Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
Targa top wind noise

I wanted to check with others that know these things. My targa top is noisy on the passenger side front. above 70mph it gets pretty loud. When the top is on the car, you can see that the vinyl is lifted slightly at one of the folding seams. it doesn't lay completely flat like it probably should. Is this fixed by having a tighter-fitting top vinyl or does it need something else? will a new top vinyl offer some improvement at all?

From looking at it it doesn't seem like there is anything besides the tension of the vinyl to pull it down tight and straight so i'm ready to spend the $200 on a top cover but not ready to spend $3000 to have it completely rebuilt.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There are 8 small clips along the front edge of the top that hold the vinyl down when attached.
Check that these are connecting.
Mine did the same...Pelican sells clips that are slightly longer, to make a better connection...targa top clips.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Your top is breaking down, and will only get worse as time passes. Call Dan:

www.carsincnj.com
Rebuilds usually run $1400

Last edited by Roswell; 03-08-2018 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: repairing link
Old 03-07-2018, 11:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pampadori View Post
From looking at it it doesn't seem like there is anything besides the tension of the vinyl to pull it down tight and straight so i'm ready to spend the $200 on a top cover but not ready to spend $3000 to have it completely rebuilt.
There is webbing that needs to be replaced underneath the vinyl. When you pop the top it keeps everything nice and straight with respect to the front to rear slats.

It's not $3,000, it's just over $1,000 for the all in price for Dan Petchel to do it.

If you do the vinyl yourself get the heavier German vinyl.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The longer clips as stated by poster 2 fixed mine. Just not enough adjustment available in the factory clips to hold.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I just got my top rebuilt by Dan and almost all of the wind noise is gone. He does a beautiful job.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej37 View Post
There are 8 small clips along the front edge of the top that hold the vinyl down when attached.
Mine did the same...Pelican sells clips that are slightly longer, to make a better connection...targa top clips.
$21/Clip is a bit pricey....
Old 03-07-2018, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej37 View Post
Part #: 964-565-265-01-OEM
Wow - $21 each. I'd make sure you need them before trying them! Not really sure how a "better" connection there can help with wind noise but what do I know?!

There's another source of wind noise that can sound like it's coming from the top but is actually the a-pillar at the base where it matches the door. If you carefully inspect the seal you'll see where it widens considerably as it makes its way towards the top of the a-pillar. The spot at which it widens must sit snugly on top of the door frame top, when the door is closed. That corner where everything comes together near your side view mirror is a common source of Targa wind noise (I know, I'm dealing with it now and haven't yet had time to replace the seal.)

Also Dan Petchel sells the correct seal in the case that you need a new one; I'd buy from him rather than buying the one sold by Porsche/Pelican which needs trimming to fit our cars properly.

Good luck! You can get rid of the wind noise and leaks, I've done it! Though it does take time and patience.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I paid 12.99 in 2014 from another supplier, I don't think Pelican offered the improved version back then. Anyway, I only purchased 2 and that was sufficient to fix the problem.

Last edited by walt; 03-07-2018 at 01:57 PM..
Old 03-07-2018, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I had a passenger watch, and at about 25mph the drivers side would lift out of the clips.
Purchased 3 of the longer ones...prob solved. It's been at least 4 years now with no wind noise.
I'm sure the lifting is a sign of something else creating the space, but for a cheaper-temp fix, it worked for me.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt View Post
I paid 12.99 in 2014 from another supplier, I don't think Pelican offered them back then. Anyway, I only purchased 2 and that was sufficient to fix the problem.
Yeah..now that I think of it, it may have been a diff supplier that I bought mine from.
Check the length, if buying.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Vintage Owner

Garage
Might not be a bad idea to have someone video your top at speed.

84 Targa
70 914-6
73 914-6 2.7 conversion
75 GMC Motorhome
Old 03-07-2018, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

You need to post pictures on how your top fits. It will help us understand the issues.

In 2012, I had Dan Petchel redo my top. See the results here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryD View Post
I just got my renewed Targa Top from Dan.

I took it out of the box, opened it fully and placed on my car.

No issues, no drama.

What a difference in look and the seals. Thanks Dan!

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i
2009 MB C300
Old 03-07-2018, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
New-ish 911SC Targa Owner

Garage
ok, when i have some time i'll inspect the top closer and maybe disassemble it some to see if it looks like the clips and new vinyl would help. If i get too far over my head i can ring up Dan and ship it to him i guess. Don't drive it in the rain anyway so once spring hits top can stay off for a while.

Thanks all!
Old 03-08-2018, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Have it properly rebuilt. There are two areas that flex when folding the top and eventually they lose tightness and exhibit what you are seeing. There are plenty of temporary fixes but this is not an area for amateurs. For example, you need to do this while it is hot, with the German vinyl, and stretch it using the technique of "breaking" the frame slightly so that when set back you can bounce a quarter off of it.

But the canvas on the underside that holds the frame structure must be in very good condition. the majority of our Targas are not as nobody seems to think the expense is "worth it" compared to other areas. Fair enough if we are talking brakes but otherwise just get it done right so you never have to worry about it again.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

the link to his wesite doesnt work anymore. I had him do my top about ten years ago. and it is needing it again. the florida sun here is rough.
88 turbo Guards red Targa slant nose, and yes I am a horsepower junkie, 3.4liter,7.5 to 1 JE pistons, Adjustable WUR, Imagine fuel head, 1 bar waste gate headers,allthe cis toys. Now apart to become the next EFI monster. fabbing my own intake, headers Individual throttle bodies, MS-3, pauter rods, Xtreme twin plugged heads, gt-2 evo cams cop's.
05 Cayenne S lapis blue
Old 03-08-2018, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Even a Bad day is good

Garage
Dan did mine and it looks great. You dont want the fabric to tear off at speed it could hurt you or someone else
Old 03-08-2018, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken911 View Post
the link to his wesite doesnt work anymore. I had him do my top about ten years ago. and it is needing it again. the florida sun here is rough.
CARS INC - Vintage And Hard To Find Porsche Everything. Targa Top Restoration, Vintage Parts And Classic Porsches

This one works and was also linked in post #3.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Stands View Post
Might not be a bad idea to have someone video your top at speed.
Exactly what happened to mine after my personal rebuild (before sending to Dan)
Old 03-08-2018, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Wow HarryD, he did a great job on yours. Fits like it should, perfectly. Mine's a little less perfect.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: