Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Are these available to purchase yet? What about my external regulator? Will you offer a new alternator wiring harness that will enable me to bypass my external regulator?

Thanks

David
Old 07-07-2018, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
Are these available to purchase yet? What about my external regulator? Will you offer a new alternator wiring harness that will enable me to bypass my external regulator?

Thanks

David
Looks like some stock is available.

Upgraded Porsche 911 Alternator

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 07-07-2018, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post

Thanks

David
Unless this has something special all you need is to tape off the connection at the external regulator and connect your existing wiring. I just wonder if the existing wires need to be higher capacity.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
The website (and first post of this thread) recommends to change out to #4 AWG cable from alternator to starter. Also the ground to the case. Especially if you are installing their electric A/C unit.
I’ve built a couple of harnesses upgraded to that size cable for this alternator.
He (Johnny) sent one customer a replacement cable with the new alternator, but no provision to add the second wire (from 14 pin connector) to the crimped B+ connector as original. Could run it on a second lug, I cut off the supplied connector and crimped in the second red wire as per original.

Basically you need to remove the entire engine harness and strip out the original red cable and replace it with the larger gauge one to get it through the engine tin grommet to the starter area. (If you want it to look good)

Last edited by timmy2; 07-08-2018 at 12:06 AM..
Old 07-07-2018, 10:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
This is one of them, 3.0 EFI and stand alone ignition going in a ‘71 so just a really basic harness. You can see the routing of the new larger cable.

Last edited by timmy2; 07-08-2018 at 12:03 AM..
Old 07-07-2018, 10:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Finally got round to writing the install manual. It also has technical details and performance figures.

PDF on this page:

Dennis, nice harness! I agree that making a new harness is the correct way to go and a obvious choice if the engine is out.

When the engine is in the car, it is a bit more of a challenge. Most installers elect to leave the original battery+ wire in place but disconnected(heat shrinked and safe). The 25mm2 cable we provide can then be run separately. On my own car (an SC), I made an extra hole in the engine tin (with rubber grommet) and the grey piece of shroud above the oil cooler. This allowed me to feed the wire into the shroud and route through to the alternator. Next time the engine is out I may be giving you a call!
Old 09-12-2018, 02:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
Finally got round to writing the install manual. It also has technical details and performance figures.

PDF on this page:

Anything upcoming for the '89 and up 3.6 motors for us transplant guys?
'71 911T Coupe White, '70 911T Coupe Blue
'68 911 Coupe Orange, '68 911L Soft Window Targa
Old 09-12-2018, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
ROW '78 911 Targa

Garage
Iím always up for some horse trading.
IIRC you would need a Ď78 CIS harness ?

Quote:

PDF on this page:

Dennis, nice harness! I agree that making a new harness is the correct way to go and a obvious choice if the engine is out.

When the engine is in the car, it is a bit more of a challenge. Most installers elect to leave the original battery+ wire in place but disconnected(heat shrinked and safe). The 25mm2 cable we provide can then be run separately. On my own car (an SC), I made an extra hole in the engine tin (with rubber grommet) and the grey piece of shroud above the oil cooler. This allowed me to feed the wire into the shroud and route through to the alternator. Next time the engine is out I may be giving you a call!
Old 09-12-2018, 08:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwanna View Post
Anything upcoming for the '89 and up 3.6 motors for us transplant guys?
Oh yeah, in development! Expecting first engineering samples in a few weeks.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Oh yeah, in development! Expecting first engineering samples in a few weeks.
Johnny,
Would the upgraded alternator eliminate the need for the higher speed
alternator pulley/bearing and make the single pulley retrofit more appropriate?
'71 911T Coupe White, '70 911T Coupe Blue
'68 911 Coupe Orange, '68 911L Soft Window Targa
Old 09-12-2018, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwanna View Post
Johnny,
Would the upgraded alternator eliminate the need for the higher speed
alternator pulley/bearing and make the single pulley retrofit more appropriate?
Almost certainly. Our current 150A unit puts out 75A at idle. We are aiming a bit higher for the 964/993.

(The normal 115A 964/993 unit only manages 40A at idle)
Old 09-12-2018, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Very looking forward to 964 items.

Quote:
Almost certainly. Our current 150A unit puts out 75A at idle. We are aiming a bit higher for the 964/993.

(The normal 115A 964/993 unit only manages 40A at idle)
Old 09-13-2018, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: