Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Excellent progress
thanks for info on roof insulation
Any advice/warnings on headliner installation?
Thanks,
Stan
Old 10-16-2018, 12:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotaru View Post
Excellent progress
thanks for info on roof insulation
Any advice/warnings on headliner installation?
Thanks,
Stan

Yes! I made the mistake of setting up the headliner with clips then gluing it all the same day. Make sure to set it up as stretched as you want it with all the clips in place and leave it for a day, preferably in the heat. The next day the material will have stretched out and sagged a bit. You should then stretch it tightly again before gluing.

I did it all in one day, and the next day the headliner was looser than I wouldíve liked. It stretched overnight in the heat but I couldnít do much about it since it was all glued down. Luckily the sunvisor brackets, coat hangers, and dome light cut outs allowed me to pull on the material a bit more.

Build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/991925-1985-carrera-build-thread.html
Old 10-16-2018, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
Great build. Excellent documentation

I also have an 85 Coupe and I wish I had the bank roll and band width to do what you've done. I've enjoyed the car for the last 18 years. But it only has 90 k on it and is exceptionally clean. But at some point I hope to go at it and make everything perfect.

Thanks for the effort.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
I meant to post my car. Because everythings better with photos.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tquaglino View Post
I meant to post my car. Because everythings better with photos.
90k miles? That is mint! Sounds like you have a great car in your hands. Id love to see photos but it looks like it didn't post.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

The transmission/tunnel cover looks cool but will let in a lot of noise. If youíre looking to quiet things down replace it with the stock piece and perhaps even put a little bit of insulation on the underside of it.
Old 10-16-2018, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
Nice
1986 Porsche 911 Carrera, Black
2006 Porsche Cayenne S, Black
Old 10-17-2018, 01:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Determined View Post
Nice

Thank you!

Build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/991925-1985-carrera-build-thread.html
Old 10-18-2018, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNS View Post
The transmission/tunnel cover looks cool but will let in a lot of noise. If youíre looking to quiet things down replace it with the stock piece and perhaps even put a little bit of insulation on the underside of it.

Thank you for the heads up, I hadnít thought of that. With the shift coupler right there and the transmission right behind it thereís plenty of noise that could come into the cabin. Itís a good thing I still have the factory piece and left over carpet to cover it with. Iíll probably have to change them!

Old 10-18-2018, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
I've gotten a few things done I thought I'd post about. Most of it has been finalizing or tightening things down for good. Reassembled the master cylinder/booster assembly after painting and replacing the hoses and switches. Got it installed the car so that I could install the pedal assembly permanently along with the floor boards.

Installed the shifter in the car along with the shift rod with new bushings. Already had a wevo coupler on from before. Rebuilt the door strikers as mine were cracked in a few places and painted them.

I installed a bracket made for an LS motor to be able to use a cable throttle instead of the complicated linkage. Im using a lokar universal stainless cable and everything hooked up just fine at least on the pedal side. Ive used that cable before on other cars with good results. I was worried with how long the cable had to be that it would be rough but as of now its pretty smooth.

I trimmed, tucked, and glued the shift boot I had the upholsterer make for the parking brake and installed it in the car with stainless hardware.

In that picture you can also see the bracket I had to make for the seat belts. It's not the prettiest but I'm not sure what else to so. I used a 3/16 steel plate to reach across and bolt under both seats then attached brey krause seat belt brackets to it to hold the receptacles with grade 8 hardware. It's sturdy and secure but it doesnt look so great inside. Any ideas?

I installed the driver side door which went smoother than I thought.

I went ahead and test fit the rest of the fender and bumper on that side just to see how it look. Pardon the mess, there is a lot going on at once!

I ordered a clear rear window along with a new porsche rear seal. It's been impossible to get the trim on the seal. The seal wants to just fall off the window and I think the trim is not in the correct shape at all. I have to say this is the one task on this car that has frustrated me and made me consider having someone else do. Any suggestions on getting the trim snap on easier? Is it recommended to use windshield adhesive?
Old 10-23-2018, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Garage

App biz door panel installed. Changed the door pull straps for a darker set I made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-27-2018, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
As Megyn Kelly said so memorably: WOW! This thread continues to amaze and delight. You have such excellent taste and such a fine eye for details that make a difference, like the stainless screws on the handbrake boot (though I still like clear lenses better).

I got my charcoal RS carpet set this week from appbiz, so I'll be headed down the same road soon.
Old 10-27-2018, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcorgi View Post
As Megyn Kelly said so memorably: WOW! This thread continues to amaze and delight. You have such excellent taste and such a fine eye for details that make a difference, like the stainless screws on the handbrake boot (though I still like clear lenses better).

I got my charcoal RS carpet set this week from appbiz, so I'll be headed down the same road soon.

Thank you very much for the kind words. No worries I still have clear lenses to swap in every once in a while. Keep me updated on the carpet install, Iíd love to see the final result!

Old 10-28-2018, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Alex, might you be willing to post the materials / parts / costs for this project? This is truly inspiring!!
Old 10-28-2018, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
Alex, might you be willing to post the materials / parts / costs for this project? This is truly inspiring!!
Thank you! To be honest I've been meaning to get all the invoices from pelican and other suppliers to create a spreadsheet, but I just haven't made the time for it. At this point I'm almost scared to make it. I have ballpark figures for each step but nothing concrete. If you want to know what any particular step costs like paint/body, electrical, interior etc I can give you a pretty good estimate of what it would cost to do it the way I did it.

Much of the time tools are what ended up making a project expensive, and having restored a car in the past I had an advantage in that sense. For instance in paint the most expensive thing was the Spies Hecker clear coat. However, I didn't want to use my harbor freight spray gun to do the final coats so I bought myself a tekna that cost almost as much as the clear, around $400. When you consider that the most reasonable paint job estimate I got was $4500 after having doing all the metal and filler work myself, I think the $400 spray gun was justified. I estimate the materials for paint put me in the ballpark of $1700 to $1800 including the spray gun, primer, filler, sandpaper, base, and clear.

Doing this car would be unaffordable if I had someone do it for me, especially since it's a "Porsche."

Old 10-29-2018, 12:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaguiar27 View Post

Bonus Oslo pic

more oslo please!
Old 10-29-2018, 01:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Garage
Got a few things done this weekend. Mounted the driver fender permanently, moved the washer reservoir under it, and installed the headlight to test in conjunction with the fog light I mounted in the brake duct.

Installed the oil cooler and oil cooler lines on the passenger side as well. I also made the connection for the passenger door. Used a water tight cable gland with a deutsch connector at the end of it and wrapped it in a braided sleeve. Works great on the driver side and make it was to disconnect the door if needed.

With the fender on, I was finally able to test fit the fifteen52 formula tr wheels I had been dying to see on the car. The guys at fifteen52 got the fitment just right. Iím glad I went with 16 inch wheels to get the meatier tire look. Now I just need weight on the car!

Old 10-29-2018, 01:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Very nice work. And agree on the 16s.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jac1976 View Post
Very nice work. And agree on the 16s.
Thanks! All the balancing weights came off in the sun because they didn't clean the inside of the wheel before. Going to have to rebalance them.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage
Lots of dirty work this past week. Gave the engine/transmission a very deep clean removing tons of oil and crud.

Installed a new Sachs clutch kit and started putting together the wiring, plumbing, intake manifold, etc. Also painted the fan and housing to match the car.

Finally got both doors with windows on, both fenders on, oil cooler and lines on, and finally the windshield. I gave up on trying to reuse the old trim on the rear window and ordered a new set to see if that helps it to install correctly.

Also the yellow vs. black headlight debate continues!

Old 11-07-2018, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
1985 , 3.2 , build thread , carrera