them cloves.

Don't ever take a leak in the garage sink while stripping paint. You think it hurts on your fingers?
Old 03-12-2018, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
I spelled them cloves.

Don't ever take a leak in the garage sink while stripping paint. You think it hurts on your fingers?
LOL, TMI, put a one finger glove on.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Luck of the Irish...Maybe the answer is new? Fresh out of matched compression molds, full color impregnated fiberglass with correct texture on both sides. Pictured Left to Right. 69E, 70-72E, 73E,74-77S. Happy St Patrick's ! Ping me at series900.com
Old 03-14-2018, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Shroud repair....

Just finished this one....what I started with...

After a bit of molding, glassing and sanding. Lots of steps that I won't bore you with, but it can be done. Plastic grey air duct has been re-worked and is now ready to be riveted back on. Yes a new shroud would have been nice, but I enjoy "bringing things back"

E green shroud needed some similar repairs and is now ready for paint. Will post the results!

Speedo
Old 03-22-2018, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: