Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Well done!
Old 09-26-2018, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks everyone, really appreciate the kind words! Got a few updates from the weekend. First step was insulation. Went with Dynamat Super lite in a few areas and dynaliner. Used Dynapad on the firewall and transmission hump as I figured that's where the majority of noise would come from

Then went ahead and installed the charcoal plush carpet from appbiz. Very happy with the results and went on pretty easily.

Placed the rennline tunnel cover as well as the floorboards as well to see how they'd look. Had them in storage for months and was ansty to see what they'd look like!

Also placed the decklid with the x-faktory grills just to see how it looks and fits.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

Garage
Today I also received my set of yellow "French" lenses for the headlights. Mounted them on the projector assemblies and placed it on the fender to see how it looks. I like the look, still have to paint the color matched headlight rings. Not sure if to go with European tail light lenses as well to match, what do you guys think?

I forgot I had also taken a few pictures of the dash pieces in brushed aluminum in case anyone was interested in seeing what they looked like.

I've had the headliner hanging for a few days to remove some of the creases it had when I received it. I'm hoping to be able to get started on that next as I already have the sunroof motor and the guide tubes wired and installed. Headliner has me a bit worried but we'll see how it goes. I'm also expecting my seats and other interior panels back from the upholstery shop this week as well.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)

got those plates. look great, thanks.
86 944 turbo my new DE/track car.
78 930 clone project car.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

where/who did that dash? my project just has a vinyl dash.

my 85 has full leather and the dash looks similar.

here is what will go with those plates on my project. have reverted the 85 to stock since this pic.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
A bold project AA. Work looks crispy-clean. Nicely done.

Current: '80 Silver Targa w /'85 3.2, '79 Anthracite 930
Prior: '74 Carrera. '79 Silver 930. '79 Black 930.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

Stunning work, sir! I especially like the plush carpeting--I'm about to do the same to my '85. What year kit did you get?
Old 10-04-2018, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)

LOL!!! You crack me up aaguiar27....
"I thought I would start a build thread of my 1985 Carrera that I have plans to do a light restoration on."

Takes apart the ENTIRE car and strips it down to bare metal.... If this is a 'light' restoration, I can't imagine what a 'FULL' restoration would be!!! ;p
Old 10-05-2018, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Loving everything you’re doing. We have similar tastes!
Old 10-05-2018, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)

Wow! I’m totally impressed!

Congrats
Old 10-05-2018, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911tracker85 View Post
where/who did that dash? my project just has a vinyl dash.

my 85 has full leather and the dash looks similar.

here is what will go with those plates on my project. have reverted the 85 to stock since this pic.

Glad to know the plates made it out to you ok! The dash was done in vinyl by a local upholstery shop, Rivero Auto Interiors. I went with vinyl because it would wear better and wouldn't shrink back like leather. The vinyl is also significantly cheaper and at least in black looked as good as the leather samples he had. I have to admit leather does have a better feel and makes for softer more comfortable seats. Plus there's no beating the fresh leather smell. Love the chocolate interior, almost went that route myself but ultimately decided on burgundy/black. That interior will definitely pair well with the brushed plates, good contrast.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discseven View Post
A bold project AA. Work looks crispy-clean. Nicely done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcorgi View Post
Stunning work, sir! I especially like the plush carpeting--I'm about to do the same to my '85. What year kit did you get?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPV911 View Post
Loving everything youíre doing. We have similar tastes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrera C4 View Post
Wow! Iím totally impressed!

Congrats
Thanks everyone! Appreciate the encouragement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trakrat View Post
LOL!!! You crack me up aaguiar27....
"I thought I would start a build thread of my 1985 Carrera that I have plans to do a light restoration on."

Takes apart the ENTIRE car and strips it down to bare metal.... If this is a 'light' restoration, I can't imagine what a 'FULL' restoration would be!!! ;p
Didn't think the slippery slope would be that... well slippery!
Old 10-09-2018, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)

Garage
Some updates from this past week. The headliner was really not so bad after all. Only took a truck load of binder clips and some 3M 08001 adhesive. The upholsterer gave me a few extra yards of the black vinyl used on the dash to cover the A and B pillars. Used some 1/8 thick dynaliner to recreate the factory padding underneath the trimming.

I should have left the headliner clipped on and stretched overnight before gluing as it seemed to stretch the day after with the heat. It's not so bad that its sagging or wrinkling but it isn't as taught as I would've liked. Hopefully the visor brackets and the window seals bring it in a bit more. Does anybody know which screws are used to hold the visor brackets in place? I can't remember and don't want to use sheet metal screws as I doubt thats what the factory did.

And the much anticipated seats made it back from the upholsterer as well! Very happy with the outcome. The pictures are not accurate to the color. The actual color is bordeaux which is much darker. Went ahead and finished the last bits of the interior. All that's missing is the sunroof headliner and the seat belts. Eventually I'll cut out the hole for the shifter and permanently mount the pedals. Also put led floor lights operated by the door jam switch and wired/installed the wipers.

These are the floor accent lights I mentioned taken in the dark.

All the pictures make the seats much more red than they are. This picture is probably the most accurate example of the color I have been able to take.

Bonus Oslo pic

Next steps would be to cosmetically refresh the engine, possibly replace the clutch, install the glass and doors, figure out how what to do finally with the AC, as well as rebuild and install the brake calipers. Not sure which to tackle first honestly as it doesn't seem to matter which I do first. Any suggestions?

Last edited by aaguiar27; 10-09-2018 at 12:43 PM..
Old 10-09-2018, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)

Quote:
The dash was done in vinyl by a local upholstery shop
maybe in person you would notice it is not leather, but from pics looks great. they did a good job.

I took my dash to a local shop, but they did not want to even try. but I have time...

PS. that interior is now totally stock. all of those bits will go into the 78 930 with your dash plates.

keep up the great work.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

PS. I have an older pair of similar Recaro in cloth. will have them recovered.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911tracker85 View Post
maybe in person you would notice it is not leather, but from pics looks great. they did a good job.

I took my dash to a local shop, but they did not want to even try. but I have time...

PS. that interior is now totally stock. all of those bits will go into the 78 930 with your dash plates.

keep up the great work.
I was also turned down by a few local shops to do the dash until I found the one that ultimately did the work. A local porsche specialty shop said they could do it as well but were charging way too much. Almost as much as one of those repro ones if I remember correctly.

The aluminum pieces should look great with the dash plates! What color were you thinking for the seats/interior on the 78?
Old 10-11-2018, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

aaguiar27,
did you put any insulation under headliner?
if yes, can you post some photos
my next job on my 1986 after paint is corrected
Thanks
Stan
Old 10-11-2018, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotaru View Post
aaguiar27,
did you put any insulation under headliner?
if yes, can you post some photos
my next job on my 1986 after paint is corrected
Thanks
Stan

The only insulation I put on the roof, for now, is the spray on ceramic insulation from lizard skin and three 4 in x 4 inch squares of dynamite. I wanted to put on a layer dynaliner foam insulation but it wouldnít stick due to the rough texture of the lizard skin. I might try to stick it on in the future with thicker adhesive if thereís too much noise coming in from the roof. I checked and I should be able to from the zipper in the back. Unfortunately I donít have any pictures of that, but really not much to see honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2018, 09:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Garage

Wrapped up the Clifford 5606x alarm installation tonight. Maybe not the best location in terms of security but Iím hoping to add some other theft deterrents as well. The alarmís main function anyway would be to provide keyless entry with a little extra security. Didnít come with instructions but after a long search I finally found someone who posted the detailed instructions from the viper version of the same alarm.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)

Garage
Got a good amount of things done tonight. Got a pair of 993 quarter window seals in and installed the quarter windows.

Also, test fit the sunroof and fitted the newly painted guide rails and wind deflector. Over the weekend I filled the imperfections in the shifter housing with filler. Finished sanding, priming, and painted it today then reassembled the wevo shifter.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
1985 , 3.2 , build thread , carrera