Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 911 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
RennStand by Safe Jack review

After having the car slide off a jack stand under one of the rear torsion bar covers, thought I would give these a try. They’re not cheap but are made well and work pretty good. One places the horizontal cross piece between the jack pad and floor jack, lift the car, then attach the two side legs. Once the car is up, mine was just a bit weighted to the front, but if you’re removing items off the car, you would need to limit travel in front and/or back. You need a floor jack that fits between the legs and lowers down fairly well.

Old 03-30-2018, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Why is this better than using a jackstand on the rear torsion bar ?
Old 03-30-2018, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

where did you find those stands?
Old 03-30-2018, 06:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
When I redid the suspension, I used ER’s quick change spring plates, these have a step in the tube, so not quite as stable. The jack pad fits into the large saddle provided with the jack stand so it’s fairly secure.

Here’s a link....
RennStand
Old 03-31-2018, 02:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks, expensive but look effective and extra safe
Old 03-31-2018, 03:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Kind of Blue

Garage
Interesting. I've been kicking around getting something different than a jack/jackstand to lift my car. I think the portable hydraulic lift Pelican sells is a bit large/expensive for my tastes but I'd like something that inspires a bit more confidence than traditional jackstands. Perhaps this is it.

Last edited by MrBonus; 03-31-2018 at 04:36 AM..
Old 03-31-2018, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I'd have a lot more confidence in traditional jack stands than some unknown product from a startup in someone's basement.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
Hmm. Interesting. Would be great if they just made it with a piece of square tubing welded to the stand that fit the 911 and didn't require that I use my own jackpad. Maybe that is what they are working on.
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 03-31-2018, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I applaud the effort/innovation. And would consider for use in some situations, but...

That side lift port that the factory put in the chassis has always made me nervous.

I think it was intended to lift half the car (right or left not front rear) at an angle for changing a tire. Not to support the entire rear 70% of the car when both sides are used. It just seems to flexy when ever I use it.

Did they use that lift point on the race cars? Seems like I have seen pics of that. Of course it may have been tied in with the roll cage.
RSR look hot rod, based on 75' SOLD
73 911t 3.0SC Hot rod Gulf Blue - Sold.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I’ll keep a backup set of stands on the front/rear torsion bar covers for awhile, I like redundancy. I have been lifting the car to get it on jack stands with the jack pad for many years, jack pad receptacle seems robust, but my car is only ~2400lbs.
Old 04-01-2018, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I have a set of these and I use them on the pinch welds of my GTI. I used them under the jack pad (only one side up at a time) for a brake bleed on the SC, but am wondering about other mount points that can be used with the stands as intended. Have you lifted the rear only? I've read tons of posts discussing various lifting points and I'm wondering where to try with these stands.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
I'd have a lot more confidence in traditional jack stands than some unknown product from a startup in someone's basement.
I agree Those cross pieces where the jack pads sit don't look too safe,
Old 05-01-2018, 02:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
shh-the robot is sleeping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockdown View Post
After having the car slide off a jack stand under one of the rear torsion bar covers, thought I would give these a try. [/img]
Would you tell us more about what happened so we do not replicate it? Did you place the jack stand on the outboard portion of the tube in the wheel well? If so, my understanding is that that is an incorrect location. The jack stand should be place on the tube inboard from the well.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Ancora Imparo

Garage
I jack up each side and then use Race Ramp Cribs under each wheel. This option won’t work for suspension or brake tasks, but for changing oil or most other things they work well. And they feel much more safe than jack stands. With jack stands I get a little nervous under the car pulling on exhaust or doing anything that requires some muscle.

https://raceramps.com/car-ramps/garage-and-service-ramps/8-wheel-cribs/
Old 05-01-2018, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
If anyone is looking for a great set of heavy-duty jack stands, take a look at the link below. The Esco stands that we offer have been incredibly popular with our community and have had only great reviews from users. Please let us know if you have any questions.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/ShopCart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_ESCOjs-detail.htm
Old 05-01-2018, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The Rennstands work, are safe and are popular with water-cooled owners I know. Those cars have no central jacking point so Rennstands or JackPoints are quite popular.

Last edited by adias; 05-01-2018 at 08:52 PM..
Old 05-01-2018, 08:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: