Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Forgot to mention I also have a dash piece set with no holes whatsoever that should be ready in the coming weeks to delete hvac controls, radio, lighter, fog light switch, defroster switch, and the seatbelt lamp.

Build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/991925-1985-carrera-build-thread.html
Old 11-07-2018, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)
PhD on Pending Projects

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wachuko Send a message via Yahoo to wachuko
What an awesome build. And that color for the shell is spectacular!

1967 - Porsche 912
1981 - Porsche 911 SC
1991 - Porsche 911 C4 Wide-body Cabriolet
Old 11-08-2018, 01:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Garage
1985 Carrera Build Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
What an awesome build. And that color for the shell is spectacular!

Thank you, I appreciate it!

Build: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/991925-1985-carrera-build-thread.html
Old 11-09-2018, 12:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Garage
Alex what a great build. Love the detail. Quick question, earlier in the build it looks like you had a Rennline lower dash but changed back to the oem leather covered knee pads. Did you not like the Rennline. I was thinking of getting the Rennline lower dash and your car is the first I've see with it installed. Also I might be interested in buying some of your parts in anodized black but still in deciding how I will be changing my interior.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian911T View Post
Alex what a great build. Love the detail. Quick question, earlier in the build it looks like you had a Rennline lower dash but changed back to the oem leather covered knee pads. Did you not like the Rennline. I was thinking of getting the Rennline lower dash and your car is the first I've see with it installed. Also I might be interested in buying some of your parts in anodized black but still in deciding how I will be changing my interior.

Hi Brian, thank you for the kind words. Yes itís true, I did change from the rennline lower dash piece back to the oem leather one. The rennline one is great and I like slimmer profile it gives the dash, a little more knee room. However when I designed my own dash pieces I had based the measurements off the oem lower pieces. The problem is that for a seamless look I created a bend in my pieces to match the curve at the ends of the oem piece. When the rennline piece arrived I realized they cut the ends flat at 90 degrees. This caused a strange gap and overlap that I didnít like so I recovered the oem pieces and used them instead.

You can see the tapered down edge in these two pictures. I donít have a picture that close up of the rennline piece at the moment unfortunately. I still have the rennline piece that I never used if youíd like to buy it for cheaper. However, I donít recommend you use the rennline piece with the pieces I made unless you donít mind doing a little trimming. Let me if youíre interested or have any questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 11-12-2018, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Garage
A lot to update on this thread. Since my last post I installed the fenders and doors along with the engine and trans back in the car. Fuel tank, fuel pump, and oil tank went in as well.

I wired in the original bosch motronic system and attempted to start it a few times but had no luck. I had a friend of mine who's very familiar with the motronic system go through it and couldn't find the issue. Rather than start replacing sensors and patching up wiring I decided to start fresh with a MegaSquirt system. In retrospect I realized the problem with the bosch system was a faulty crank position sensor but I realized too late. This was something I had always wanted to do anyway and would've probably done in the near future anyway. I went with a Microsquirt based of a Megasquirt 2.

I was able to replace all the sensors with gm sensors that can be found just about anywhere for a fraction of the price. Being a diy system, I was able to get the standalone ecu wired and running for possibly less than the cost of fresh sensors for the old bosch unit. This includes new wiring. Unfortunately I didn't snap too many pictures of this process. I ended up putting the ecu under the seat in the factory position along with the new fuel pump and ecu relays. The wiring passed through the original hole by the rear seat and I created and engine harness wrapped in insultherm high heat wire loom.

To make wiring a little easier, I switched to s197 mustang high impedance 24 lb injectors as well. After finally creating a base tune based on what I could gather of the original ignition and fuel maps online, the car turned over (although a little rich)!

Motivated that I would soon be able to take the car for a drive, I finished a few loose ends I had in the suspension and installed the calipers after rebuilding and painting them. I finally bled the brakes, adjusted the clutch and throttle pedal. After a few more days of tuning I got it running well enough to do some street tuning. I put the bumpers, decklid, and hood on and went for the first drive in almost a year last week.

Still have some panel gaps to adjust and have to lower the rear a bit more. The interior is all wrapped up too. Suspension still needs some aligning adjusting and the tune still needs work. Overall I'm very happy with how it drives. The suspension is tight but not harsh at all and the cabin noise is minimal. This is how she stands now

Last edited by aaguiar27; 01-15-2019 at 10:10 PM..
Old 01-15-2019, 10:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Garage
Looks, fantastic, Alex! Really love the color.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaguiar27 View Post
Forgot to mention I also have a dash piece set with no holes whatsoever that should be ready in the coming weeks to delete hvac controls, radio, lighter, fog light switch, defroster switch, and the seatbelt lamp.

Did you end up making this? Any pics of the finished piece?
Old Yesterday, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Looks very nice.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcorgi View Post
Looks, fantastic, Alex! Really love the color.
Thank you!

Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 786 View Post
Did you end up making this? Any pics of the finished piece?
I did but due to the holidays there was a bit of a delay. The pieces are scheduled to be finished the first week of February. I'll update you with pictures as soon as they're done!

Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 Rod View Post
Looks very nice.
Thanks!

Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
1985 , 3.2 , build thread , carrera